pronunciation

Korba

It depends on which planet you live :D

From what I read of Herbert's interviews, he had his own ways but did not really bother about such things and seemed to bother more about the content itself, the essence of the books. There still may be a "correct" pronounciation in the sense that it was used by Herbert though, but I don't know what it is. Or it may just depend on wether a movie was done in UK or USA, wether it was made by a director or another, wether anything that was environmental.

Harkonnen (which I pronounce HARK-O-NENN, with emphasis on the 'O') is I think from Finnish. There was a topic about it somewhere that I can't seem to find...

I've always pronounced it 'PRESS-SEE-ENCE,' but like Egeides said, it would probably depend on the planetary (or regional) accent of the speaker.

Other words? Well I've always pronounced crysknife 'KR-ICE-NIFE' as opposed to 'KRISS-NIFE,' I'm not sure what the signifiance of that may be.

Then there's Leto, which can be either 'LAETOE' or 'LEETOE.' I have no real preference between them, but tend to use the latter.

There's more, but first CHOAM. Does anyone else just say 'KO-AM,' when refering to them? This one's an abbreviation so it's not so important, I just wondered.

Yes I could not find the thread about Finnish Harkonnen.

Harkonnen is Finnish, and Frank Herbert found the name in a California telephone book.

This info is found in Dreamer of Dune which I am currently 1/3 through. If you want a good read, read this book. You will understand Frank Herbert a lot more. And it is actually written quite well.

Dante, your avatar does not sure up in IE.

He's right; it does.

If you want the best authority, check Ebay for vinyls of the Dune audio books.  They were read by Mr. Herbert himself.  I have an MP3 of the Gadhean Al-Fali/Alia-reveals-her-Inner-Baron scene on CD somewhere.  He uses special voices and everything!

Anyway, I used to have one where he pronounced "Tleilax", and as I recall, he said it similar to how they did in the film (which is sort of how it's spelled - "tlAY'-lax".  Sort of.

Anyway, I usually tend to follow the films in just about every pronunciation, as it was the first one I had seen.  The pronunciations in the miniseries was one thing I didn't really like about it.  ONE thing.

Sardaukar I pronounce sar-doo-kar, Sar being pronounced like that disease SARS without the S, and kar like car. Melange I really don't know how to pronounce it. It sounds like a French word, so it seems like it should sound like mel-onj-ay. But everyone else pronounces it mel-onj, so now I say mel-onj, and I have no idea how to pronounce it. Lasgun I say laz-gun. Landsraad I say land-srod.

yeah definitely towards what nema said with Leto.

In the greek it is how nema said. With the Lambda, eta, tau, and omega. So it would sound kinda like LAE-TOW. THat is probably what it sounds like.

Sardaukar I pronounce sar-doo-kar, Sar being pronounced like that disease SARS without the S, and kar like car. Melange I really don't know how to pronounce it. It sounds like a French word, so it seems like it should sound like mel-onj-ay. But everyone else pronounces it mel-onj, so now I say mel-onj, and I have no idea how to pronounce it. Lasgun I say laz-gun. Landsraad I say land-srod.

I pronounce Sardaukar 'SAR-DAU-KAR,' except I tend to ommit the 'au' so it turns out more like 'SAR-D'-KAR.'

Melange: 'MELL-ANJ.' Never even occured to me that it should be French.

Lazgun: 'LAZE-GUN.' As in, 'laser gun.'

Landsraad: 'LANDS-RADE;' 'RADE,' rhyming with 'Bard,' 'lard,' and 'hard.' Though sometimes it morphs into 'RAD,' rhyming with 'bad,' 'lad,' and 'had.'

Heighliner should be obvious... Prescience? Like conscience, so that would be... 'PRE-SHENCE.' Hmm... I prefer 'PREZ-EE-ENCE,' really...