pronunciation

Korba

"Atreides is from the Greek, meaning son of Petreus"

That is a hell of a typo... P seems the furthest letter from A possible!

"isn't it OK to assume that most of the words FH uses are from the Greek"

No!

We know that Harkonnen is Finnish, that a lot of the Chakbosa words are arabic, so why on earth should we assume the rest is greek?!

"Atreides is from the Greek, meaning son of Petreus"

That is a hell of a typo... P seems the furthest letter from A possible!

In other words, it's Atreus, not Petreus, Viq. Just thought a bit of clarification was needed...

• 2 months later...

Hmmm how does Fedaykin go; I take the EFBD way even before Emperor.

The EBFD way: FED-A-KIN

Miniseries: FE-DIE-KIN

and how the heck did they come to how to prononce Bene in BG or BT?

Lynch's movie says: BENNIE

I think the miniseries says BEN-E (short E)

Fedaykin is arabic. It seems to have quite a few letters (written in abjad) for an arabic word, but nevetheless, it's presumably not just a lexical root.

Here are what I consider the two main possibilities for its spelling - and so pronunciation.

fedaykin (فدكن)

fedaykiyn (فدكين)

In either case, the e would be short, the ay similar to BrE 'eye' - [αι], and the f, d, k, n as the English consonants. In the former case, the i would be a short i [ι] and in the latter, iy is the arabic long vowel with BrE value 'ee' [i:]

Bene Gesserit is bad Latin. "As in Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that's more to do with english spelling rules. Words fully assimilated into the language, such as genius, were subject to sound changes such as [g] > [dʒ]. I'm just giving the Latin pronunciation, which should be preferred in this case.

maybe I'm not paying attention but why was it again that we should prefer the latin pronunciation?

Well, I'm just giving the rules for the pronunciation of nonnative words. When addressing someone as monsieur, you don't pronounce it as an english word, but a French one. Only when a word is actually converted into a native word do native spelling rules apply: and Bene Gesserit is definitely not of such a form.

On the other hand, I can't tell you how FH intended it (I suspect that has a lot to do with his association of the Jesuits with the BG). I can only tell you the way you would expect it be pronounced.