Mozilla FireFox

beta version?

I might do so. I didn't try the bon echo (?) or whatever 2.0 version was out previously.

I'll wait for reports of what extensions don't work with it. Cant live without several of them.

Nightly tools might make them work.

And the spell checkers only help people to continue to make the same spelling mistakes. I think that is similar to what is happening to me with Miranda programs spell check I have set to correctly spell words I often mispell.

Although it is good for the auto capitalization, and adding apostrophes (miranda).

I had problems with my nokia phone when trying to text someone, the word exercise kept causing me problems, and I always use predictive texting. I was stumpted, having tried  a few ways, before just going back to the old tap tap tap method, and spelling it what I thought I knew it should be.

Using Beta 2 at the moment. While installing it informed me none of the skins were compatible. Then when you actually see the window, where fasterfox appears in 1.5 (lower right-hand), it's now gone - another component incompatible -- like without a doubt the others installed as well.

Oh well, it's a Beta. But it surprised me that there'd be that much of a transition in terms or coding or anything else that'd make those not work.

Looks-wise, same old Firefox (unless I'm missing something).

On the plus, it seems quicker. I have a 8mb cable connection. But even before that, when I had 4mb, and until I upgraded to Beta 2.0, the difference between IE and Firefox was ill-to-nothing: They were both unreasonably slow. But now, perhaps particular to me only (hell, might be making it up) browsing actually seems quicker than 1.5 -- with the add-ons.

The spell check thing is decent. This post is actually the first application. It dots under the misspelled word very lightly. Perhaps there's even an option to correct it somewhere, just haven't found it (if there isn't it'd sort of defeat the purpose).

I've never been much of a fan of either IE, or Firefox in all brutal honesty. Both seen ridiculously slow for a broadband connection. Security loopholes in Microsoft's own software aren't comforting, but the annoyance of having to download 800 things for Mozilla, while dealing with a speed gain claim I never much saw before upgrading to Beta 2.0 (though I might have missed it), made its counterpart not very appealing either.

Awhile ago, in this thread I think it was Andrew who said the start-up speed in Firefox was so slow in comparison to IE because Mozilla had to actually load, where as when you started Windows IE was basically already running. If they could find a way to do the same, or make it a possible option at least, that'd be very appealing. That three or four second lag drives me up the wall.

That and the themes. I shouldn't have to restart the browser to apply a scheme.

But all-in-all, noting the fact Firefox visually doesn't transform much, along with the coding/add-ons taking it on a step-by-step basis, I'm impressed by 2.0 over 1.5 thus far.

[attachment deleted by Gobalopper]

Really? So do you have common bookmarks of pages you visit daily there? or pages that you don't visit much? What usage? Can it be an icon only (using the website icon) and click on it (that would be cool).

I have 7 multimedia buttons bookmarks programmed into my keyboard (press a button and firefox opens to that page), so maybe that is why I havn't found that appealing.

Dunno about getting rid of the text, but I certainly find it useful. Being able to put folders on it, then open a folder of book marks with one middle click of the mouse, good.

Note my first link, a folder called Dune2k. It opens the main site forum with New replies already showing, it opens the old XWIS whos online page and finally it opens RA's whos online page. All my dune2k needs satisfied in one click, and its one click I always do when I get on my comp.

Another good thing about FF is that I can copy the directory from here, take it to work, where I have FF installed (maybe an older version) and copy the folder over with my one from home, and hey bingo, its exactly like my home setup. no need to reinstall the same extensions at work, or for my friends or relatives, just copy my setts, delete my bookmarks they dont need (leave www.dune2k.com on there thogh :)).

-=-=-=- Edit -=-=-=

Added pic.

[attachment deleted by Gobalopper]

Good review.

You don't actually use the bookmarks toolbar do you? (at least not with those links :P)

First thing I do is get rid of that toolbar/pane.

(it is below the navigation buttons for those that are confused)

No, I don't. Just lazy.

Oh, and I was planning to attach a smiley but uh...

FLASH DOESN'T WORK. You say what does that have to do with a smiley?

Nothing animated works.

Not chatrooms, not java -- nothing. No bullshit. I even re-downloaded the latter.

They do *not* work with Beta 2.0. Now I understand it's a beta, but not allowing anything animated/flash/java? That's ridiculous.

Back to IE. I fail to see what you guys find in this browser.

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed the Download Status Bar. Lets see if this makes things better with downloading. I have already got the FlashGot/GetRight setup working, but for the times I dont/cant use GetRight, its good to try Download Status Bar.

Yah, I can't stand standard download manager for firefox (opens new window etc), I use download status bar in mini mode, and mini mode only. Use it for small files that would download in less than 5 minutes, larger files (10 mb+) I use free download manager with flashgot extension. Easy to use. click on a link, tell it to download in firefox, shows at bottom right of browser its downloading, when its done I right click and tell to clear finished (it clears finished on exit setting I think anyways).