Mozilla FireFox

I don't think for 1.0.7. Unless the file you downloaded was smaller than if you would have downloaded the installation file.

I think this is only being implemented for 1.5 beta and above.

As the release notes say.

Automated update to streamline product upgrades. Notification of an update is more prominent, and updates to Firefox may now be half a megabyte or smaller. Updating extensions has also improved.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently using FireFox 10.7 without any extension.

FireFox 1.07 still has memory leaks, i have two computers, my laptop is Win98se + 256Mo, my desktop is Win98se + 128Mo and really suffers from FireFox memory leaks (i don't complain however because IE has even higher memory footprint, is unstable and unsecure, IE is the perfect Windows crasher).

My question is: how does FireFox 1.5 beta compares memory-wise?

Less memory leaks, or more memory recommended?

I mean FireFox 1.5 is not a big step feature-wise, so with only 128Mo RAM the memory consumption makes the difference whether i upgrade or not.

Any idea, any measurements?

I've noticed that Firefox crashes more for me using the beta 1.5, especially on exits. Don't know about memory. I tried the 1.6 alpha (deer park) but not many plugins were compatable. So I switched back to 1.5. Actually deer park didn't overwrite 1.5 at all.

I'd probably stick with 1.0.7 for stability reasons. My guess is 1.5 final will be released around november.

It will be recommending the 1.0.x versions until 1.5 is final.

Firefox Tweak Guide

Interesting guide, I am trying out page 6, Streamlined Firefox Layout

Would be great for people with a good resolution size.

EDIT - Don't think I'm going to like it that way, as winamp is in the way and so is konfabulator of the address bar and buttons.

Trying to figure out how to add folder shortcuts up there.

Also got Download Status Bar as I dislike having the download window popup when downloading files through firefox program (usually small files, I use flashgot for large files)) Minimode is great. and hides it even more.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually there are browsers out there that are very small in size and use small amounts system resources.

I forget what they are though. :(

Minimo Might be a good mozilla product. (but not the ones I was thinking of.

Googling came up with Dillo

Dunno if they support php.

EDIT:

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/

Does it still work to protect against phishing sites even if it is hidden (think hiding the navigation toolbar and bookmarks toolbar)

Interesting. I checked fro updates via help/check for updates in Firefox. It said that there was an update which was Firefox 1.5 RC1, the filesize was ~300kb(maybe i forget). It downloaded, installed it, restarted firefox, then proceeded to download a 6mb file. when that was done it asked to restarted firefox to install it. It did. Now i checked for updates again and I'm at the same screen I was at the begiining telling me to updated to Firefox 1.5 rc1.

Tried again, the update was ~600 kb

It's downloading the 6 mb file again... I'm gonna try to manually download the 5mb file from mozilla.org and install it.

In the about box it still says 1.5 beta 2.

EDIT:

I downloaded the 5mb file and installed it. It works fine now and is Firefox 1.5 version.

Good thing about the newest version is some of the Bugfixes

Noteably the 312527 - Need to reduce padding for bookmark menu items. bug.

• 3 weeks later...

Firefox RC3 was released today, not many changes.

I think they will be releasing 1.5 soon.

I think its safe to say that once we see what RC3 offers (any problems also), it could be wise to update to latest release/RC.

Look for the mozillazine report about the release on mozilla.org

Also MozBackup

Program to backup firefox profile and extensions.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, there is a difference.

They released RC3 (which had changes from RC2), and once they thought that RC3 was good enough as a release, it became 1.5. People who got RC3 have no need to get the 1.5 version, as 1.5 is RC3. Both versions are exactly identical (RC3 came out as 1.5 in the help->about box).

Internet Explorer??

Get some other browser. :P

Adblock with filterset.g, keeps about 95% of ads from appearing in my browser. It's great. Cant stand IE with all the ads.

Hey, dont come to the Firefox thread without expecting some serious abuse/flaming if you support IE. we eat you guys for breakfast here...well Andrew does :P

I use IE sometimes at work, when I am working on other peoples machines, and it stinks.

Anyway, I got 1.5, tried to check out the cricket scores on cricinfo.com, and it gave an error about an infinate loop on a badly coded page, and then let me re-try, which I thought was nice.

A new plugin has been released.

I havn't tried it, but it seems to be very popular (people recommending it, and it had 13,000 downloads in the past week, released Nov 19)

foXpose

Lets you view tabs inside a browser. Look at the pic at mozdev to see what it does

EDIT:

Tested it, seems like it could be good in some circumstances. Will have to see what new comes out in newer versions.

Click on the button on bottom left corner of firefox to see what it does after installed/restart.

Tried them both. Personally I think Tab Preview is more useful in day-to-day situations.

Got the newest version of Download Manager Tweak, which shows up the options as simply a OK and Cancell button in no window at all ! They are free floating buttons. Quite funny really.

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

• 4 weeks later...

Fasterfox

Has anyone tried this plugin yet? It prefetches and seems to make browsing faster (since it fetches the pages before you click them). Changes some other settings. People say it increases the speed by huge amounts, but I am worried about using it and how it will affect computer performance.

Dynamic speed increases can be obtained with the unique prefetching mechanism, which recycles idle bandwidth by silently loading and caching all of the links on the page you are browsing.

If I remember correct there was a browser which did that. They stopped with it as it's considered a security risk and can consume to much bandwidth.

Yah, I was worried about wasting bandwidth, (I'm on high speed cable, but downloading constantly  slows computer down).

I mean if I used it and visited this forum would it click on every link on a page and cache it? What a waste. The internet is fast enough for me :P I can wait a second or two.