should violent video games be banned?

Vidi

Pff, you all are ignorant, which is obvious, since you are civilians.  But I had to walk fifteen miles in the sand and snow in 'Nam, and we liked it!  We all know how bad violence is to our youth.  We have these unsubstantiated and untracable studies to prove it.  I think we should ban all violent games, and TV, and movies, and books, and newspapers, and music.  We should get them hooked on something healthy and positive instead, like smoking.  Then they can be good church-goin' boys who'll never hurt a fly, unless we draft 'em to.  Remeber, guns don't kill people, liberal pansy-ass flip-floppers do!  God-f*cking-bless America, and if you don't like it, you can just GIT OUT!

::)

Should we ban them or not?

I nearly thought it was Vidiware putting such weird question. Of course not! Too much sensitivity in seeing death or violence isn't good, so it could be smoothed trough simulation. It makes us tougher, what has some counterarguments, but still is better than a psychical crash after first wound...

If this is indeed in association with the killing that took place in Febuary of this year, in Braunstone Frith, then it does take on a different perspective.

Why?

"Oh no, video games have caused a person's death! Ban them!"

I say ban cars, becuase compared to games, they are the end of the world.

And we should put up fences so people can't bathe, especially in the ocean, because a lot kids( as well as grownups ) drown everey year.

Cyborg your being a jackass I did not say ban them, I have in no way changed my opinion of the ban. 

I wasn't talking about you, but all those stupid mothers and fathers out there who don't have a clue about what's bad for their kids.

I don't play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don't want them on the shelves

Patrick Pakeerah

Victim's father

Dear victim's father

School is a dangerous place! You made a mistake by sending your kid to school.

You do know that school is a far more dangerous place than at home in front of Manhunt, don't you?

I often wonder if people just blame their actions on video games in the hopes that it might get them off the hook or a reduced sentence or just pure sympathy....

Or maybe the mother hopes for a lawsuit or something ... who knows... i think that parents just want to blame SOMETHING other than their

OK cyborg clarification accepted.

I think the game of the moment in question is "Manhunt".

Here is the story behind some of the controversy surrounding the murder of a young man and the video game. Game blamed for hammer murder.

In publically advertized movie Troy is mighty Ajax crushing his enemies with a dreadful maul, that could have same effect; let mothers protect their children from such evil pagan gods like Svarog or Thor  ;D