Petroglyph...What could they be working on?

ryan3k

So if Petroglyph wanted to make a game like E:BFD, who should they buy any rights from? From he who owns the right to the books, the films or the games? E:BFD had nothing to do with the films that wasn't in the books and viceversa.

What's the difference?

Dreamcatcher are allowed to use the actual dune plotline, which EA/Westwood have never been allowed to.

So if Petroglyph wanted to make a game like E:BFD, who should they buy any rights from? From he who owns the right to the books, the films or the games? E:BFD had nothing to do with the films that wasn't in the books and viceversa.

E:BFD was, I believe made from the film liscence, so if they wanted to make a game like it they would need that license, which belongs to the De Laurentiis studio. The book license remains with the Herbert family, which is probably in the charge of Brian Herbert these days.

Dreamcatcher are allowed to use the actual dune plotline, which EA/Westwood have never been allowed to.

E:BFD was, I believe made from the film liscence, so if they wanted to make a game like it they would need that license, which belongs to the De Laurentiis studio. The book license remains with the Herbert family, which is probably in the charge of Brian Herbert these days.

Interesting. That means Frank Herbert's Dune must have licensed from Dreamcatcher. Any Dune RTS Petroglyph could be making will probably, like E:BFD, not follow the original (film)storyline and would therefore have to license from the De Laurentiis studio. Thanks for the information.

There are several Dune Licences.  The westwood games are based on the film, those rights were purchased from Dino.  Frank Herberts Dune was from the miniseries lisence, whch Cryo has.  Then there is still the book liscence up for grabs.

hey guys i went to that company Petroglyph and i sent n email to them telling how much we would love a dune game . maybe if we can  get a group of people to ask for it they'll do it. ya kno? money is in groups, and groups therefore have power. As for the book liscence. No one has a game liscence to it. or if they do, there doin jack shit wit it.Although making campaigns to the books might be a little hard but it will be rewarding .  The  crew of petro should send me n email back. i'll post it on here. they said on the site that they r eager to tel us of there project as soon as the guy in charge lets them. :D hopefully soon. ;)

There are several Dune Licences.  The westwood games are based on the film, those rights were purchased from Dino.  Frank Herberts Dune was from the miniseries lisence, which Cryo has.  Then there is still the book liscence up for grabs.

But didn't Cryo go bankrupt or something, which was why Dune Generations was cancelled? What then happened to their license?

All these different licenses are confusing me, but it does mean Petroglyph could get hold of one if they wanted.

It seems like Cryo had nothing to do with Far Cry.

Far Cry was made by Crytek Studios. Cry and Cryo is similar in the way of spelling, but I doubt it's them...

The game was published by Ubisoft.

Also, Cryo has no Internet site... I bet they really went bankrupt when people said so...