The game of E3

EWS

I've seen the stolen HL2 engine. And it looked like crap. The release is ought to be better or it is laughable.... the models were decently detailed. But the engine was definetly not blasting me away... and that was the engine from like 8 months ago.

I always thought Half-Life 2 would have about the same quality as Far Cry.

The terrain isn't great in HL but the physics engine is the best yet as is the AI, I think. The facial features and movement is also more complex than doom by a huge amount. Oh, and unrelated to the graphics is that HL has a plot.

And Rene - 8 months? No wonder.

no wonder? HL2 was set to be released last september, I think it was then that the engine was stolen. The release date was then delayed to christmas, and now to coming summer. HL2 has been in development for quite a while now

The thing that really got me about Doom III was the flash light, it was just fantastic.  I am considering getting the HL2 code, but I think that might ruin it for me as I have one of them free vouchers for the game.

Any other games people were interested at?  What about the PSP or the DS?

no wonder? HL2 was set to be released last september, I think it was then that the engine was stolen. The release date was then delayed to christmas, and now to coming summer. HL2 has been in development for quite a while now

The code leaked at that time was an alpha - incomplete, much as the doom 3 beta v2 is even now incomplete.

I've heard ID plans to launch Doom3 at the 15th of June, and Sierra their Half-Life 2 on the 30th of the same month.

However, release dates, especially from uncertain sources tend to be very inaccurate.

Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft and StarCraft: Ghost and Valve Software's Half-Life 2. HL2, because I await that it will feature an incredibely awesome singleplayer, like HL1 had in it's own time. WoW and Ghost... Well... They're Blizzard's games, and since I like all of their games and I own all of their games... Well.. That kinda explains it all.

Whats PSP and DS?

Have you been living under a rock for a year??? :O :O :O :O :O

PSP: Playstation Portable

DS: New Nintendo Handheld with two screens.

Pictures

DS

nintendo_ds.jpg

PSP

psp_03_big.jpg

And just to let you know, the DS IS NOT the GBA2.

You want more details?

PSP

Game Titles

Many games in a wide variety of much-loved PlayStation series' have been announced so far for the PSP, along with a few new titles, these include:

# Ape Escape,

# Death Jr,

# Dynasty Warriors,

# Fighting Spirits (brutal looking beat 'em up)

# Formula 1 2004,

# Free Running (from Eidos; based on the urban sport, also known as 'Le Parkour'),

# Frogger

# Gran Turismo 4,

# Hard Corps (a PSP version of SCEE London Studios' Hardware: Online Arena),

# MediEvil,

# Mercury (control a blob of coloured mercury, guiding it through puzzle environments),

# Metal Gear Acid,

# Metal Shell (a tank game)

# NBA Street,

# Need for Speed Underground,

# NFL Street,

# Spider-Man 2

# This is Football 2005,

# Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf,

# Tony Hawk's Underground 2,

# Twisted Metal World Tour,

# WipEout Pure,

# WRC (World Rally Championship)

# Ys: The Ark of Napishtim,

# Zero Hour (third-person action shooter)

and loads more.

Please bear in mind that at this point in development we can't guarantee that all of these titles will make it to your PSP in finished form.

Developers & Publishers

A mammoth 99 development studios are supporting PSP at present, including...

Bandai, CAPCOM, KOEI, Konami, NAMCO, Sammy, Sega, SNK, Square Enix, Taito, Activision, Atari, Bethesda, EIDOS, EA, LucasArts, Midway, Rockstar / Take 2, Snowblind, SOE, THQ, Ubisoft, Vicarious Visions, Acclaim, Codemasters and Rebellion.

(A full list of the companies is posted below.)

Technical Specifications

PSP comes in a black color, with a 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD centered in a sleek ergonomic design with a high quality finish that fits comfortably in the hands. The dimensions are 170mm x 74mm x 23mm with a weight of 260g. PSP features a high quality TFT LCD that displays full-color (16.77 million colors) on a 480 x 272 pixel high-resolution screen. It also comes complete with the basic functions of a portable player such as built-in stereo speakers, exterior headphone connector, brightness control and sound mode selection. Keys and controls inherit the same operability of PlayStation

DS

Nintendo's latest innovation, code-named Nintendo DS, provides users with a unique game-play experience using features never before offered by any other home console or hand-held game system. This portable personal entertainment and communications unit provides owners with new perspectives on dual screens, new control using both touch and voice, and new connections with two kinds of wireless game play. It's a newfound canvas on which developers can express their creativity.

Dual Screens: Two LCD screens offer one of the most groundbreaking game-play advances ever developed: experiencing a game from two perspectives at once. Imagine the possibilities. In a racing game, drivers might see their own vehicle's perspective on one screen and an overall track view on the other. In a role-playing game, the action could take place on the first screen while the second provides a reference for a player's tools inventory. Game play also could use both screens at once, offering a giant boss for heroes to defeat. In the future, games could be created allowing users to play games on one screen while text messaging other DS users on the other. Each 3-inch screen can reproduce a true 3-D view and is backlit to assure comfortable play in any lighting condition.

Touch Screen: The lower screen will offer something never before provided by any game device: PDA-like touch capabilities. Players no longer have to rely on just buttons to move characters or shift perspectives. They can navigate menus or access inventory items simply by touching the screen with stylus or fingertip. A software-based keyboard might even allow the screen to be used as an input center for games and messaging. The possibilities are limited only by developers' imaginations. The screen will have a tougher film cover for durability, and will come with a stylus.

Microphone: An available microphone port means that in the future, players might need only to tell their games what to do. DS software could identify everything from voice commands to hand-clapping. Players might be able to move their characters simply by telling them which way to go. The voice capabilities also could allow gamers to chat with one another over the Internet while playing.

Wireless: DS users will be able to connect with a local wireless network of up to 16 players. Nintendo's guaranteed range is 30 feet, but will extend far beyond that depending on circumstances. It assures high response rates required for real time game play, and will make use of both IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary communication protocol, which provides low battery consumption. Players will be able to chat and play games without any connecting cords, completely untethered. The DS technology also provides for a wireless LAN connection, which could allow a theoretically infinite number of players to connect at a hot spot and compete at a central game hub on the Internet, even if they're thousands of miles apart.

Wireless Game Sharing: If software developers desire, multiple players can compete in wireless games, even if only one person has a game card inserted. Players could also test-play games for themselves as long as they stayed connected.

3-D: With the newly developed graphics engine, DS can reproduce impressive 3-D renderings that can surpass images displayed on the Nintendo

Well the PSP is being billed as a peripheral and not a handheld console (you know like a palmtop/pda that focus mainly on gaming).  The DS will be my choice as it will be cheaper (around the

Nintendo announces 100 DS developers, 40-plus games

Massive game-maker touts its portable's growing catalog, massive third-party support.

Today in the Japanese press, Nintendo announced that it has shipped DS software development kits to more than 100 companies worldwide. That figure puts the DS a nose ahead of the PSP for third-party support: Sony claims 99 developers are on board for its new handheld.

So far, the DS game catalog is a varied bunch. First-party games are a perennial strength for Nintendo, and it's not surprising that they are the cornerstone of its new platform's catalog. So far, Nintendo has announced the following DS games:

Nintendo

Animal Crossing DS

Mario Kart DS

Metroid Prime: Hunters*

Nintendogs

PictoChat (software that lets players send instant messages and drawings using the DS's wireless capabilities.)*

Super Mario 64x4

Super Mario Bros. DS

WarioWare Inc. DS

Nintendo has a solid lineup of third-party titles as well. Here's a complete list, drawn from Japanese and American sources:

Activision

Spider-Man 2

Atari

(One title in development)

Bandai

Dragonball Z

One Piece

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed*

Banpresto

Dragonball Z

Capcom

Gyakutensaiban (aka Reversal of Judgment)

MegaMan Battle Network

Viewtiful Joe

Electronic Arts

Need for Speed

From Software

(multiple titles in development)

Hudson

Bomberman*

(multiple titles in development)

Koei

Dynasty Warriors

Konami

Frogger 2005

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Nightmare Troubador (tentative title)

Majesco

(One title in development)

Namco

Mr. Driller

Pac-Pix*

Pac 'n Roll*

Unnamed RPG

Sega

Project Rub

Sonic DS (tentative title)*

Square Enix

Dragon Quest Monsters

Egg Monster Heroes*

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

THQ

SpongeBob SquarePants DS

Tecmo

Monster Rancher

Team Ninja game (name has not been released)

Ubisoft

Rayman

VU Games