Earth

exatreide

Is it ? Could be don't know.

I was reading Hobbes ( his theorum of state in his book Leviathan ) and in it he makes a comparrison to the creature from the Bible. I whent by to the fact that this didn't have to be the only thing that's named Leviathan.

( a sea creature is logical although it would be nice if they referd to the Leviathan from the Bible in that passage in Dune ;) , it would ad some, . .  mystic to that remark  )

Thanx  :)

hey, i was just reading dune messiah and i found another golden age of earth comment by paul muad'dib.

a few pages after the naked alia training incident :O , paul makes references to the "emporer" hitler and ghengis khan, then korba calls them myths. apperantly the butlerians left them with a little information about the earth, then after an argument in which paul says the jihad is wrong, he laughs after a certain statement i cannot remember and says "emporer" hitler once said something very like it.

The appendix in the book DUNE says something about Earth.  I don't have the book on me right now (lent it to a buddy) but if I remember correctly the book states that the ecosystem gotr messed up, so eventually everyone left.  Eventually the Earth got cleaned up and was preserved as a sort of testament to man's past.

Maybe the earth blew up for no apparent reason and therefore is not there anymore  ???

Hehehe only joking, but anyway, what are the books or resources are you taking this from. I have the Dune book by Frank Herbert and have only seen one reference to Old Terra. Bob_Matt, I havnt seen that yet but ill got hrough it later and have a look.

um thats great fed........................

found another earth refrence in chapter house. on page 15 of the ace paper back version

&.......................................................&

As they continued ther walk in the aromatic hallow, Orrades voice once more became pansive."Each planet has its own character where we draw patters from Old Earth. Sometimes, its only a faint sketch but here we have succeeded."

• 2 weeks later...

In the Dune Encyclopedia, they say Earth ("Old Terra";  It makes you wonder if there's a "New Terra") was hit by a meteorite, and much of the tangible history (i.e. books) was destroyed.  Eventually, they fixed earth up, recovering artifacts (like "Cottages at Corderville"), and turning it into a historical park (where the Zensunni stayed for a long time, before their forced migrations).

The Butlerian Jihad resulted in the destruction of even more of human history, added to thousands of years of passing time, you can understand why much of these people, famous to you and me, are though to be myths.

I'm not saying the DE is law.  Mr. Herbert wrote a foreward in it saying that those aren't his ideas.  Also, because it was published before Heretics and Chapterhouse, it's interperetation of events after GEoD is highly inaccurate.  I'm simply saying that that is the only published explanation of what happened to Earth.

That's why we need a Dune Encyciopedia as someone stated on a thread elsewhere "every other universe has their own encyciopedia about themselves", cough , cough Lord of the Rings and Star Wars and last but not least Star Trek. And please whatever they do let someone else besides B. Herbert and K.J. Anderson write the book, how about letting the original author revise it.

Would it be possible to write an encyclopeadia of Dune?

I dont think it would be possible for the following reason.

Shaddam,Paul and Leto II were the emperors of a million planets. Does anybody online or in the real world have time to catalogue all of these worlds.

Also returning to the theme of this discussion, with one million planets is it possible that the empire is run and controlled from somewhere a little more central in the galaxy rather than from the end of an obscure spiral arm? With so many planets maybe thay found somewhere much better. ;D

The thing about the milion world is in myu opinion just a matter of speech. I think an encylopedia could be made by Dune Fans, Many who play rpg on the net could send inf in on their house and such, There's one thing though it would be huge.