Earth

exatreide

Don't think so, sorry. The Butlerian jihad was ( verry well ) documented. And yes, some things about it nobody knows like the Atreides - Harkonnen relation, even, a entire planet, Earth destroyed at that time and nowbody knows it anymore a "couple" of years ( I know thousends )  later. And them the fact that the Atreides are related some how to ancient Earth.

So I don't think it was in the time of the Butlerian jihad, no much, much earlier.

And yes, I "forgot" some other refferences  ;)

Yes, that is a possibility -

"The Great Convention followed the Butlerian Jihad, yes? And it banned Nuclear weapons use on people. Perhaps this ban was in retrospect of an event in the Jihad which involved a lot of deaths by nuking... Which would probably have happened on Earth." - from earlier on in the thread.

Don't you think people should still know Earth ? Now only some people know Earth and specifics about it, if Earth still exizted when the Great Convention was formed, wouldn't poeple still know Earth, you should still be able to look it up in archieves.

Don't you think people should still know Earth ? Now only some people know Earth and specifics about it, if Earth still exizted when the Great Convention was formed, wouldn't people still know Earth, you should still be able to look it up in archieves.

Well it is proably kinda like it is today with people no one cares to revisit the past even if the information is still being kept in a records vault.  ;)

Lost, don't think so. The data could be destroyed on purpose, and that in turn would be verry exapable. The things that happend on and to Earth where to "awful" and "extreem" to tell and to let it be a part of history, so they made shure no one would know about it in later day.

( don't think the data could "simply" get lost, there was to mutch data in to many places, it should have been deleberately got lost, ia. destroyed. )

"Historians exercise great power and some of them know it.

They recreate the past, changing it to fit their own interpretations.

Thus, they change the futur as well."

Paul speaks about this (information being destroyed relating to the Butlerian Jihad to Stilgar) somewhere in Dune Messiah very briefly while talking to his council/advisors. Also keep in mind mankind at this point in his history (before the Butlerian Jihad), his dependance on A.I. and computers is willing 'enslavement' so much so that the forces behind the Butlerian Jihad seek to destroy all "thinking machines". So earth as it was could be forgotten and only remembered by those like the persons mentioned by EX and Nema or others with the knowledge of old terra.

Hummmm,.... think I get your point Yoshi13,  Nema Fakei, ExAtreides and Fedaykin-Sandwalker. As you already know it's not the way I see it, but that's what also makes it fun. It could be, we just don't know and it's nice to have some different vieuws on some aspects of Dune.   :)

Timsvs you can use modify to edited your post. ;D Ix has long been suspected of having "thinking machines" or breaking the laws governoring the use of advanced technology concerning computers. So Timsvs I would not doubt your statement about House Ix.

You'r correct, he does say Earth and not Old Terra. And a couple of lines below the ones you'r describing is a comparisson of a Naib, a rider of worms, master of the Leviathan and of the sand. As you know, the Leviathan is a carracter from the Bible. Not the OK Bible, our Bible. ( and the OK Bible is a "collection" that could contain the ideas of our bible but the Leviathan is a "Demon" in our Bible as well ) could we conclude from that that the "idea",

We also had another golden age with the roman and greek civilasations. and then we had the dark ages. And maybe the Atreides is a symbol of that golden age, being related to Agammemon and Atreus. It was just a thought. Hmmmm  ::)

Actually, the Greek period was not really a Golden age. It was much closer to the affairs of the Dune universe- except with no Emperor and not much of a landsraad. The different city-states bickered and fought either, or a common enemy (Pesians/Machines/whatever) if there was one.

And as for the Roman era, before the disestablishment of the republic, it was similar if you swap the consuls for permanant Emperors with a superior Senate, except for the dispute about how golden it was. (I say it was pretty good, indeed the best until about the C17).