sonic tanks...do we need them

gerbilpoo

Yeah, even with Kobra walls or Harkonnen hordes the main Atreides defense still relies on minos/sards/bikes/fremen nowadays, sonic tanks never get used. It's most likly because the very building of a Atreides starport is quite uncommon unless your facing a newb and he builds it early on.

Hark got a mighty Devastator Drop, nice to kill ur enemy base... Atr also got a sonic drop (rater than those lame mino drop,if enemy didn't enough space.. ur mino will just wandering around!) .. hmmm... not sure bour Ordos tho.. perhaps deviator drop?

Btw guys.. I'm back! =)

I believe it does slightly more damage than a mino (no chevrons). Obviosly a level three mino will do more damage than a sonic tank with no chevrons, and it's much easier to get minos levels than sonic tanks. But if the sonic has one, two, or especially 3 cherons it will do considerably more damage. I think a lv3 sonic can destroy a devestator in one shot.

Why not just use artillery without the sonics? 'Artillery' as it were (except for the inkvine) is pretty effective against everything and has the bonus of range. Also, these medium bases would naturally only exist in campaign missions (or possibly skirmishes), and seeing as how bad the AI is, anyone could use any units and still win, so that doesn't prove the sonic particularly effective.

For me, Sonic Tanks make awsome projecting material, they can literally stop enemies in their tracks if you have other units on the front, just sneak them a little around and get the enemy by an angle.

Real Sonic Tanks are also good for stopping attacks in single player as I've experienced, I stopped 3 Devastators, and propably 3-4 Assault Tanks with only 3 Sonic Tanks. Their firepower is almost unmatched, but their speed, cost and medium armor are something to consider.

They have one key strong point though. Good vs. armor and non armor, though much more worth the price vs. the armored units like assault tanks. However it has major problems with faster units like laser tanks, long ranged units like missile tanks and artillery like the mino and the Cobra.

It would be a powerful unit, but it has some major weaknesses that makes it a lil hard to use effectively. It is a pretty good defense at choke points though.