OMG...LOL...Read this...

Avrillian_Sard01

• 2 weeks later...

Hmph. Seems like a great idea for a game to me. Liquid Entertainment is doing one too, called "War of the Ring".

Hmmm...any articles about Liquid Entertainment's LOTR game?

I just hope that the time doesn't come w/c is similar to what happened w/ those Star Wars games, the fact being that there are too many of them... I'd rather have good ones worthy of being classics...even if only a few...

But too many games aside, I kinda like the idea of commanding flying Nazguls and Oliphaunts, as well as Easterling Soldiers and to make 10,000 of my own Uruk-hai...

Sounds like a game I'd like, to bad EA is making it.

They need to enhance the Generals engine... It's going to require a (these days anyway) top of the line system to run it. Especially with lot's of characters on the field. Especially the part that whena creature get's hit by an arrow, the arrow remains visible. Just imagine even a 100 characters on the screen. The game needs the power to be able to keep that up for all characters. And I even haven't started on the graphics yet, just pure procesing power.

One of the funny statements:

They'll scratch and stretch when they're not used for a while, and the game even took a page from Blizzard's bag o' tricks by inserting amusing "annoyance" animations that activate when a unit is clicked too often.

They need Blizzard's ideas to make a game ? Why can't they think of something original...

I don't know how units will be produced, but I found the following statement as something I'd rather not see (although with large armies, it can't be anything else then this):

team has put together a whole new melee system that actually simulates hand-to hand combat between individual soldiers. Each unit has a series of attacks and defenses, and when you zoom in close you can actually see them fighting and forming intelligent battle lines.

That would mean that the larger the army, the more chance to win. IE another rush game...

Over all I like the idea, don't get me wrong. There are just a few things I'd rather see different..

Sounds like a game I'd like, too bad EA is making it.

One of the funny statements:

They'll scratch and stretch when they're not used for a while, and the game even took a page from Blizzard's bag o' tricks by inserting amusing "annoyance" animations that activate when a unit is clicked too often.

They need Blizzard's ideas to make a game ? Why can't they think of something original...

I don't know how units will be produced, but I found the following statement as something I'd rather not see (although with large armies, it can't be anything else then this):

team has put together a whole new melee system that actually simulates hand-to hand combat between individual soldiers. Each unit has a series of attacks and defenses, and when you zoom in close you can actually see them fighting and forming intelligent battle lines.

That would mean that the larger the army, the more chance to win. IE another rush game...

Over all I like the idea, don't get me wrong. There are just a few things I'd rather see different..

Well, not quite just a rush game, but there's some managing in it as well. I think you'll have to use special units and use their tactics to their fullest to break the enemy lines.

E.g.: Flying Nazgul, Trolls, Oliphaunts, Uruks, Warg-riders, Easterlings, Haradhrim, etc. for the bad guys, and the Fellowship, Ents, Eagles (like Gwaihir the Windlord, the giant one w/c Gandalf rode escaping from Isengard in the first movie.), Rohirrim cavalry, Archers (any of them Elven? Or are they all men?) etc. for the good guys.

The units w/c form the battle lines are considered as "cannon-fodder" units. For the armies of light, that would be the Gondorian footmen. On Sauron's side, we got Orcs, Orcs...and more Orcs.

There are only 9 Nazgul, and I'm sure that's their limit...and I wonder if those "Black Numenoreans" will make an appearance. (If you haven't read "The Return of the King", I suggest that you read it to know what those "Black Numenoreans" are.)

If there's anything you wish to add/see different Nyarlothep, what would it be?

First off, I haven't read the books yet, I did watch the first two episodes of the move and really want to see part 3, so don't go into to much detail concerning part 3 :)

Maybe I have been too negative. There are things in the game that I like. One thing that I like what they are implementing, is the fact that if one is hit by an arrow for example, you will see the arrow stuck in the body. That means reality, which is what I'm looking for. The graphics look stunning, hopefully they'll be when the game is released.

I do like the different movements the units have, but I just see this turn out into another rush game, as so many. I know it may be difficult to implement, but I wish there was a way to prevent this :-

I'd wish a game like this could be first person (I read something that it would be possible to look from FP perspective, but do not know if you can control the game that way). If it would be first person, then you have reality at hand, cause you then can't be every where at the same time. There are so many things I'd like to see in a game...

First person...as in the Project Earth game?

First person as in first person. You play as 1 person and need to control the rest via buddies or via AI's. I'd prefer the option buddies though.

Imagine, you play as head of the side of your choice. A few of your buddies play as generals. Provide them with strategic info, direct them to territories that get attacked (or attack another territory yourself).. Make sure enough income is generated to keep the soldiers happy... make sure the supply chain is working properly (no food is a weak army).. You know what I mean. If they could implement that in the game they are developing, that would be awsome. I'm sure it'll then be the best game sold ever.

This way a game could take very long. Not those rushy games. Like in the story, there wasn't a big army to defend Helmsdeep at first. In game that would mean you would have to redirect your generals to assist you, or ask another player to assist you. ahh... plenty of ideas..

Oh, I see. I thought it was the "you're w/ your soldiers and you command them using that drag-box thingee"...w/c is actually the gameplay in Project Earth. Via buddies or AI's huh...hmm...sounds like Ghost Recon to me...

I think that first person perspective in the game meant...zooming in on your troops, but this time, probably down to their level...

Now I wonder what resources are needed to run your war machine in this game...

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, long time no see...

Sorry to dredge this out of the void, but putting it back on topic, "LOTR: The Battle For Middle-Earth" has been out this past week or so (at least maybe in the US, but I don't know if they are beginning to sell copies outside America.)

So now I'm wondering if anyone has played this already...

Official site: http://www.eagames.com/official/lordoftherings/thebattleformiddleearth/us/home.jsp

THE GAME WAS RELEASED LAST WEEK!!!

and it's not a good game. 2 friends bought it, I borrowed it to test it to see if it is worth buying but it ain't. It's really a very good idea and it's very close to the movie/book. The gfx is awesome and it doesn't even lag. this was amazing when I played the game. I had huge armies but everything went very fine. but there are 3 things that make the game not very good and won't be good for online gaming:

1.) you can't zoom out far enough with the camera and with larger numbers of units you can easily get confused. you just don't have a good overview

2.) there is a limit for units. so you can't create as much units as you'd like to create. you can change this in the .ini file but you can't play online with this changed setting unless someone makes a mod

3.) worst thing: the game has almost no tactics. single player is more about "build units fast and trample down your enemy"... with ongoing gameplay your units' level get higher if they survive. so if you manage to keep your armies they will be very strong soon. the heroes are overpowered as well. I was thinking of making a good army with lancers at the front, swordsmen in the second row and units with wepons for longer distance like bow and arrow behind... but no... there isn't really time to assemble your units as you like and make a good formation. so instead it's only rushing down the enemy if you got enough units. the heroes can get stronger too and after a few battles it was only running from battlefiel through battlefield for me. my lord of the nazgul killed most of the enemy units very fast, the ones he left were shot by the archers and my katapults destroyed the castles. and as the units get stronger everytime they won't be beaten as they reach a high level.

I also read in 3 forums about this problem in online gaming. a lot of people are worried about the fact that they can't do a lot of tactics in online battles but instead just built up lot of units fast and rush the enemy... combined with some special powers of heroes at the right time (e.g. the army of the undead which is so very overpowered) this is a short battle then...

try the game for yourself but you should wait for a demo version or borrow it from a friend or video store. I will definitely not buy it  :(

• 2 weeks later...

it's bad in the way I told you. I mean the bad parts of it like the camera, the overpowered heroes, the  lack of tactical gameplay... the game itself looks really great. the gfx, the engine, the storyline which is close to the movies... these are very good things about it. but unfotunately the contras are too important things...

so take your time if you test it. it looks great the first few "mission" but if you keep your armys and heroes they become so strong that all further levels are veeeeeeeeery boring. and also test multiplayer if you have the opportunity....

• 2 weeks later...

I think the game is great! The graphics are amazing and the gameplay is just as good.

Any LOTR fan would like this game...

And vek, maybe increasing the difficulty would help? my heroes aren't that strong, they can die just like that and im somewhere between part 2 and 3 ( I finished Isenguard and now I'm off to mordor ).

Besides I think it's great I can play the bad side as well  8)

isn't war of the ring more of a single-unit control startegy RTS like WC3?

TBFME is a total war-type game on the Generals engine, right?

Might as well get Rome: Total War. Then you'll learn something (albeit slightly) useful. I want to crush barbarians under the feet of Rome's legions.

And vek, maybe increasing the difficulty would help? my heroes aren't that strong, they can die just like that and im somewhere between part 2 and 3 ( I finished Isenguard and now I'm off to mordor ).

I played it on hard... it was a joke. no tactics. just pure massacre... and in the end I always won and my heroes also never died, I guarded them and they got very strong in a short time... and after that everything became boring.

Rome: Total War is much better in my opinion... it's no LOTR-storyline but the gameplay is a lot better...