Exhale: What is it like to die?

Have any of you ever wondered what it would feel like to be at that last moment, that last inhale of air, before you slip away? I know this is a morbid idea, but I just thought about it. i have always had this odd thought and presumption that maybe the second before we die, we know the absolute truth. That when we are about to cross to the other side of the river that we know of the reality of the life we live in. Just kinda an odd idea. What do you guys think? I am not talking about people who die and are put back to life. I am talking about when a person really does finally die. What do you feel about this, and what do you feel about your own mortality?

Well, what does it feel like to lose consciousness? I remember fainting in JROTC (locked those knees :-[) and didn't even know I fainted until somebody told me. So, I don't think it feels like anything.

Yeah, I agree. I once passed out for an hour during a movie, and I didn't realize it, because I had somehow dreamed out the events I'd missed. So, when I came about near the end I felt hot and sick, but I had a dream-like memory of the movie :P It was of course different after I rented it :P

I don't have anything to worry about has I know were i'm going for me its just happly ever after. I do worry about it being a painful way out kinda though.

I don't say this to scare anybody and don't mean to go slightly off-topic. but I have a book called "The last words of saints & sinners" were someone did some reserching. It has the last words of athiests and Christans before they died.

Actually, it's the same thing. When you die, all it is your brain and bodily functions shutting down. Then degrades. What more is there? Do you want there to be a slight breeze as your soul ascents?

I really think you mean 'expire' in the title, not 'exhale'. I think that when you die, you simply stop experiencing things. But one thing is for sure about the feeling; it's one you remember for the rest of your life.

"JROTC"

Pardon?

Well there is a chance that your life will flash before your eyes. I have heard about it many times from people with near death experiences, so maybe that. Then Utter Darkness

I am an athest but This is what happend to both my Great Aunt and My Grand father right before they died. My Great Aunt died from a Stroak and my grandfather from Ultimerz

Just before they died they both said the exact same words and pointed towards the corner.

"Whos that big man in the corner?"

"What big man?" We would ask?

"The dark one."

Then they died right after that.

I really think you mean 'expire' in the title, not 'exhale'. I think that when you die, you simply stop experiencing things. But one thing is for sure about the feeling; it's one you remember for the rest of your life.

That reminds me of something:

"Give a man a fire and you heat him for a day, set a man on fire and you heat him for the rest of his life."

:D

generally jackasses like nema dont understand that when you die, you exhale. it was a title, dont insult it you bastard.

Nema isn't stupid, it is quite obscure for a title though as you mention nothing about breathing in your post. It was an easy mistake to make.

Calm.

Expire means both. It can be, to some degree, a pun.

Besides, I suspect that only about 2/3 of deaths result in exhalation, since at least some of the time, death must occur when lungs are not inflated, and so there is no air pressure difference to rectify.

If you wanted to get

i was a heated moment for me and I shouldnt have said what I said. it wasent needed to say. Just dont pick at things that are meant to give expression to something. it is rude and uncalled for. also very silly.

I have always wondered how scared you would feel when you know you are gonna die real soon like in a matter of minutes and what goes through your head and how frantic you are.

Like in the movie Armegeddon when Bruse Willis stays behind and the ship leaves. What it must have felt like knowing that it was gonna end in a matter of seconds. Knowing that you would be killed in an atomic blast in space. Feeling sad and scared because you dont wanna die.

If you were drowning and running out of air. Just how it would feel to think that you are gonna die. Its gonna be over for good soon. What goes through your mind.

Its sorta scary to think about........

I can answer the drowning and running out of air question for you. I felt fear, intense fear, and the need to get back to the surface and get air. Eventually my lungs gave out, and I inhaled water before finally making it back up, and when I reached the surface I spat out the water as best I could and painfully heaved for breathe, the blackness around my vision slowly receding.

It was, undoubtedly, the worst experience I've had in water in my life. In case you were wondering, I wasn't drowning of natural causes, some older kid at the time (I was twelve) was trying to drown me because I offended him. The part I left out is having to force the guy off me while running out of air...I was lucky to hit him in the nuts. So while I'm shaking and trying to breathe after getting back to the surface, it was only then the lifeguard intervened, and suspended the other guy's pool membership.

So in that case, primal fear was what went through my mind. No tunnel, no life flashing before my eyes.

As for passing out, it wasn't too bad for me. I passed out doing homework once, and when I finally woke up, I thought it was done, and turned it in almost blank the next day.