9:30 We went to war

There is no guarantee that they will be blown up - surely Saddam knows once he does this he is a goner.

I doubt Saddam gives a damn about the oil fields anymore, since the US looks quite intent on taking him out, regardless of what happens to the oilfields. If the oilfields were so precious to Saddam's survival (presumably because the US wanted to grub them), then I think he would have realised he had some leverage, and would have threatened to use it, don't you think Acriku?

I also heard that the F/A-18 Super Hornets were launched this morning, wonder what they were sent out to do?

F/A-18 Super Hornets have more advanced radar systems and range than the standard sized F/A-18s, which are already multi-role strike fighters. IMO, they would probably be going out on reconnaisance missions, or deep strike/interdiction missions. Perhaps even SEAD missions (Suppress Enemy Air Defences), but I doubt that since the US is using stealth fighters/bombers, which are invisible to radar and can't be targeted easily by SAM installations. If all Saddam has is AA, then perhaps the Super Hornets may be out to get them, who knows? There are many possibilites. The F/A-18's could be carrying LGB's (Laser Guided Bombs) in order to carry out precision strikes against more 'targets of opportunity'. I really don't think they would have been sent for Air superiority and sweep missions however, since F-14s would probably be far more capable in this field.

Basra has fallen. Where are all those Saddam's mighty fedaykins?

If Saddam has Fedaykins, then I am a Tleilaxu Fance dancer.

If Saddam has Fedaykins, then I am a Tleilaxu Fance dancer.

Iraq Giving Own Forces Western Uniforms in Ploy (Gob posted this inthe Iraq Issues thread)

"Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has ordered the procurement of military uniforms identical down to the last detail to those of the United States and United Kingdom forces"

"Saddam intends to issue these uniforms to 'Fedayeen Saddam' troops who would wear them when conducting reprisals against the Iraqi people so that they could pass the atrocities off as the work of the United States and the United Kingdom."

"A 'fact sheet' said that Fedayeen Saddam, or 'Men of Sacrifice,' has a strength of more than 15,000 and was founded by Saddam's son, Uday, in 1994.

So 'Fedayeen Saddam' troops are Saddams holy warriors?

Run for the hills everyone, Ixian is a facedancer!! ;) j/k

The drive north seems to have ground to a halt about 100 miles in near Nasiriyah. Basra hasn't fallen, we're still trying to clear Qasr.

The Defence Secretary has told us to prepare for a long war.

The words "The plan is changing by the hour" is not what we want to hear. We want to hear "the plan is working" plans are changing translates as...

"The right flank is being held by the 7th division... er.. hang on... no, the right flank is being held by Bob..."

"1005: Giant B52 bombers take off from UK airbase"

They'd be the ones that went this morning? I was doing some Xenophon.

The first British casualties were killed by Americans. Hehe, well, ok, they were in a US-piloted helicopter that crashed mainly due to poor visibility (it is thought) in northern Kuwait.

Ixian - we don't deal with terrorists, so he wouldn't have had any leverage on us. We would have just stormed in (or some other plan) and take down the terrorists.

There is no guarantee that they will be blown up - surely Saddam knows once he does this he is a goner.

How so then, in that case, if you don't deal with terrorists? What value/relevance do the oilfields and their destruction have in this scenario then?

If they stormed the oilfields to prevent supplies from reaching Saddam and his military forces, then that would make sense. If the oilfields were secured to prevent them from being destroyed (and depriving the US of a source of fuel), then no, it doesn't. The point I'm making is, why would Saddam be a sure goner if he blew up all the oilfields? Isn't he a goner already? ???