Age of Mythology

Timenn

What do you think about this game?

I think it's a good game. It's the standard Age of Empires concept. But they are improving it. You are less busy with gathering resources, and you don't have too much unit-build-buildings. And the graphics are good too. And you don't have so much of those very expensive needless researches anymore...

The campaign is good, it doesn't fit always with other mythologies (like Ajax still lives after the Trojan War (he killed himself, remember?)(Kirke is pronounced wrong)) But that is the freedom of fiction. Most stories about certain units are correct, and you can see that they did some research for it. Can't say it about Norse and Egyptian mythology though, I don't know much about it.

Further more you have a great map/scenario editor, but the only bad point is that it lacks a manual!

Yep, I have the game to and I am enjoying it. Although I think some godly powers are over-rated, like the meteor storm (only played the Romans till now).

The graphics are okay and the game play is easy.

One weird thing though, when I have a shortage of houses, it pops up a message to build more houses, or build a new town. But when I try to build more houses, I can't (better yet, the villager can't as the house option can't be selected). So you'd say "well, build a new town then". I tried that too, but then I still can't select the house option. Am I missing something or is there a limit to the total amount of houses one can build ?

I really liked this game - one of the best games for 2002 and all the myths esp Vikings were spot on [hide]Except for that Valkerie womand Killing Nidhogg Since he only appeared after Ragnarok as you all know[/hide] But apart from that it was all good you should alll go out and buy it.

BTW has anyone tried it online? Whats it like?

I'm thinking about purchasing it. What is key about it, and what is the god system like?

Just like with Age of Empires, you can advance. When you advance now, you can choose a God to go with your advancing. Depending on which God you choose, you get extra God powers, which you can use only once during the level you're in.

Example: If you focus on calvary, choose a god that gives extra's for calvary, like extra speed, armor, ect, ect.

I like the game because it involves a lot. Defending, attacking and above all, gathering resources (wood, food, gold, ect).

Loki can use spy. Use it on an enemy unit, and you can see what that unit sees. And Loki is the only one who can choose Hel as god/godess, who gives Giants and Nidhogg (Dragon, godpower)

If you liked Age of Empires, I advice to buy this. Read my first post why.

But they should have made a manual for the scenario editor!!

No sorry. I never played online. Maybe I'm going to do that when I can win of the computer when playing normal without water between us.

I'm too late with building armies, I mostly setup my economy first. You know, 12 woodchopppers, 2 granaries with farms around them, etc.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah I have really gotten into this game as of late. You seem to have more time to enjoy the game instead of worrying about being rushed in like 1 minute by some chem troopers or whathave you. The mythological units are pretty cool.

I got this game about 5 days ago and have progressed quite nicely. After the 3rd day I went online and realized I was better than most of the people already online. I just had a game with a friend and beat a Titan setting for computer with just two.

My favorite combo is...

Using the Norse god Thor for faster reasource development and cool mini gods I do the following build order for military.

With a minimum of 4 barracks I produce about 30 Ulfsark's upgraded to the max. (Which takes a long time considering you need to go through all ages and using certain minor gods to tweak those troops in particular.

Ulfsark's followed by Frost Giants. 4 Frost Giants are awesome for Freezing any opponent except Hero's with one icy breath. This awesome ability recharges quite fast (within about a 30secs or so) providing a lethal advantage if followed by archers from partner.

With first Thor as a God I get the Gold Mine ability which I save till the last age providing me with an extra 6000 Gold, an upgrade to make my dwarves gather wood,food, and gold faster and also making dwarves cheaper to make! (This is a great starting class I believe, it helps the starting out player and a skilled player in making a quick and fast start which will later provide a fast advance through the ages.

TIP. Being the Norse race almost every military unit can make buildings, so you can pop up a huge base out of nowhere! Also any villager (worker, providing you with reasourses such as farming, hunting, minning, or lumberjacks) can be turned into an Ulfsark!

One incredible choice in using thor as a god is that by the time you get to your Classical Age (Second after Archaic Age) you get a choice to between two gods which both offer the player with the ability to heal units!!! Either god will grant you some sort of healing power either with a unit or a fountain that you can place anywhere, both provide a very efficient Military which will benefit your ally as well!

Of course both god's in the Classical Age provide the player with alot of abilities I wont get into that.

All the God's are cool buth there is so many it would take too long to describe the possible strategies.

Archaic Age : Thor as main God.

Classical Age : Forseti for the healing fountain, Trolls, etc..

Heroic Age : Skadi for Frost Giants, God Power Freeze, etc..

Mythic Age : Tyr for Fimbulwinter, Berserkergang, etc..

30 Ulfsark +

4 Frost Giants +

4 Batterring Rams +

And some sort of Archery (AxeMen, Toxtoes, Slingers, Archers, etc..)

=

A winning game if used properly with godpowers/ strategicwalls/ towers/ forts or strongholds and a steady income.

I use the name Exi1e if anyone ever wants to hook up.

Also a good strategy for beginners if playing the computer or real playeris to make at least 25 or so workers before you advance to Classical Age. If you dont concentrate on workers at start your income will be quite slow which will hinder progression too much!

Yeah Timenn your right about the game lacing a manual because some of the things you can do in the game you have to find out on your own. After a few days you realize stuff though. You gotta admit though there is lots of people always on and getting a game set up and running takes no time at all. The map editor is cool also. I can say so many cool things about this game that dune unfotunately lacks.

I should make a post why Age of Mythology is better than Emperor battle for Dune lol!

It may not be better than EBFD but it sure as hell if alot more fun for me to play AOM now than play a game (EBFD) that I have for 2 years.

So in my view AOM is better than EBFD for the time being.

"I live for today and not for yesterday," a wise man once said.

Actually I just made that up but it displays my point nicely. ;D

• 4 years later...

I've recently gotten Age Of Mythology Gold Edition, and have completed the vanilla and Titan campaigns on Moderate difficulty. This game is just amazing.

I'm pretty much fairly proficient with all the civilisations, though I'm most comfortable with the Greek and least so with the Norse. One thing I really like about Thor is that the goldmine is very useful for helping you get out of a tight control situation in which your opponent has controlled all the remaining gold mines on the level. With the additional gold (by the time you need help, it should have been the Mythic Age part of the game, providing you with the 6000 gold), you can churn out a good force to quickly secure a few gold mines and counterattack.

Needless to say, when your opponent is Egyptian, it can be quite tricky...

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree with you on that with the normal units, but I think the Myth units gave at least a noticable amount of extra flavour to it. Their special abilities were something to consider in your army setup. Age of Mythology had the rock-paper-scissor concept far less than, for example, Rise of Nations or the other Age of Empires games.

• 2 weeks later...

It made some sense in strategy planning to me. It's less obvious than in say, Warcraft III, but then again, in Warcraft III, some units could virtually deal with anything with at most one other type of support.

And heroes in WC3 were an entirely different matter.