Did you know ?

Example:

When upgrading to a Intel P4 2.2Ghz or above, you can't use Windows 98. You have to have at least Windows ME to be able to install as OS. Windows 98 can't keep up with the data process times of the P4 2.2Ghz and above.

Just out of curiosity, what can 95 support?

• 2 weeks later...

Example:

When upgrading to a Intel P4 2.2Ghz or above, you can't use Windows 98. You have to have at least Windows ME to be able to install as OS. Windows 98 can't keep up with the data process times of the P4 2.2Ghz and above.

Just out of curiosity, what can 95 support?

Sorry Duke, I missed your question.

To be honest, I'm not sure actually. I ran into the problem above when I had built a new computer and my customer insisted on using Win98.

Have you tried loading a new program or update written by Microsoft on your Win ME machine and it won't load no matter what you do. Check in your C:/Windows/INF (folder) directory (The INF directory is hidden) After you got thar folder open, sort by file size. See all those 0 byte files ... well get rid of them. After they are gone, you can finally get your new Microsoft programs or updates to finally load.

The URL where I located this valuabable frustrating problem is:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281967

• 2 months later...

Did you know Microsoft has a number of powertoys to use for WinXP and some lower versions. One of them, Tweak UI is quit usefull if you like to adjust all those things in Windows you couldn't adjust before. Like the speed the menu's has when they extract themselfs, clearing FTP, IE and Telnet history automatical, which icons are allowed on the desktop, remove the arrow of the shortcut links and other little things like that. The version for Win2k is at another part of the site. [ Also suitable for ME, '98 or '95 ]

Tweak UI can be a curse to people as well. I was trying to setup a system on a network for someone and I could not get network neighborhood to show up. I spent an hour or so trying to figure out what was wrong and it turned out to be something you could hide in Tweak UI and some other person who setup the computer initially thought it would be a good idea to turn the network folder off. Very frustrating.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just needed to post this somewhere.. so thought this might be a good spot.

Taken from the Westwood site.

If the serial number has been lost or the CDrom Jewel Case has been lost or thrown away , please fax or email the warranty department the following information at 650-628-5900 or to warranty@ea.com:

1> Name

2> Phone number

3> Address

4> Email address

5> A photo copy or JPG image of the back of the CD-ROM jewel case showing the missing serial number

6> A photo copy or JPG image of the receipt

7> A photo copy or JPG image of the CD-ROM

8> A note including the customer ID number and the Tech Support Technicians name.

Look at number 5 .. so you have lost you'r serial code, and what does Westwood ask you to do .. send then a fotocopy of, and here it comes. . .the missing serial number. ...

What am I missing here ? ??? ;D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Doc, I downloaded the Tweak XP Manager utility that you mentioned, After having to restart my pc because of lockups ? It did indeed speed up my internet connection, considerably.

I still can't find out what's freezing up my pc though.

It only happens occasionaly, really weird.Also sometimes my desktop isn't the full width of my monitor screen, so I reset the refresh rate and then back again to 100Mhz, it's then ok for awhile,any ideas what could be causing this to happen.

Sorry Doc, I didn't read back to original post.

My monitor is only 6 months old, with the latest drivers installed, so It shouldn't have any problems with 100 Mhz refresh rate.

It's a 19" Medion Monitor.

It only does this when exiting Emperor,of my own free will or when it crashes on the connecting page of wol.

Sorry Doc, I didn't read back to original post.

My monitor is only 6 months old, with the latest drivers installed, so It shouldn't have any problems with 100 Mhz refresh rate.

It's a 19" Medion Monitor.

It only does this when exiting Emperor,of my own free will or when it crashes on the connecting page of wol.

Try setting your refresh rate to something lower (75Mhz), or lower your desktop resolution (1024x768)