Loss of Honour

ordos45

Then how did they explain natural phenomenons (sp?) without religion?

When an oogabooga asked questions like:

Who am I?

Where did I come from?

What is my purpose?

...what kind of answers did he get? Certainly not atheist ones, I can assure you of that.

Er... since when did something being 'natural' mean it was true. There is a perfectly good reason for ubiquitous religion - the (metaphorical) fear of the dark. You're all intelligent enough to realise how an idea that promises of an afterlife will gain popularity in any primitive civilisation pretty fast. Especially if it can be changed so that "if you do what the chief says, you will get a good afterlife".

And how do religious explain that other religions are 'natural'?

IMO

I think it just developed over time, what I mean is this primitive man worshipped objects (say the moon and and the sun) he had an explanation for each. After time has passed primitive man gets smarter and says we can no longer worship such things the rest of the population (tribe or whatever) are starting to question such practices and anyway they do not satisfy the people. Primitive man in turn invents religion(s) that represent man from the already known myths from among each peoples of there own. In doing so they have to also make it where it will be unlike man, meaning something man can neither see or touch but something he can 'feel'. Thus making it higher than man because they (know and undetstand) that man is full of chaos. You see primitive man already knew that beliefs are powerful because he invented them but he had not perfected them or should I say refined for a better choice of words. Now this does not mean I do not believe in a higher being just maybe my beliefs are different in and of this higher being.

Losing side or not, that does not persuade me in any way. *GASP* You, empr, who does so state that science can be forged and misread and misinterpreted uses archaeology as part of his argument! Yeesh what is this world coming to. People can forge artifacts and findings, by the way, and I'm sure there have been in the past. But onto the argument...

It is common for humans who, with the developed minds we should be so proud of, to be curious of his own existence. The concept of existing comes with having a complex brain. So, of course man had questions for his own existence. So he invents answers he believes to be correct. These turn into a religion. And so, a religion was invented.

Everything that comes of human intelligence is invented or brought up. Some of you understand this and some of you dont. Geesh guys.lol The problem is I cannot logically argue for the Lord. many christians like me believe that the Lord came to us. It is not through our intelligence. Even if I pointed out a negative for the sake of argument it would prove nothing. You guys dont get it. Everything we comprehend is of our being. Its all relative. You are playing these games that are so superficial its sick. Its pure arrogance. One opinion isnt better than another. I just got upset earlier because some people really have a problem and have an axe to grind with somebody. No attitudes. Just realize we cant prove our beliefs correct and show people how you think and not how you feel.

yes, reincarnation (i believe) is an invention. Reincarnation is a specific supernatural belief. The thing you guys need to understand is that specific supernatural beliefs are easily invented by man. What is not invented by man is the awareness of a supernatural existence. All humans are aware of a supernatural existence. It is when humans start to explain it that leads to the inventions.

Bowing to the earth (trees, rocks, river) and burying the dead do not suggest awareness of a "higher" being. They could be worshipping the mighty and powerful Gaea, or they could be just paying their respects to what's around them.

I think you should pay respect to the nature and envivornment. Why? Well, ask yourself this question: Which one is more beautiful, a picture of a green forrest, animals, seas and natural clouds, or an industrial area, metal dark factories everywhere, dirty oceans of oil and other waste?

You can have both Doc, but yes the first one of course.

Hey Caid, calling names "anthropocentrists" doesn't help the situation. I for one do not search for the truth centered wholly around humanity, I search for the truth for the existence of Earth, the universe, the solar system! I do search for the truth partially conscerning myself because why the hell not? It's not a bad thing.

"They were"? Man, look around! The world is composed out of hypocrites! And not nearly all of them are atheists.

Not every one is hypocrite, if you have much in your enviroment, altough I have to say, sadly, that you have half true with this. Much christians are hypocrites. But not every one. Also, no one has right to say about other he is hypocrite.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged." - Mt 7,1