Spelling?

damiok

Think reading over your comments before you send it whould help a lot.

But for non-english speaking members ( as myself ) a spell-check in the board itself would be great ! ( I know this isn't realistic ) We don't write in foreign languages a lot and I can understand that not every one ( including myself ) wants to write his comment while contstantly checking his dictionary.

Sorry if I spell realy terrible, try to do my best tho, . . :'(

That would be great  :D

And I know what you mean about those exams  :(

I was just thinking, could it be that a lot of people write the names and other things from the books wrong because they only have translated versions of Dune ? I myself have a Dutch translation and an origional English version of all the books, ( of some I even have the first print  ;D  ;D ;D ) but mayby  not every one has an English version in his posession ?

Could it have someting to do with age ? ( not offending youngsters and oldies on this site :) ) People of different age talk and write in different way's. And some younger members may not have learned all the grammar rules jet. I know I'm still learning how to speak and write English correctly, and I'm 21 for crying out loud !

you cry out "load?" (no offense.) :) i don't believe that age really matters on a sci-fi forum. it's how advanced you are thinking. do mentally chalenged 19 year olds post with the same capacity as normal19 yearolds? (yes, they do post sometimes) or advanced 13 year olds as to normal 21 year olds? our societies try to use age as a barrier too much. really, if i had the capabilitys, i wouldn't let us mention age.

i don't believe that age really matters on a sci-fi forum. it's how advanced you are thinking.

That is true age does not matter in a sci-fic forum but how advanced your thinking is plays a huge part in the way you are perceived by others. Here we are discussing the spelling of some of the posts on the threads. Some may perceive this as being not so intelligent but really what we are dealing with in some cases is a language barrier. We have non-English speakers typing in English translating their way of speech into a language that is not their native tongue. Sometimes it's all Greek to me. ;D

our societies try to use age as a barrier too much.

I do not think that it is just the number (age) it is the way you think at a certain age from whatever educational background you have been provided with from school or family.

So far I have found it harder to translate the posts from some of the English speaking users then those who have learnt English as a second language. This is probably due to them not learning all of the slang/shortcuts used by people online. Even though its shorter to write u or y it certainly doesn't make it any easier to read.

I don't mean "the contents", "what you'r talking about", "your subject".

I mean they way people spell and use grammar rules. As you get older you learn more and more about a language and how to talk and write it correctly. That's why young people ( 5 - 12 for example ) can't write diffecult words without spelling mistakes, they have to learn how you write certain words and how to use grammar rules.

As a foreign student I've learn'd rules for "past tens" after 3 years of English. ( and still can't use them propperly :) ) So if you don't know some rules, you can't be expected to use them correctly.

So it should be the AMOUNT of years experiens with English spelling, more years experiens COULD result in better spelling.

( And before you say anything, some people are more "gifted" than others and can write correctly almost at ones while others may take years and years of learning and still can't write. )

About age I compleately agree with you, for sci-fi and fantasy age doesn't matter.

thank you for listening to my post. i'm only 13, but my mother made a sucessful attempt to boost my IQ to insane rates. in the us, we have to take  a test called the i-step. this basically is to see who are the elite aqnd who are the true american school poster boys. anyway, it tells you how high you rank out of the whole us, and i got 99.98th percentile, aka supergenius status.

anyway, my point is that some kids try to be normal by being age appropriate idiots, while others,(like me) try to be better than that. and that is why you are talking to me. that and the fact that ex met me on a couch in the 5th grade. i've moved to 7 different schools in my short lifetime, so i never made normal friends. instead i got ones on the inrternet.

Ok.

I just wanted to point out that some people make these mistakes unwillingly. And ofcourse there are those who post here that don't bother to write correctly and are just sloppy.

And the persones who do spell sloppy and can do something about that, well, .... Gobalopper did you read "the Basterd Opperator from Hell" ? you know what to do   ;)

Thanks Nema, I'm feel so much more at ease knowing all is in balance on the forum.   :) :) :) :)

Anyhow about the second language thing.  We have a new girl that moved to my school from Bangladesh.  She speaks two languages.  English and Banga.  Her English is more flawless than anyone else's in the school.

I know a Ukranian who knows English better than about half of all those whose first language is English or a version thereof. It's because all the rules and exceptions must be learnt and not intuitively. I know a spaniard whose spanish I have corrected on more than one occasion.