Carryalls doing there job?

Barron

I personally dislike they way carryalls are set up. Their job is to pick up the harvester when in any danger. Well that's great but they end up setting them right back down again. So when people put units in my spice fields I expect my harvester to return with what ever spice it has and go to another. But No, Carryalls pick it up and set it right nice to the bad guys.

Say your enemy put infantry in the field, wouldn't you think to just run them over? I would and when I try, the Damn Carryall picks him up just to go 5 feet!

This is an out rage!

Barron Harkonnen

he is totally right, that's a HUGE bug.

the WORST is when you need to RUN OVER Sards and Feds with your Harvies and the damn Carryalls picks them up when you are trying to do that! FFS! I *HATTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE* that!!!! WW should really fix that bug. And if you recall them, they all *stop dead* so it takes a huge amount of micro to get them running again

Navaros, on the first hand, you want them to picked up more, and then the Carryalls are not allowed. How ever must the computer know that? Unless there was a specefic key combination... And stop about 'WW should fix that'... They won't. And you know that

They don't work anymore at Emperor. Everything they could fix quickly was fixed in the latest patch. Anything that costs much time will not be fixed. WW works now on other projects

http://www.dune2k.com/news/archive/2001/oct.shtml#1004581285

http://www.dune2k.com/forum/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=1185;start=0

• 1 month later...

Agreed, but I thought there was some key you could press to recall all harvesters ???

Press 'B'. You can change this under the keyboard command options.

Also, I was wondering if there was any way to extend the range of the distance you could tell a harvester to move, before the carryall picks it up?

I remember the first time I played Dune (Dune 2000) and bought a carryall.. I was rather upset that they didn't actually carryALL, just the harvesters ;D

it'd be nice if there were a "threat range" or something for the harvesters where if a hostile unit comes within said range the carryall would swoop in and pluck it up, and ideally take it to another spice field or something.

Dune 2 had the ideal system and they should have KEPT IT.

Every house made repair pads. Your ADV Carryalls picked up your harvies AND any vehicle JUST BEFORE IT WAS ABOUT TO DIE. The ADV Carryalls then automatically put the vehicles that was just about to die on the repair pad, and then automatically put it back in the battle once it was repaired (if i remember correctly)

I *DO* remember that the Carryall system in Dune 2 and repairing system in Dune 2 were both vastly superior to the ones in later Dune games. These systems were not broke, so they should *not* have been fixed. They *are* broke now since the developers had to mess with them for no good reason and cause us eternal frustration in the process.

Not if you had carryalls.

But about Emperor:

I think this is a result of a bad programming style of westwood, since they MEANT to let the carryalls pick up harvesters in danger. They do SOMEtimes, really. The problem is that they are often late, or they put the harvester in a more dangerous spot.

They pick them up alright, and proceed to plop them right back down about 5 feet away LOL ;D

The repair system in Emperor is good, except for the Harkonen. Atredies have their mobile repair vehicle, Ordos self-regenerates, Harkonen should have a repair bay. It would be a definite plus and would fit well with the "Industrialized" image of the Harkonen. The Atredies Mobile Repair is perfect since their units are slower, so being able to bring the repair to them works perfect.

Eh, I think as far as general unit balance Emperor is about as close as perfect as you can get with having 3 totally unique sets of units. If you were to give them mobile repair vehicles or self-healing THAT would probably be a bit unfair. If you think about it, given Emperor's pathfinding problems, a repair pad would likely end up being more trouble than its worth ;D

repairs for harkonen are not balanced because:

harkonen already have great armour and strength, their units with chevrons are even more powerfull and if they can be repaired this wouldn't be balanced.

besides, they do selfrepair when at level 2 ;)

No its not the case, there great armour is only slightly tough than their counter-parts, its so little that you probably won't even notice when fight in groups, its a huge misadvantage for the harks to not be able to repair unit they reach 2 cheervons, which is a task thats almost impossible. Even if there's a repair bay, they still a misadvantage, because they units must get there to get repaired, and it also costs money and extra power to operate the building.