Dune 2: Redux progress

neonext

This post is to track the progress of my Dune 2 clone. It will be my master list of what has been done, what needs to be done, and what is being worked on at the time. This list will be constantly updated. It is seperated by categories but the lists themselves are in no particular order. If you see anything not mentioned, or you have a question about something that is listed here, please post and help out! :)------------------------------------------------DONE:- Flat sand and rock terrains.- Mutliple resolution support.- Options menu (gameplay, video, and audio setup)- Sidebar build buttons, based on selected structure. The higher your resolution, the more build buttons will be displayed on the screen for the user to use.- Radar display.- Single-click unit command interface with multiple animated cursors.- Alt-Tab support.- Structure drawing, including animated player-colored flags.- Small and big unit drawing, colored based on player color. Also rotating tank turrets.- A* pathfinding system.- Loading and saving of game options to ini file.- Ability to hide the sidebar and issue orders in the uncovered space.- Ability to select multiple units with a click-and-drag selection box. *- Ability to give search-and-attack commands against enemy units.*- Ability to give search-and-attack commands against enemy structures.*- Infantry movement animation.- Limitations on where you can build structures.*- Game speeds.- Machine guns, tank guns, regular guns.- Smoke plumes for damaged units and structures.- House-dependant interface (sidebar).- Harvesting animation.- Projectile movement and collision detection. Only hits enemy units and structures.- AI base defence for when structures are being attacked.- Deploying of MCV's for user and AI players.- AI base structure building.- AI unit building.- Unit retaliation, where units will return fire if attacked, unless they are already doing something else.- Animated explosions for unit/structure hits and for unit/structure destruction.- AI moving of units towards base perimeter for defense.- Power system. Windtraps at less than half of their total HP's will output less power. Radar will not work without enough power to the base. So far, that is the only power limiation.- Map editor terrain placement, start location placement, and saving of different sized maps.- Basic guard mode, where units will scan for enemy units in range and then attack them.- AI attack mode, where the AI players will luanch an attack on a random opponent when they have enough units- Skirmish menu options: set # of players, sides, teams, shroud toggle,- Alliances (teams).- Structure and Unit House dependencies- Map editor: user control of size of map.- Shroud.- On screen Sound FX, including House-dependent sounds, all prioritized. (only one sound can be played at a time until i rewrite the sound system)- Ability to instantly destroy and selected unit or structure with the delete key- Unit build queues.- Credit$ counting- Harvesting operation, for user and AI players.- Ability to hold/cancel construction.TO DO (short term):- Skirmish menu options: , pick map, player pos/color- Skirmish menu options: toggle each unit list **- Mountains and sand dunes terrain. **- Craters **- Debris. - Structure build animations.- Tank tracks. **- Game difficulty. **- Sonic guns, rocket tank guns, trooper rockets. **- Sand worms. **- Air units. **- Palace specials. **- Spaceport usage. **- Repair center usage. **- Gun turrets and rocket turrets. **- Walls. **- Ability to turn structures off.- Ability to sell structures. **- Ability to list kill stats. - Terrain speeds. **- End of game stats screen- Infantry death overlays **- Concrete. **- Ability to save and load a game. **- Structure animations (wind trap and radar outpost)**TO DO (long term):- Linear campaign mode.- Dynamic campaign mode.- Multiplayer mode.- Intro.- Credits.- Cut-scenes.- MusicNEXT/CURRENTLY WORKING ON: alpha testing--------------------------------------------Items with a * mean there is currently bugs or small missing features associated with it.Items with a ** mean that feature will most likely miss beta.

For the past day or two, I have been working a lot with the AI code, and a performance issue has risen. For one, big maps will not be playable until I optimize the code. Second, there is some lag, especially on low-end computers (of course...). This is with 4 players total and 30 units each. I have not tested games with less players and less units yet, but if it increases performance I will let the user adjust those. My main focus right now is in the pathfinding, which is the main source of the lag. I don't want to optimize the code for the entire game now, because I'll never make beta that way, but if I can optimize just the pathfinding, the game will be much much much better ;D

Here's the specs of the test systems i have:

Test System

AMD K6 (unknown speed, probably 200-400 mhz)

96 MB unknown RAM

Not sure what video card, but it sucks.

Development System

AMD Athlon 1800+ (outperforms Pentiuam 4 2000mhz)

512 MB DDR RAM

64 MB Geforce 3

What are the specs of the computers you will be using to run Redux? It will give me an idea of what I need to get done.

;D ;D i just LOST against the AI :). i have come close to losing before, with a building or two left and barely winnig, but this time i got worked. and the thing is, i was putting effort into winning the whole game (it was a short game)

it was a 2 on 2, me playing as atreides with the ordos on my side against the empire and the harkonnen. i was trying to catch up in production and get an army going, when the harks and the empire launched a dual assault on my ally, completely destroying his base. i took advantage of this with a small manuever down to the harkonnen base with the little army i had. with some help of a few ordos trikes that had made it over. i managed to take out their construction yard. after the insuing battle, i managed to criple the harkonnen down to one wind trap. i started preparing another army and then the harkonnen and the empire launched another dual assault, this time on my not-so-well-guarded base. i pumped out units as fast as i could, but was no match for them. it was awesome

My future Computer:

1600Mhz 512/1024mb DDR-Ram 128 mb Video

This is not in my house but i gonne buy it to christmas or something...

I have

801MHZ

128MB SDRAM

32MB Gforce256

332MHZ

256MB SDRAM

Unknown graphic...

can run up to 1024x768 at 32bit...

166MHZ

64MB SDRAM (Dual type Motherboard that way i can use EDO ram too)

Unknown graphic...

Ati Mach64 chipset from 1996

Ok, no need to give specs of all our pcs, just a max and a min...

if anyone has a better PC or a worse one, post.

Eg I have a mediocre system (better tham one of vidiware's, but not as good as most others).

Regarding credits ticking over, don't do rolling wheels unless you know of an easy way to do them - C&C, TS and Emp work fine without them

i can come up with something if you don't have enough time. not really necessary till ver 1.0 though, so we still have a lot of time (3 weeks). but if the beta is good enough (...lol), i can be hosted right?