Dune 2: Redux progress

neonext

TonyD

yes, it is kind of odd we both ended up with the same thing at the same time. i'm sure each will have its pluses and minuses

i am using visual c++ with directx7.

here's the screenshot page Nema mentioned http://www.angelfire.com/empire/dune2redux/index.html

LPC

only original units so far. only considering aircraft for each side right now.

I hope both of you release the source code.

Because Dune 2 contains no big unpassable objects, you probably don't need A*. You could use a much simpler algorithm and for example only use A* when the simple algorithm does not find a proper solution.

Could I have your email addresses or ICQ/MSN IDs?

my email address is in my profile i think...

hey Olaf, do u think you could add support for more things from the dune2 pak files in your mixer? I would like to be able to extract the big images and the terrain tiles and such. Ive constructed a utility from your mixer source which construct all my units and bullets from dune.pak, but I'm gonna have to figure out where the terrain is hidden in there u c.

Oh, mine uses a* too, its somewhat easyier to leave it this way, ive worked too long and hard on the algorythim to cut it out now! :)

Besides, you can significantly speed things up using a few techniques I have in mind.

Wont be long now, I just gotta extract the tiles and all the images

damn...you could make money off that..use CD program and make Jewel CD Case covers, and stickers for ur CD's and start burnin it...

i would never be able to make money off this game without changing all the images, and if i did that it wouldn't be dune 2, and also it wouldn't belong here.

i never want to make any money from this. it is for educational purposes only, and all i want in the end is a job in the game industry ;D

I hope both of you release the source code.

Because Dune 2 contains no big unpassable objects, you probably don't need A*. You could use a much simpler algorithm and for example only use A* when the simple algorithm does not find a proper solution.

Could I have your email addresses or ICQ/MSN IDs?

In time the source code could be released, until then the game will be very modable. I don't understand how you can say Dune 2 contains no unpassable objects. You cannot pass through other units, mountains (if you are not infantry), and also structures. Worse yet, all this data is constantly changing all the time, requiring a refined step-taking algorithm.

i can be reached on MSN, add neonext@msn.com

Maybee a cool option as skirmish. Just a fast deathmatch.

Small map fastest wins.

There will be an option to set the starting credits. On the smallest map the bases are right by each other and the games are pretty quick with unlimited money

i had a lot of replies to catch up on ;D my cable internet connection was down, i am back nowthe game is reaching alpha soon. after some initial testing i will release the beta. also, the map editor is ready for testing and will also be released asap.TonyD, all I ask is that you don't copy the look of my interface, but I don't see why you would want to anyways. Your game should have a look and feel of its own, and from what i've seen so far, it sticks to the look and feel of Dune 2 more than mine.

dont worry bout that, Ill be using the original graphics to patch up my own interface, I doubt it would end up looking like yours,BTW I've been working on this a long time, it wont be a copy of your dont worry

hey Olaf, do u think you could add support for more things from the dune2 pak files in your mixer? I would like to be able to extract the big images and the terrain tiles and such.

Support for what? Big images are CPS or WSA, which is supported. I don't know the format of the EMC and ICN files. I think those contain the structures and terrain.

Oh, mine uses a* too, its somewhat easyier to leave it this way, ive worked too long and hard on the algorythim to cut it out now! :)

Besides, you can significantly speed things up using a few techniques I have in mind.

I hope so, but does it scale well? You might want to support 250 units per side on a large map (like TA) ;->

hope it won't big very big will it?

this is a really rough guess right now, but i would say the full download would be _about_ 10 mb. later versions (updates) will be small, usually less than 1 mb.

That big? I thought you only distributed the EXE, not the media files. What's so big?

i would never be able to make money off this game without changing all the images, and if i did that it wouldn't be dune 2, and also it wouldn't belong here.

I think you're (legally) allowed to make money off the engine and simply require the original game to be installed.

In time the source code could be released, until then the game will be very modable. I don't understand how you can say Dune 2 contains no unpassable objects. You cannot pass through other units, mountains (if you are not infantry), and also structures. Worse yet, all this data is constantly changing all the time, requiring a refined step-taking algorithm.

Why not release it right now?

I said it contains no big unpassable objects. All objects are small and the route will be a nearly straight line > 90% of the time.