Dune 2000 1.06p - Game patching (bug fixes, new features)

FunkyFr3sh

It's really nice!

And I'm also wondering if I could set for the linear stretching( blur drawing in lower resolution ), because I found the video has lots of noise when I dont check the maintain ratio option.

Another point is the video backbuffer is always disabled, is it not necessary for the lastest version ?

13 minutes ago, WindyQueen said:

It's really nice!

And I'm also wondering if I could set for the linear stretching( blur drawing in lower resolution ), because I found the video has lots of noise when I dont check the maintain ratio option.

Another point is the video backbuffer is always disabled, is it not necessary for the lastest version ?

You can change your scaling method via ddraw.ini shaders. I did not include linear cause it's too blurry, but I added cubic instead.

renderer=opengl
shader=Shaders\cubic.glsl

If you use 2x or 3x scaling then maybe use the xBR or xBRZ shader, these are looking amazing (But you need a good graphics card for them, old intel graphcis card can't do it).

All the new resolutions that are showing on the bottom of the list are 2x 3x 4x (Integer scaling) resolutions, you can use these for xBR and xBRZ.

You can also download more shaders, check the readme file in the Shaders folder.

Videobackbuffer is now always disabled, that's right. You don't need it anymore cause the new renderer will not use it at all.

Edited by FunkyFr3sh

6 minutes ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

You can change your scaling method via ddraw.ini shaders. I did not include linear cause it's too blurry, but I added cubic instead.

renderer=opengl
shader=Shaders\cubic.glsl

If you use 2x or 3x scaling then maybe use the xBR or xBRZ shader, these are looking amazing (But you need a good graphics card for them, old intel graphcis card can't do it).

You can also download more shaders, check the readme file in the Shaders folder.

Videobackbuffer is now always disabled, that's right. You don't need it anymore cause the new renderer will not use it at all.

Thanks a lot, I will try.

Hii ! I don't seee anything different from this ' patch' no offense, except that game now crashes everytime and can't play a single game till the end.   Always game out of sync, or keeps appearing some errors i dont even understand what they're for !

If you can take a look about it, just letting you know what the situation is ) HF

23 hours ago, buffaLo said:

Hii ! I don't seee anything different from this ' patch' no offense, except that game now crashes everytime and can't play a single game till the end.   Always game out of sync, or keeps appearing some errors i dont even understand what they're for !

If you can take a look about it, just letting you know what the situation is ) HF

You are not supposed to see any differences if your game was already working, this was a compatibility update for all those who tried to play dune 2000 but couldn't since their game didn't work.

I heard about a out of sync error, but in this case it was just 1 game out of many. Most games worked fine, so it was unclear if it was just random or if it's related to the new update.

If you found a way to make every single game go out of sync then please tell us how to exactly reproduce this so it can be tested.

Some more compatibility updates...

I made a dummy dplayx.dll that can be used to start the game without the need to install DirectPlay.

DirectPlay is deprecated not included with windows anymore, hence why there have been problems starting the game. Normally windows 10 offers you to automatically install it, but this doesn't work all the time.

To workaround the problem, download dplayx.dll and place it into your game folder:

https://github.com/CnCNet/dummy-dplayx/releases

The cool thing is, your game will be starting a lot faster now! So even if your game is already working you can still download the file and gain an advantage from it :)

This is what you probably have seen if you tried to play the game without having DirectPlay installed:

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000022). Click OK to close the application.

Edited by FunkyFr3sh
  • Upvote 1

Are you still using my weird small cut&paste code to make the UIBB.R16 into a higher resolution? 🙂

If so, I was thinking it is time to upgrade/change/replace this to get a decent higher resolution UIBB.R16 which has a better (no repeating) look.

I made an image in Gimp for a first idea, however I don't know what the best way is to incorporate this into the .exe. I like to keep the .exe (changes) small.

I was thinking about saving only the new/changed parts into a large variable inside the .exe, but that might make it unnecessary big. Any idea's?

Anyway, below is the first draft for better high resolution side bar (border). What do you think?

new_HD_sidebar_UIBB_v1.thumb.png.db4c9fdc8ed6633737d2fc5cfca7aca2.png

Edited by D2k Sardaukar

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah looks good. Code is still the same old: https://pastebin.com/hx5uQEpT

What you suggested is possible, if we include a whole file for 1280x720 for example then it's already 1.8mb so that's quite big... Including only the changed parts is as simple as including the whole file, but how big would that be?

If I compress the 1.8mb file with lzma then it turns into 25kb only, so I guess that could be an option. In that case there could be one huge file included (Maybe something that would fit into a 8k resolution?) and then you could do it the other way around, rather than "upscaling" the small original file you could downscale the new big file (That would be automatically decompressed and written to the disk) instead?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2014 at 12:00 AM, FunkyFr3sh said:

Dune 2000 Config tool: Dune2000Config.exe

I want to report a problem I find with the lastest config.exe provided (December 2018). It happens when I executed cncnet5.exe; the program update some files including the config, changing something on the game.

As soon as I start a skirmish online, two black bands on top/bottom of the screen; So I exit the game and when I executed the config for my surprise it changes, but anyway; I tried multiple options to have my desired configuraction: a 640x400 game with no black bands at all.

I tried all the options as "fullscreen" and "extended" and un/checking the sub-options, but when I try the game all looks blurred; even the letters when I load my previous save game no longer looks clean but some are too near to others, so a "VI" turn into something like "M".

Previously, using the "Imp Pant" key and paste into paint or whatever the imagen was 640x400 of size; but with the current version the imagen show it's my desktop resolution (so I cannot show you a screenshot looking bad). My guess here it's that the current config first launch the game at my current desktop resolution but then shrinks to fit the 640x400 (pixel size).

I don't know if I am explaining myself well, but I'll show an example with 1 image from the d2kplus.
If I play the game and take a screenshot the image will look like this.

But in game looks to me like this: (the same image as above but reduced to 640x480 in this case), because 640x400 was not proportional to 1024x768 from the original imagen). 

(In the post I reduced both to avoid filling this with big images); but if you download both and do a zoom, on the original the buildings and units have perfect-pixel looks, while on the other some pixels are mixed, so instead black pixels around the windtraps, now are grey. <-- of course, I reduced the size without any consideration or options, but just to give you an idea what is happening to me.

Again, this it's just an example, but overall this is what happens to me. With the two black bands the game looks fine, but I was expecting that if I pick up the "extended" part, the game will stretch the image so yes, my tanks are a bit fatter/taller that they were originally (since my monitor don't have the perfect proportions to that resolution); but at least the buildings would be perfect pixelated as I like.

I was lucky I could recuperate an old config from two other guys; I think even their version was even older that the one I have, but I only needed to execute this other config, click on "ok" and that's it, game revert to the good looking 640x400.

As an aditional note; my desktop right now it's set to 1024x768 (same as the imagen from d2k plus site), which it's not proportional to 640x400, but 640x480 (but only on 640x400 the game looks as originally was designed, with 4 icons on screen filling perfectly the tab bar and no empty parts); So yes, I guess the game just shrink the image and because of that all gots blurred instead the perfect-pixelation from the game.

And as a final note: The config I am using now that works fine had 2016 as date; I downloaded gruntmods on nov/dec of 2017; which the config was slightly different, I think, but I lost this one because was overwritten when I executed cnc5.exe. Still right now, with that 2016 version, I can play the game fine and all looks fine so there is no rush on this (I was not even going to write about it).

But I realize that at some point I'll need to format the PC and, if I download gruntmods again, I would like to have the option to play it at 640x400 as the game was originally intended.

Edited by Cm_blast

On 12/20/2018 at 11:56 PM, FunkyFr3sh said:

Yeah looks good. Code is still the same old: https://pastebin.com/hx5uQEpT

What you suggested is possible, if we include a whole file for 1280x720 for example then it's already 1.8mb so that's quite big... Including only the changed parts is as simple as including the whole file, but how big would that be?

If I compress the 1.8mb file with lzma then it turns into 25kb only, so I guess that could be an option. In that case there could be one huge file included (Maybe something that would fit into a 8k resolution?) and then you could do it the other way around, rather than "upscaling" the small original file you could downscale the new big file (That would be automatically decompressed and written to the disk) instead?

I like the idea of using a big image (compressed) and making it smaller. I will try some code to make that resizing work. However I already looked into using compressing in c(++) code, I did not succeed. I will need to take a look at this again, I'm not so good at C(++), I'm better at Python. Perhaps you got some suggestions?

Something different. I and some users (here) reporting that with small map and big resolution the menu "gets stuck" on the background next to the battlefield. Helkor Duner made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU6bxnCXgv0&amp;feature=youtu.&amp;t=0m26s Can this be fixed?

Edited by D2k Sardaukar

Hey. I can not understand who is to blame for this: I decided to download the cncnet for a multiplayer game, but after putting it in the game folder there was an inscription that I have an old version and I need a patch 1.06. How can I fix this?180693438_(128).thumb.png.2ce82fe9872e6bf81371645334b0dde2.png

Edited by Helkor Duner

28 minutes ago, Helkor Duner said:

Hey. I can not understand who is to blame for this: I decided to download the cncnet for a multiplayer game, but after putting it in the game folder there was an inscription that I have an old version and I need a patch 1.06. How can I fix this?

I guess you are using a vanilla dune 2000 game (not the gruntmods version), and you probably have the early version of the game. this early version don't have grenadiers, St.Raiders or Sardaukar for multiplayer game (practice vs the AI).

You need to install the patch, which it's official; I guess clicking "yes" there will do it; but if you are not 100% sure you can download the file directly from here and look at it before installing.
https://forum.dune2k.com/files/category/15-patches/

It's official from Westwood; so should work with no problem.

12 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

I guess you are using a vanilla dune 2000 game (not the gruntmods version), and you probably have the early version of the game. this early version don't have grenadiers, St.Raiders or Sardaukar for multiplayer game (practice vs the AI).

You need to install the patch, which it's official; I guess clicking "yes" there will do it; but if you are not 100% sure you can download the file directly from here and look at it before installing.
https://forum.dune2k.com/files/category/15-patches/

It's official from Westwood; so should work with no problem.

Oops, I was sure that I already had a patch 1.06, but the inscription in the menu turned out to be incorrect. Thank.

P.S. The "yes" button opens the browser search.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Shifu said:

How to disable it?

fps.png

Hey mate! Open the Dune2000Config application in your D2k directory, then navigate to Video Options and disable Show FPS. That should get rid of that.

4 hours ago, Fey said:

Hey mate! Open the Dune2000Config application in your D2k directory, then navigate to Video Options and disable Show FPS. That should get rid of that.

But, in the latest version Dune2000Config, there is no such checkbox Show FPS...

3 hours ago, Shifu said:

But, in the latest version Dune2000Config, there is no such checkbox Show FPS...

I still use an old version; if you really need to get rid of that ASAP try it.
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27847-black-borders-small-screen/?do=findComment&comment=396216

But if the FPS showing it's not that bad just wait for Funky answer.

If you ever try the old version, don't overwrite the one you have, just execute it to unmark the FPS part.

7 hours ago, Shifu said:

All this is useless ... 😥

The old 2016 version have a "show FPS" option, but you need to move it where you have the game in order to work, I am not sure if has to be called exactly "Dune2000Config.exe" in order to work; but anyway, the option it's there, should work, dunno why doesn't to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I decided to move from high resolution to lower. It used to be 1920x1080, I chose 960x540, because here the pixels are divided exactly into each other, so this resolution does not look blurry (pixel length is exactly 2 times less than in the monitor resolution). But the problem is - exactly on this resolution a certain bug occurs. When I move the mouse to the right or bottom side of the screen (scrolling the map or menu), the mouse visually remains at the edge. However, if I try to move the mouse to the center of the screen, it seems to be stuck in the edge. The most obvious thing that comes to mind is that the resolution of 960x540 is only visually, the mouse works as in the usual 1920x1080, therefore it goes beyond the edges, because of this it is very uncomfortable to play. Maybe there is a setting that fixes this? I use the latest config that is built into the CnCnet.

If this is really a bug, I would very much like this to be fixed.