Dune 2000 1.06p - Game patching (bug fixes, new features)

FunkyFr3sh

GDI Mode is a setting from DxWnd, it changes the rendering to use GDI. 

It solves the alt+tab problems on windows 8/10, it does also stop the flickering for me. And if your game doesn't work at all, then GDI mode might even solve the problem, it's a pretty cool option

Edited by FunkyFr3sh

• 3 weeks later...

Once again it was time to test your new version. At first I got a real problem: Aspect ratio was off, filtering was gone and I had no clue what was going on. Now it know :) Since I got my GTX 1080 I am playing with DSR 2x, which means I am plaing most games with Downsampling @ 3620 x 2036. Somehow your patch uses the biggest resolution available and then applies it's wonders. But by not using my screen's native resolution of 2560 x 1440 the patch results in stretched and unfiltered images. So, now that DSR becomes more and more popular, could you change you patch, that it just uses the NATIVE resolution as a basis and NOT a Downsampling resolution?

EDIT: To be more specific: DSR is a global setting which applies to all games. It would be a little inconvinient if I had to disable it every time I like to play Dune 2K.

Edited by Silver83

On 8/13/2016 at 2:27 PM, Silver83 said:

Once again it was time to test your new version. At first I got a real problem: Aspect ratio was off, filtering was gone and I had no clue what was going on. Now it know :) Since I got my GTX 1080 I am playing with DSR 2x, which means I am plaing most games with Downsampling @ 3620 x 2036. Somehow your patch uses the biggest resolution available and then applies it's wonders. But by not using my screen's native resolution of 2560 x 1440 the patch results in stretched and unfiltered images. So, now that DSR becomes more and more popular, could you change you patch, that it just uses the NATIVE resolution as a basis and NOT a Downsampling resolution?

EDIT: To be more specific: DSR is a global setting which applies to all games. It would be a little inconvinient if I had to disable it every time I like to play Dune 2K.

Maybe this has something to do with DxWnd, did you try it with and without?

• 10 months later...

I have spent the last 2 days trying to get D2K running on my computer. The specs are:

Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0 GHz
nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX 512MB DDR3
Windows Vista Professional

I have tried a native install and also a Microsoft Virtual PC with Windows 98 and Windows XP service Pack 3.

On each machine I have tried:

1. native install
2. native install + patched to 1.06 official
3. native install + patched to 1.06 official +  Hi-Res Patch v. 1.4.1
4. Dune 2000: GruntMods Edition 1.6.2.2

On each system the game loads but I get the black screen with the music playing.

I have tried running in administrator, 256 colour, Windows 95 compatibility, Windows 98 compatibility, Windows XP compatibility etc. Many combinations.

The only combination that sort of works is Windows XP in Virtual PC with native install + patched to 1.06 official +  Hi-Res Patch v. 1.4.1. But I have a problem at the 1024x768 resolution in that the map will scroll left, right and up but not down. If I change the resolution to 900x600? (have to check this), I can finally play.

Could the blank screen be related to my nVidia video card driver? If so, any suggestions as to which driver to use?

Alternately, any clues as to why the maps won't scroll properly? Could it be an issue with the virtual machine?

Kinda stuck here and any help appreciated.

EDIT: DirectX version: DirectX 11

Card name: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Chip type: NVIDIA
Driver Name: vga
Driver Version: 6.00.6001.18000 (English)

For a start, it looks like I need to update the video card driver.

Edited by perthguv
DirectX version

13 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

"Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" sound extremely bad lol

I guess it could work like this if you enable the "Force DirectDraw Emulation" setting in the config program. But better just update your drivers

Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, I noticed that Standard VGA Graphics Adapter when I was posting the data from DX Diag. It should say nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX 512MB DDR3.

For some reason I thought that the proper drivers would be on the installation DVD provided by the manufacturer of the laptop and didn't think to check them until I had this problem. Also, stupid Toshiba no longer support this laptop so there are no drivers on their website at all. IMO if it is still running they should provide drivers, even if they are old.

Anyway, I downloaded the latest GeForce drivers from NVidia and it is all working now. The only problem is that they ended up being beta drivers and they are a bit unstable when using the main os.

The game looks fantastic at a higher resolution, which I have now forgotten (maybe 1024x768).

Love your work. Fantastic job.

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

BTW, if there are any new missions that should be included in the package then please post in here.

Here, all the campaigns and maps not included in the current mission launcher.
campaigns and single maps pack.rar

This pack includes:
CAMPAIGNS:
Dune 2 style campaign (Atreides, Harkonnen, Ordos).
Frank Herbert
Ix - Masters of Technology*&**
Ordos's Tactics
The Emperor Returns*
The origin of the Mercenaries
Tleilaxu (campaign).**

SINGLE MAPS:
EBFD: Ancients Rivalries (easy, normal and hard versions).
Ix: The Technology is ours*
Mercenaries: Choose your ally.
No more Spice.
Special Skirmish***
The Rebellion of Atreides.
Tleilaxu Plage

*Those campaign/maps requires the custom templates.bin (changes done with Tibed's) included in the data folder. This will overwrite the original.
**Those campaign have a custom text.uib (the file is renamed) to change some names ingame (this don't overwrite anything).
***This single map have a custom colour.bin: Harkonnen will be blue, Atreides green... This colour.bin will overwrite the original.

Only need to be carefull about templates.bin and colours.bin, since those files will overwrite the originals and affecting the game forever. I have the back up just in case; also if you find one back up of any file would be more easy to you to know what files will affect the game forever, so you can add those back ups as part of the launcher if you want, just as a failsafe.

I excluded images, readmes and other files that are already included in the mission launcher. I forgot to remove the notes.txt of those campaigns which change the game (like Emperor being able to train Sardaukar without the I.Palace). You can get rid of that if you want or move it into the data/bin (where the custom templates.bin) so people can understand how the game will be affected.

By the way. Some time ago I did a reupdate/rearrange of those campaigns and maps present in the d2kplus site from other people, in order to make them to work with the mission launcher (instead the old overwriting the original westwood maps) and fixing one event that make the Luminar's Fremen campaign unwinnable.

I know for sure that Feda and a couple of guys were fine with it, but there are other maps from people I don't know where they are (or they don't care anymore). Since the maps are not really mine. Should I upload those too?

Edited by Cm_blast

9 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

*Those campaign/maps requires the custom templates.bin (changes done with Tibed's) included in the data folder. This will overwrite the original.
**Those campaign have a custom text.uib (the file is renamed) to change some names ingame (this don't overwrite anything).
***This single map have a custom colour.bin: Harkonnen will be blue, Atreides green... This colour.bin will overwrite the original.

I guess we have to leave these out since they're more like a mod rather than a addon

9 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

By the way. Some time ago I did a reupdate/rearrange of those campaigns and maps present in the d2kplus site from other people, in order to make them to work with the mission launcher (instead the old overwriting the original westwood maps) and fixing one event that make the Luminar's Fremen campaign unwinnable.

I know for sure that Feda and a couple of guys were fine with it, but there are other maps from people I don't know where they are (or they don't care anymore). Since the maps are not really mine. Should I upload those too?

Hm, that's a good question. Maybe we just skip them for now and see if these guys might return so we can ask them about it.

Will update the launcher with the new missions soon, probably today or tomorrow

2 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

I guess we have to leave these out since they're more like a mod rather than a addon

The one that uses text.uib don't mod anything, since have a different name, like "FedaIxianText.uib" or "woatext.uib" from the fedas campaigns, for example, so at least the Tleilaxu campaign can still be added. Only this campaign will be affected and don't touch any original or other custom maps.

Edited by Cm_blast

On 26/10/2017 at 2:25 AM, FunkyFr3sh said:

Updated MissionLauncher.zip - Should work properly now on Linux/Mac (via wine)

BTW, if there are any new missions that should be included in the package then please post in here.

thanks for this, seems to be working here using playonlinux

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 3:15 AM, Cm_blast said:

The one that uses text.uib don't mod anything, since have a different name, like "FedaIxianText.uib" or "woatext.uib" from the fedas campaigns, for example, so at least the Tleilaxu campaign can still be added. Only this campaign will be affected and don't touch any original or other custom maps.

Oh right, I forgot about that. You know the MissionLauncher better than me (Didn't work on it for ages....)

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Glurak said:

Is there a way to play DUNE 2000 like i play C&C95 and red alert?  The Old Distance View in Full HD and Correct aspect ratio and working Videos in FULL HD? x)

Not exactly, but you can get very close. Full HD as in 1920x1080 I guess?

Get the latest dune2000.exe from the first post, start the game once and close it again to it generates dune2000.ini.

Open dune2000.ini in notepad and adjust the following keys:

[Options]
GameWidth=640
GameHeight=400
CutsceneChangeResolution=No

[DxWnd]
EnableDxWnd=Yes
RunInWindow=Yes
ClipCursor=Yes
ModalStyle=Yes
GDIMode=Yes
Width=1728
Height=1080
PosX=0
PosY=0
StretchToFullscreen=No

This is the closest you can get right now.

You can also try to set EnableDxWnd=No, then go to the official DxWnd site and try if the latest version got a working fullscreen "KeepAspectRatio" option. The version of DxWnd included in the patch is older and doesn't have that working, so borderless window mode is the only possible workaround atm.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/?source=navbar

Edited by FunkyFr3sh

7 hours ago, Glurak said:

The guy who is doing this has a Coopation with GoG.com and works on it for over 5 years now. 

You can reach him here: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=34931

But thx for this 1.0.6 patch etc so i can play online x))

I will do some testing with it for sure! The most important thing for me is compatibility though, we need something works for everyone. 

I might even make my own, currently working on cnc-ddraw for C&C95 and red alert. You may want to have a look at the new release https://github.com/CnCNet/cnc-ddraw/releases

Edited by FunkyFr3sh

2 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

I will do some testing with it for sure! The most important thing for me is compatibility though, we need something works for everyone. 

I might even make my own, currently working on cnc-ddraw for C&C95 and red alert. You may want to have a look at the new release https://github.com/CnCNet/cnc-ddraw/releases

As far as i know is the Wrapper High Compatibility. Sure some games have some bugs but especially DDRAW works perfect.   But i will look at yours too when i play C&C95 again. x)

Updated Dune 2000 with Compatibility fixes for all versions of windows + linux + macOS

If you got any kind of problems running the game, do the following:

1. Download the latest dune2000.exe and place it into your game folder  http://downloads.cncnet.org/Games/Dune2000/dune2000.exe

2. Download the latest Dune2000Config.exe and place it into your game folder http://downloads.cncnet.org/Games/Dune2000/Dune2000Config.exe

3. Start the new Dune2000Config and set your renderer to "Automatic"

4. Make sure you DO NOT have any kind of compatibility modes enabled for dune2000.exe and dune2000-spawn.exe

5 Download dplayx.dll and place it into your game folder: https://github.com/CnCNet/dummy-dplayx/releases

6. Start the game and have fun!

Notes:

You can now use Alt+Enter to switch between windowed and fullscreen mode.

Use Ctrl+Tab to unlock your cursor.

The window can be resized during runtime, but you might not see a resize cursor (just try until you found the right spot!)

Supports new features such as Shaders, check ddraw.ini for all details. (See Shaders/readme.txt for more details about shaders).

Example Shader usage for ddraw.ini:

renderer=opengl
shader=Shaders\crt-lottes-fast-no-warp.glsl

Edited by FunkyFr3sh
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Updated Dune2000Config once more, I added most of the missing options! There are still a few options left that were not added, but those can be configured via ddraw.ini (Shaders/Stretching). I also added a option to disable the new renderer and use the old original one instead, it's named "DirectDraw".

There are also quite a few new resolutions in the list, make sure you scroll down to see them. Those resolutions are nomally not possible in fullscreen, but the new renderer supports automatic scaling for unsupported resolutions, that means you can use any resolution in fullscreen now. You can also click on the resolution combobox and hit backspace, then type in a custom one.

image.png.d4ab0a87a021900a90d8fb51625b4f6f.png

image.png.433bb604608af44ac402d2cf57020d83.png

Edited by FunkyFr3sh
  • Upvote 1