Some questions about the mission editor

Magier

Hello all,

after seeing some video tutorials about the D2K toolkit I decided to create a new mission myself. It will be a hard mission, where you play as atreidis and fight against allied harkonnen, emperor and ordos. Now I got some questions.

1. When you create a timed event, when will it trigger? I don't understand what those numbers (1000, 5000 10000...) are in real time.

2. When I create a unit spawn event for the AI and set "deploy action" to 2, the units should defend the base, but they immediately go to attack the human player. What am I doing wrong?

• Upvote 1

Hello all,

after seeing some video tutorials about the D2K toolkit I decided to create a new mission myself. It will be a hard mission, where you play as atreidis and fight against allied harkonnen, emperor and ordos. Now I got some questions.

1. When you create a timed event, when will it trigger? I don't understand what those numbers (1000, 5000 10000...) are in real time.

2. When I create a unit spawn event for the AI and set "deploy action" to 2, the units should defend the base, but they immediately go to attack the human player. What am I doing wrong?

1. 1 second = 60 game ticks, so if you want a trigger to go after 2 seconds type 120

2. They might be spawning to close to the player, or the AI is made the send them there

gruntlord do you know any  SOUTION?  the   house 7  aka sandworm  get  mcv via  carryal  then  deploy it and sell  , ever if adding  them  tins of cash, they dont build base  transferring ai from other house does not help - how to force them to build base not selll their conyard?

i had the same problem.. it seems you should give them a base to start of.. or else they'll sell the construction yard at the beginning..

@magier, DeployAction = 2 should enable free roam for those units, thats the normal behavior. Now who knows why they attack; probably some part in the AI file that sends them to attack. So you set them to spawn at the beginning of the mission? I would recommend to use timer = 1 as it spawns them as soon as the game starts.

Now i think that i once tried to use spawn units at a time different than 1 and they hadn't worked correctly,.so try setting the time to 1 and tell us the result. If they still go hunt mode, try using another .misai file for that house.

• Upvote 3

i had the same problem.. it seems you should give them a base to start of.. or else they'll sell the construction yard at the beginning..

well   actual mission editor "prohibits" from  adding  "sandworm" house buldings  or units as it support only  7 houses , we will need  extending the map editor to place buldings for  8th house otherwise they willl keep selling.

well   actual mission editor "prohibits" from  adding  "sandworm" house buldings  or units as it support only  7 houses , we will need  extending the map editor to place buldings for  8th house otherwise they willl keep selling.

for me it happened when i did it for both emeror house and mercenaries house nt sandworm..

Thanks for the fast responses.

@magier, DeployAction = 2 should enable free roam for those units, thats the normal behavior. Now who knows why they attack; probably some part in the AI file that sends them to attack. So you set them to spawn at the beginning of the mission? I would recommend to use timer = 1 as it spawns them as soon as the game starts.

Now i think that i once tried to use spawn units at a time different than 1 and they hadn't worked correctly,.so try setting the time to 1 and tell us the result. If they still go hunt mode, try using another .misai file for that house.

You're right, it's probably something in the .misai file because 2 of the enemies immediately attack while the third plays more defensive. Else I did everything like you said. I gave the human player now enough troops to survive that first attack.

I think I almost finished the mission now, so it would be great if someone could test it and report bugs or difficulty problems (it should be hard but doable) or give other suggestions how to improve the mission. :-)

Edit: deleted the unplayable mission

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the fast responses.

You're right, it's probably something in the .misai file because 2 of the enemies immediately attack while the third plays more defensive. Else I did everything like you said. I gave the human player now enough troops to survive that first attack.

I think I almost finished the mission now, so it would be great if someone could test it and report bugs or difficulty problems (it should be hard but doable) or give other suggestions how to improve the mission. :-)

I shall test it and if i feel it's good i'll put it up on my website after you give the permission..

• Upvote 1

Wow, now that's a tough mission! I actually got owned on medium. I couldn't defend both my base and mercenaries' and the thing is that enemies are coming without stop and from all sides. I could upload it on d2kplus.com if you want, but firstly we have to make sure it is doable. :D

• Upvote 1

gruntlord do you know any  SOUTION?  the   house 7  aka sandworm  get  mcv via  carryal  then  deploy it and sell  , ever if adding  them  tins of cash, they dont build base  transferring ai from other house does not help - how to force them to build base not selll their conyard?

for me it happened when i did it for both emeror house and mercenaries house nt sandworm..

Have you actually gave them practice AI? Missions AI only build back, nothing new...

• Upvote 2

I shall test it and if i feel it's good i'll put it up on my website after you give the permission..

Wow, now that's a tough mission! I actually got owned on medium. I couldn't defend both my base and mercenaries' and the thing is that enemies are coming without stop and from all sides. I could upload it on d2kplus.com if you want, but firstly we have to make sure it is doable. :D

Would be great if you would upload the final version :-)

I changed a few things, so now it's a little easier. When I tested it, the AI mostly left the mercenaries alone.

Edit: deleted the unplayable mission

Sorry for double posting..

The mission was hard to play..

I had to bail out but i found error in the Tileset Data so i fixed it and put it up here..

Magier's Mission Fixed.zip

As Feda said it was hard even on medium level.. But mercenaries seem more stronger than what Feda Told..

Its like survival mode..

But this one has been set to extreme..

Even i got owned..

Try lowering enemy reinforcements so that a player in hard mode can play it and win it even though he might lose his base.. 8)

Otherwise a great idea, Magier.. :laugh:

Ok. I would also not recommend to use bridges as they are kinda buggy. The ones from BLOXXMAS tileset have some issues for sure.

They are buggy because you need to use the right tile data file. 

Original one is unplayable. The reinforcements you receive from Starport are peanuts compared to the massive Ordos attack with so may deviators the few deviators you get are devaited uin a snap. You cannot do anything. I managed to survive the massive attack of Ordos but then I was left without any units and no more reinforcements whereas the enemies continue to receive reinforcements. Unplayable. Also mercenaries get wiped out very easily. You have to give them a couple of Carryalls if you want them to be of any use. Their second refinery is terribly misplaced and the harvester takes centuries to travel.

I have to check your newer release and see. What did you change?