Houses

Emperor Harkonnen

It is offensive to me that you would stereotypically say that the germans have the urge to conquer everything, me being German and all. "Germany" didn't have the urge, certain absolute rulers and dictators did.

Thor, who doesn't seek profit?

Scotland has to be one of the wettest places on earth, how about it can be Caladan? But no, wait, none of the people here are noble enough for House Atreides...

Ah well...

I think Ordos bear a resemblance to Japan, but then so do the Ix.

And as for Harkonnan, slow, powerful, not very bright....USA. Nah, not really, only joking. I think Harkonnan are like just about any country when it feels angry enough.

NATO troops = sardaukar? thats hilarious. I have never seen a more whimpy fighting force in my life. There is no military force like the sardaukar. The sardaukar are raised from birth to be fighters. We have nothing like them. the closest I could think up would be british commandos or american rangers.

You are right...its only seemed to me that USA could be Corrino and NATO is, if look at it from this side of vieve, USA thing...but Sardaukar are better for sure...I heard about commander of some country from NATO sent to Afhanistan and becouse he couldn`t speak english very well, he left other soldiers and USA soldiers found him soon in supermarket :D

And Shao Lin warriors could be Fremen warriors...

there is another resembling between Scotland and Caladan. Scotland's former name was Caledonia.

Hey! You're right! I was so stupid, I knew that, why on earth didn't I figure it out? Let's see.....any other Latin names to apply here......could be.....but other than the Dragon for Draconis IV and the roman numerals that go with it I can't thank of anything at the moment.

There probably is something though. Geidi Prime maybe?

You could compare any of the Houses to 'real nations' because Herbert wrote the Dune novels that way that's why it generates the following that it has since it's first publishing. He used partail history and culture(s) to forge a very human saga. Unlike some sci-fic the characters are not 'alien races' designed to show the human flaw but rather humans representing humans in their complexness.

You could compare any of the Houses to 'real nations' because Herbert wrote the Dune novels that way that's why it generates the following that it has since it's first publishing. He used partail history and culture(s) to forge a very human saga. Unlike some sci-fic the characters are not 'alien races' designed to show the human flaw but rather humans representing humans in their complexness.

VERY complex. On the other hand, it isn't just the houses that represent this sort of thing. The groups like the Guild and the Bene Gesserit, who exist powerfully but without ruling anything can be found here too. Example? Any minor group in any government.

Earth did have kind of Sardaukar in the past. The Ottomanian (=Turkish) empire trained Janissaries, who were children of christians taken away from their parents and trained to fight. Slave warriors.

(If this does not at all aply to the Sardaukar, excuse me. I haven't read the books yet)

I really wonder what country would suit the Theilaxu best. I read that they are religious fanatics. Perhaps Iraq.