Harkonnen Defences - not sustainable?

nemafakei

Has anyone else got annoyed that when defending a base with units, the Harkonnens need to replace more often?

This is because Ordos units regenerate, and the Atreides have repair vehicles.

This strikes me as grossly unfair, especially when considering that missile tanks and Inkvine are both short-lived, flame tanks are far from brilliant at armour, and Assault tanks are a bit limited in range and capabilities. Furthermore, the inkvine catapult is useless against moving units, so a Hakonnen player has a tough time using them for defence. Allright, the turrets are pretty good, but Minos or Kobras can take them out by range anyway. And I agree that 1^ veteran HK units can regenerate too, but in the initial fortificaton, when the Harkonnens are already slow off the mark, do they really need to be hampered by the neccesity of concentrating only on defence?

The Harkonnen don't seem quite as good as the Ordos or Atreides. Some of their units can pack quite a punch, but they never even reach the enemy. The Devastor can be devasting (;D), but two Kobras (for instance) can take it out before it even reaches them.

The trick with the Harkonnen is to surprise the enemy. Being surprised by an army of Devastators can be quite devastating (I know, the "devastating" joke's getting old now), but how do you pull that off? You can use Advanced Carryalls, but that will cost a pretty penny, I can tell you!

What's this, you'r worried about cost efficiency.  shame, shame.  

well there is the possibility that surrounding the enemy would be advantageous.  stick a devastator in each of the four forces you build up and stick in some other of the rifraft and you have a chance of winning.

I agree commanding the Harks is not an easy task. Their units need more speed and better armor. As Ordos45 said playing as the Harks requires a strong strategy. House Harkonnen units also lack range. IMO House Harkonnen could be used better if some of their units were used as defensive forces instead of assualt forces.

I do admit that the enemy would be able to easily pick up your Devastators and carry them away, but he probably wouldn't have enough (if any) Adv. Carryalls on hand. If he did, all you'd need is a couple of Troopers (or Missile Tanks).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, really, the Hark's lack of defensive abilities reflects their brute force approach to battle.  Generally, attack forces get spread out in transit, and make meaty (fleshy if you will  ;D ) targets for the Hark's hardhitting, fast moving vehicles.  9 times out of 10 you will know an attack is comming, don't wait for it it hit your front door! Send some flame tanks to take out infantry, missle tanks to splash the heavier shit.

"The best Defence is a good Offence" !

Tactics like this will most certainly attenuate frontal assaults' effectiveness, and frustrate your opponent into making mistakes, or leave him open while he plans a new strategy.

The Harks are indeed about brute force which means you gotta take it to em!  ;D

I just recently started playing as the Harkonen and found very quickly that they are NOT a defensive house, so after getting bowled over by Minos a few times, I started sending out missle tanks to dust 'em before they got anywhere near my base.  I've seen some people question the power of those lil missle tanks... I dunno what they're doing, but for me, one solid shot seems to pretty well trash a Mino, and they can generally scoot outa the way pretty quick.  

You gotta do some micromanagement with the Harks, but once you get it down it works pretty well.  Some have said they're slow, but they sure as hell outrun any of the Atredies' walking tanks.