What movies are you looking forward to in 2010?

Dunenewt

Uh, I'd have to check almost every movie on that list to see what it's about. But Predators could be intersting - but it could also become a total waste of time. Both is possible with movies like that. What I am looking forward to is the Prince of Persia movie. The first trailer I saw looked great and this could finally be a game-based movie which isn't total crap.

Meaning a reboot? Oh goody.

I remember when the first <i>Thud of the Beefcake</i> came out. I assume this remake will blow the original away with SFX out the ole chlamys.

(Sometimes I wonder if a small asteroid airbursting over Hollywood and causing that part of California to slide into the Pacific would be such a bad thing....)

A new Predator movie could be good, if done well (AvP2 was nothing special, but a lot better compared to the original AvP).

I laughed when I read about the remake of Red Dawn with the Chinese invading the US :D

Actually it looks like people have run out of ideas completely. We get another Mortal Kombat movie as well (I've only watched the first one though).

A new Predator movie could be good, if done well (AvP2 was nothing special, but a lot better compared to the original AvP).

Actually I (and most people I know) think it was just the other way around: AVP1 was quite good. Seeing the Predators hunt down the Aliens in those ruins. And AVP2 was the biggest crap ever (involving Predators and/or Aliens) - and besides that it was also so dark in every scene one could hardly see anything.

Predator 2 was a logical thing to do of Predator. When I first learned of the sequel, I immediately thought, "it's gonna be set in a big city".

AvP, on the other hand, seemed like the people behind it had a very vague notion of both franchises, and just combined some of their elements in an eclectic way. There are noticeable differences in the way Predators are portrayed, and the whole story with the shifting pyramid (not to mention the back-story with ideas like "Predators taught humans how to build") can be perceived as a huge deviation from the canon.

As I said above, Predator 2 and AvP2 feature recognizable elements from the original, and in AvP2 it is even more apparent: scenes like the one when the cloaked Predator emerges from water; a human sees the Predator's eyes flash; the Predator uses his medicomp device to heal a wound; the Predator uses his mask to triangulate a position of an unseen moving object; and, of course, the "classic" version of the Predator's thermal vision - all reference the original movies.

The only thing that keeps me wondering is why they did not place the story in the Aliens universe, as in the comic books and games. A good screen adaptation of the story in Aliens vs. Predator 2 (game) would have made an excellent movie, in my opinion. There are well fleshed out characters, and the plot is sufficiently dramatic and intricate.

• 2 months later...

The Predators are never mentioned in any of the Aliens films are they?

No, the first time the convergence of the two franchises was hinted at was in Predator 2 where something resembling an Alien scull was briefly visible inside the Predator ship (note though that this is a bit controversial as Aliens appear to have exoskeletons and thus, supposedly, no skull). This was later developed in various games on different platforms (non of which appear to be canon though) and comic books. The difference is that the films put the story into the present day, while the previous books and comics usually did it the other way round, placing their stories into the Aliens universe.

Actually I (and most people I know) think it was just the other way around: AVP1 was quite good. Seeing the Predators hunt down the Aliens in those ruins. And AVP2 was the biggest crap ever (involving Predators and/or Aliens) - and besides that it was also so dark in every scene one could hardly see anything.

AVP1 was utter crap - making the xenomorphs look like braindead drones for the love of Shai Hulud.

I'm looking forward to Shutter Island.

Yes, I read it. But that was 13-15 years ago I think. I really loved reading Shakespeare back then.

Today I saw the trailer for the A-Team Movie. I'll watch it for sure because I loved the show when I was a kid. But I doubt that it will be a good movie. Action and fun are good though every once in a while too.  ;D