Ordos

Tanzer

hi guys you seem to have read alot if not all the dune books, i have read a couple myself still got alot to read, yet i dont recall reading about my beloved Ordos, how come that Ordos is in the games, dos any of you know a book where Ordos is alot in.

like there are books called house Harkonnen, house Atredies what happened to house Ordos,

looking forward to hear from any of you out there knowing more about the dune universe then little me  :-

In my opinion, the "creation" of House Ordos was the best decision that Westwood Studios ever made. :) I have been a fan of the Ordos for - wow, 12 years now.

Sadly, it is unlikely we will ever see the Ordos again, as the line of Dune RTS games appears to have come to an end (unless EA decides to resurrect it, which is a very remote possibility). But their memory shall live on.

House Ordos is a great addition by Westwood, without it Dune games would miss some weirdness. Also it helps the gamer to accept the alternate Dune setting and to forgive about deep SF novels turning into a not so elaborated video game plot.

House Ordos is primarily a merchant race and misses mass military forces. Ordos is the coward side, gholas, mercenaries, cyber-mentats, spies, corruption, illegal warfare, any mean is good, provided it costs money rather than blood.

Very little is known about House Ordos, mainly because Westwood did'nt need more than a third remote and mysterious side to spice the game up.

Westwood has done an amazingly good job at building the Ordos mythology from scratch.

At first you may be disappointed because the novels/movies don't feature your favorite baddies. Don't let that to hinder further exploration of the Duniverse, it has much to offer to everyone, especially as you already are a Dune fan.

yea yet a book called House Ordos would rock, i found the other two house atredies and house harkonnen to be good books,

i loved the first dune movie they made eventhough its old i can still watch it from time to time flying into my own little dune universe. 

the first dune game i ever played was on my amiga 500, i think it was just called Dune it was kind of an adventure game, then after i got the first dune battle game i got totally hooked on that, then after i got the 2000 and then i got emperor which is still my ultimate favorit of all games like these, they can make cc and red alert, but its not as good as dune, dune is special.

i know there is only a tiny hope if any at all that they will ever make another dune emperor II or so, but we all the fans out there can hope.

yea yet a book called House Ordos would rock,

Well, perhaps there's a fanfic about House Ordos somewhere on the net.

Even though I like the Ordos, they don't surpass the Tleilaxu (especially in HoD), with whom they share a certain similarity IMO :)

The Ordos in Dune 2 can be also considered somewhat of a prototype for the Brotherhood of Nod (a preference for fast, weak units, hit-and-run tactics, and a general lack of morality).

I am a fan of the Ordos since 1995.At the beginning I don't like them very much...but after I seen the deviator in Dune 2,one of the most original unit in the RTS history,they are my favourite house.I played so much Dune 2 that for remember the sector of the economy I used:primary--->Atreides,secondary--->Harkonnen,tertiary--->Ordos.

And it is true....the Ordos of Dune 2 haven't mercenaries and ghola.It is supposed they haven't the numbers of Atreiedes (since they haven't agriculture at all) and the industry of Harkonnen,but they are expert in commerce and services.Since they are businessmen that use terrorism to compensate they lack of strenght they are the "mafia" side of Dune.In Dune 2 they haven't futuristic vehicles and mercenaries,so it is supposed they have the best generals:in the manual Ammon seems the best mentat (while for example "the instable Radnor" is cool but not very smart when he speak about some vehicles).They also have more unit than the other faction:both infantry and troopers,raider trike and they can order missile launcher and trike.In Dune 2000 they added mercenaries since it was strange that few people from an ice planet could counter alone both Atreides and Harkonnen.In Emperor Ordos are futuristic and they are quite similar to Tleilaxu,except the religion.

• 2 weeks later...

It is interesting that the developers have made the Ordos homeworld an ice-covered planet, to emphasize the fact that it is barren and devoid of natural resources. However, from the point of view of the people inhabiting Arrakis (including the Fremen), the Ordos possess infinite wealth on their planet - water. I guess they could have made a fortune by just importing water from their planet to Arrakis :)

• 4 weeks later...

How about putting phrases like "House Ordos had nothing to do with all that happened", "Meanwhile, the Ordos continued doing their usual stuff", "There were still sub-zero temperatures on Draconis IV" and the like after each chapter? :P

How about putting phrases like "House Ordos had nothing to do with all that happened", "Meanwhile, the Ordos continued doing their usual stuff", "There were still sub-zero temperatures on Draconis IV" and the like after each chapter? :P

Yeah, that would be pretty boring. You'd definitely have to change the events told just significantly enough.

Or the same events from a different perspective. House Ordos was one of the richest and politically powerful houses in the Landsraad, how would they react to the catastrophe on Arrakis? Were they supporters of the Emperor, or tacit detractors? Perhaps most vitally, did they submit willingly to Paul's jihad, or were they forcibly defeated in the runup to Messiah of Dune?

Personally though, I'd be more inclined to write Ordos prequels that are better than the Atreides/Harkonnen prequels. Shouldn't be difficult, I've got a monkey and a broken typewriter around here somewhere...

well House Ordos is my favorite. and i thought that is written about it in the novels,

but i read much about the Ordos and I know now that they are created to the games only.

Things i like in them are that they are insidious, ruthless, and strong in attack.

When I play Ordos, i really get the fun from the game.

Except the Ordos i like Harkonnen in the game, because Atreides units are more able to defend, not to attack.

And the Death Hand rulez.

In the novels and in the motion i prefer Atreides, because it's all about Muad'dib :)

PS: sorry for my english mistakes, i'm polish and i'm learning at least 3 years.

SOMEONE wrote that he is intrested in Ordos since 1995, I WAS BORN IN THIS YEAR xD

Personally though, I'd be more inclined to write Ordos prequels that are better than the Atreides/Harkonnen prequels. Shouldn't be difficult, I've got a monkey and a broken typewriter around here somewhere...

Well, considering the HPL's policy on whatever they choose to regard as copyright infringement, they'll most likely sue you just for thinking about writing something in the Dune universe, not to mention selling your work ;)

The only way to circumvent it I can fathom is to go into intricate scheming trying to remove KJA from the position of their number one Dune schmequel writer, and take his place :D Be prepared to write tons of stuff though - they measure the quality of books by their length in words!

Ah yes, a reference to the second life issue? Good point. Oh well, pseudonyms ho.

Second life, Spanish fan film, I think some RPG or two....

Basically, it's not just whether or not you make a profit, but if the partnership sees the possibility that your product would in some way affect their profits.  It's also a control issue.

Anyone know of any official or fan fiction for Ordos? If someone rewrote Dune, changing nothing, but adding in House Ordos, I would definitely read it. ;D

Ordos would bring technology that could change the final battle,if they are in the book.Think about the deviator gas.

I've given it all lots of thought.

They're all about control, power, but almost no one knows just how much control they have, as they're very secretive. I would imagine they have operatives in every major House

I think that they would have only supported the old Emperor if they could somehow benefit from doing so; they're all about benefits.

They are one of the most likely Houses to have survived with their power status during the Jihad, but they could have easily been conquered instead.

And somebody once said that the Ordos were mentioned in a Dune book. Apparently, some people ran into a couple Ordos members in a cave, probably on Dune. They're definitely not mentioned in the first Dune book at all.