Ordos

Tanzer

And somebody once said that the Ordos were mentioned in a Dune book. Apparently, some people ran into a couple Ordos members in a cave, probably on Dune. They're definitely not mentioned in the first Dune book at all.

House Ordos is only mentioned in the Dune Encyclopedia. Not a single Dune book by FH (and BH/KJA as well, I suppose) feature anything related to House Ordos.

BTW, Ordos is in fact the name of a region in China.

• 1 month later...

EA are not going to pick up the Dune universe, which I feel is a major shame

They don't have the license ATM. And, as I stated multiple times in other threads, I'd much rather prefer a game sticking closer to the books, and not another C&C clone taking place on a desert planet.

Can you really call it C&C clones when Dune II was first? :P

Also, ehm, that topic still doesn't really explain where the Ordos came from. So it says the devs got it from the Dune encyclopedia. But the real question is, who got the idea to put it in there anyway?

You probably mean The Origins of House Ordos Revealed ? I linked to it in my fist reply. Also, the Ordos are mentioned in the interview with Joe Bostic:

5. Who came up with the idea of House Ordos? It is mentioned in the Dune Encyclopedia but not in the novels or movie and is something we have never known for sure.

We wanted to have a third side and there wasn't a compelling and suitable one available from the movie. I think Marc Cram (producer) came up with the idea to use Ordos and we decided to give them the sneaky and devious character.

My point is, they already found the name in the encyclopedia, so they're not responsible for inventing the House.

Originally, I was going to use House IX as one of the houses, but it seemed better as a resource. Also, living in Vegas, the House Ordos seemed like the Mafia. This appealed to me for some reason.

My point is, they already found the name in the encyclopedia, so they're not responsible for inventing the House.

Well, the House in Encyclopedia was nothing more than the name (from Old Earth) and a number of votes in the Landsraad (7 votes). The herald with the snake and the book was taken from another House, Wallach.

House Wallach: Sable on a pale (a vertical band) argent, a closed book tenn

• 11 months later...

Also, Dune II (I think Dune 2000 and Battle For Dune too) take place much much earlier that the first book, so they could have changed a lot in 2400 years (easily accounting for the discrepance with the House Heralds: Ordos start with the "snake and book", but by the time of the Atreides takeover its the bones and Ivy, with the old one now belonging to House Wallach).

Hell, if ordos were that money oriented they may even have just sold it.

I liked the difference between the Mentats in Dune II. Cyril was yuor adviser (he worked for you, almost worshipping you like a hero). Radnor was unquestioningly your Boss. Ammon however was a messenger passing on your orders from "The Cartel". Later on he shows shome emotion, apparently relishing the quiet and distant fact that a powerful man's breakfast had been ruined.

Was the Ordos in-game voice ("Consrtuction complete", "Ordos Unit Deployed") supposed to be his?

Also, Dune II (I think Dune 2000 and Battle For Dune too) take place much much earlier that the first book, so they could have changed a lot in 2400 years (easily accounting for the discrepance with the House Heralds: Ordos start with the "snake and book", but by the time of the Atreides takeover its the bones and Ivy, with the old one now belonging to House Wallach).

There is no plot continuity whatsoever between Dune 2/2000/EBfD and the books, and no one ever intended any to be there in the first place.

Was the Ordos in-game voice ("Consrtuction complete", "Ordos Unit Deployed") supposed to be his?

Probably, but then again, the Atreides have a female voice.