about sport and gamming ..

spicy

long time ago we had a long discussion about gaming and sport

and most of people here was against calling it a sport..

well for those of you who can watch euro sport 2 channel

there is a show right now called video games futuring

world championship in many games like fifa 2007 and mortal combat 4

and car racing and counter strike games..

the show is on fire and the crowd is hilarious the matches is really worth watching specially cs and fifa2007  ..

i think now its a fact the gaming is considered a sport ..

Gaming in its more competitive forms can be likened to a sport, but that does not mean that Gaming itself has been relegated to this category.  To quote Wikipedia:

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

While it's true that Gaming has often been seen as a past-time or a hobby, there are certain genres (notably FPS, fighting, sport simulation and racing) that resemble sports in themselves, and can be played competitively.  But what about other genres?  Strategy games have competitive elements, but they aren't classed as sports.  And RPGs, with particular reference to MMORPGs - they are nowhere near sports.  They're more like life simulation games.

A better description of games is that they are becoming much more than just hobbies, and the different elements of real life that the games are derived from are starting to take them seriously.  Gaming is not just a sport - it's a way of life.

Well, gaming has become such a competitive force that to name it anything other than a potential sport would be redefining what we all know about sports. To those who declare activities 'non-sports' that do not involve the participant moving more than a foot or two, well let's just say I'm an avid lobbyist for chess to be a renowned sport amongst basketball, football, and the American sport that is dominated by everyone but America, baseball.

So... you know where I stand. Or, sit. Depending on your playing style ;)

I have to side AGAINST Acriku.  To me, the defining quality of a sport is that it is a test of strenous physical abilities.  As such, gaming is not a sport, and niether are poker, chess, etc. I say that they are games of skill, relying more on a specific skill set than any actual physical abilities.  I would also say that bowling, pool, and darts fall under this category.

Nor do I think that that makes them any less thana  sport.  To be good at any game of skill takes a great deal of work and thsoe who master them deserve a great deal of respect.

Um, bowling is not a sport? I'm pretty sure it's widely regarded (at least in competitive circles) as a sport. And I don't see why sports have to be constrained to physical activities. The way I see it, a sport is any activity performed in a competitive structure and setting.

well forum members we have been into this before ,, if its on euro sport then it has to have something with sport dosnt it??

but i did not want to start a thread about that again i just wanted

to tell u about the show if u have euro sport 2 its really great

to watch ...

and newt am not talking about  a game here am talking about a tv

show so it could be in general section

i think gaming is a very strong hardcore youth activity that takes great deal of energy and

physical  power i really used to feel exertion and hunger after a long emp game

with doompower and he always  say to me lets play another .. coz his 10 years younger then

me and a powerfully guy i used to feel his physical power and abilities through out the

game and then i complain to him that am tired but he makes me coz he was my freind

same power i see in players like mordosxxx  ..

i think ts safe to call it sub sport  .....

Um, bowling is not a sport? I'm pretty sure it's widely regarded (at least in competitive circles) as a sport.

Sure it is.  And for every person who says it's a sport, I'm sure there's another who subscribes to the "If you can eat a pizza and drink a six pack while playing it, it isn't a sport" theory.

And I don't see why sports have to be constrained to physical activities. The way I see it, a sport is any activity performed in a competitive structure and setting.

I disagree.  As I said before, I think that that physicality of a game is what makes it a sport.  But the fact is people have been arguing what constitutes a sport for a very long time.  I read an article on this very subject three days ago claiming that track and field events are not sports because, while they are physically demanding and competitive (2 of this particular authors 3 criteria for a sport) there is no way for your opponent to directly influence your actions (by physically tackling you, taking your ball away, scoring on you, etc) and thus they are not sports.

I don't subscribe to that argument, but it goes to show that there are many different definitions of sports out there. 

Although I bet the majority do have physical activity as a major criteria.

i think gaming is a very strong hardcore youth activity that takes great deal of energy and

physical  power i really used to feel exertion and hunger after a long emp game

with doompower and he always  say to me lets play another .. coz his 10 years younger then

me and a powerfully guy i used to feel his physical power and abilities through out the

game and then i complain to him that am tired but he makes me coz he was my freind

same power i see in players like mordosxxx  ..

i think ts safe to call it sub sport  .....

Right... which is why all the health organizations are fighting childhood obesity by telling parents to make sure their kids stay inside, sit on the couch, and play more video games.

Right... which is why all the health organizations are fighting childhood obesity by telling parents to make sure their kids stay inside, sit on the couch, and play more video games.

now thats wrong mahdi .. you got the wrong idea here ... if the guy did his homework

and finished his work out  then instead of watching tv he played video games then

he will keep a high level of metal and physical activity now i feel its strange

to see an admin on a gaming forum that have a negative concept about gaming ,,

Actually, this is the general forum.  The gaming forum is below it.

You say negative, I say realistic.  You say playing video games is an intense phsyical workout.  I call BS. 

I am not a gamer but I believe video games can be as artistic as films or music.  I believe that to be good at them you do require skill.  I KNOW that you do not get a good phsyical workout playing them.  Hell, the Wii fit and its designers don't even claim to give you a real workout.

ohhhh i didnt say workout sir. am a sport man and i run 4 mils everyday and i am a gamer so

i know what hardcore gaming is .. which you dont know ... am sorry to say it this way but

u really dont know haw hard 3 hours of emp can be on ure buddy and soul ...

i said hard physical and mental activity and i didnt say workout at all ...

so they are a sub sport .. did u ever see boys playing xbox winter games and

trying to repeat the moves they did next day on real snow?

games puts u in fast moving worlds were you use your mental and muscle coordination

and advanced skilled reflexes and its a sub sport despite the stone age links u showed

do you know that human brain works slower when u are watching tv than it dose when

you are sleeping??

mental sports have always been identified by  human race i am shocked u dont recognize it

sir ure brain can make you use lots of energy and you should learn haw to use it more

games like chess and backgamond and risk was invented in that perpus

and what other than playing makes the child learn and grow ??

even reading is a mental sport but gaming makes you move you muscles also

do you know masterbatting = running for 400 meters ?

and smoking pod makes ure heart beats faster then racing carl Luise in 100 meters race ..

anyway we did talk about before and we did have the same replies that we are saying now

and that thread didnt reach a good end and i didnt want to repeat it

THAT SHOW IS ON EURO SPORT 2  and it kicks ass .. and watching those world champions players

is really an honor to me and they gave me great time yesterday watching fifa 2007

brazil vs france and the crowd was crazy about it ...

thats the topic of my thread but feel free to keep this conversation running

but am not trying to prove anything

Not particularly, the adverts may depict people swinging and thrashing wildly but in truth in doesn't take long for people to realise that only very minute movements are actually needed to produce the same effects. It's all in the wrist.