What hardware are you going to buy in 2008?

veK

I got my new headset and soundcard today... unfortunately I have to send the headset back. I really expected more from this device. So now I guess I'll check out some headphones and buy a decent one and some kind of table microphone...

The soundblaster is great though...

nothing really wrong with it. I just expected more for this price. It also lacked in bass in my opinion. I just expected something that would at least sound better than my current headset. Given the fact that it costs more than twice as much as my current headset I was rather disappointed because there wasn't that much difference. So now I ordered those (I also like the oldschool look):

Beyerdynamic DT-770 (80 Ohm Version) - need to buy a separate microphone then if I keep those.

286.jpg

Also, my portable HDD arrived today. It's awesome  :)

I got my new headphones today... and boy am I glad I returned the sennheiser headset. those headphones seriously rock my ears. I've already fallen in love with them, they are absolutely awesome, both for music and gaming (tried cs 1.6 and painkiller). so now I can buy a separated microphone as well  :)

Vek I have that same sound card you posted above, it kicks major ass.

Well i've been puttting off buying a monitor for the longest time and have been dealing with my CRT forever it seems. Monday I will be getting this puppy and I cannot wait to have it in my hands..........http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009133    I can't even imagine a 25" compared to my measly 19" CRT.

25" = drool.

19" crt = really only around 18" viewing screen. And not widescreen, so when watching widescreen movies it is even smaller.

You'll notice a HUGE difference. Especially watching widescreen movies or videos.

Did you actually see a big monitor like that upclose? Or just decide you wanted a large monitor?

No, I saw this exact one at an Asus outlet store near me and almost didn't leave the store in the hopes I could some way leave with it but, it was much much higher in costs than ordering it from Newegg.. In fact it was something like around a 400 dollar difference in price. But yea, I drooled over it for about an hour before finally leaving the store. God I can't wait till it gets here monday. i'm cconsidering wall mounting it over my PC area. Thats a really decent price for that monitor also.

Here's my next purchase in a few months    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817422018

All I really need to know is, will the monitor i'm getting tommorrow blow away my 16" CRT?

This one is what im getting and is on the way now.....http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009108

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?Image=24-009-108-03.jpg%2c24-009-108-04.jpg%2c24-009-108-13.jpg%2c24-009-108-05.jpg%2c24-009-108-06.jpg%2c24-009-108-07.jpg%2c24-009-108-08.jpg%2c24-009-108-09.jpg%2c24-009-108-10.jpg%2c24-009-108-11.jpg%2c24-009-108-12.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Depa=0&Description=Acer+AL2016WBbd+Black+20%22+5ms+Widescreen+LCD+Monitor

I already got my Matrix trilogy disc set. I had no idea it was a 10 disc dvd set and it has some amazing footage of all kinds....making the movie, bullet-time,stunts the almost 2 years of Kung-Foo the actors had to undergoe. Really a very nice dvd collectors edition. If you liked the movie, you will thoughroughly enjoy this box sset I*t even includes the Animatrix,and enter the matrix game itself. very much worth the 29 dollor price I payed for it. just an AWESOME dvd set. Can't wit to try it out on my new LCD monitor that's on it's way.

This one is what I'm getting and is on the way now.....http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009108

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?Image=24-009-108-03.jpg%2c24-009-108-04.jpg%2c24-009-108-13.jpg%2c24-009-108-05.jpg%2c24-009-108-06.jpg%2c24-009-108-07.jpg%2c24-009-108-08.jpg%2c24-009-108-09.jpg%2c24-009-108-10.jpg%2c24-009-108-11.jpg%2c24-009-108-12.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Depa=0&Description=Acer+AL2016WBbd+Black+20%22+5ms+Widescreen+LCD+Monitor

I'll be so glad to get this heavy ass clunker CRT monitor out of here.

One more thing...if anyone knows of a cheap reasonably priced remote control for my LCD monitor please let me know.. So far I've got a price range from around 65 dollars to up to 400 dollars. I mean I can do without it but it would be nice when I'm lounging around in my PC room and watching DVDs. I cannot afford the one I posted up above,wife will kill me spending all this cash on it.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817422018

Or is there some way that a universal remote will work with it. thanks,

Damn. it seems for the prices of theses types of monitors a remote would come with a fricken thing.

Scar.

20" screen sounds very nice, I mean, looks very nice, but there is always one thing I wonder.

Is it possible to change the amount of pixels that are turned on? Because playing games on 20" requires way more graphic calculation power than for example 17".

Or maybe it would be nice if you have a 22" and could switch between widescreen and 17".

you can play at lower resolutions. lower resolutions aren't recommended though for other things than gaming because the display needs to interpolate and fonts and things like that don't look very good then. currently I'm thinking about getting another 24" display. don't know yet, maybe I'll buy another one during the year. one just isn't enough unfortunately. but I don't want to buy a 30" because it needs a dual-link connection so I can only connect 1 display to 1 card and I don't want to get another videocard. so we'll see...

I'm running a Gforce 7800 gt I hope i don't need more than that cause this is a very nice all around card. I'm sure it will run it just fine with 4 gigs of DDR with it's 256onboard (vid card) setup. I will be pissed if I have to get a bigger vid card. Because it doesen't say anything on the vid card specs to run it that I saw.

it really depends on what games you are playing. take crysis for example. even the fastest card available can't run the game smoothly on high setings and a resolution above 1280x1024...

but if you don't play the newest games on very high settings on the maximum resolution, the 7800 should still be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Just before the weekend I got this little present delivered to my desk.

Seem like normal disks although these are worth 500 Euro's a piece.

Sorry for the picture quality, a simple Nokia made them. :P

HP%20300GB%20SCSI3%20-%201.jpg

HP%20300GB%20SCSI3%20-%202.jpg

Like the name of the pictures files indicates, both are Ultra Wide SCSI 3 10k 300GB disks. SAS drives being more common these days. Then SCSI3uw still is the preferred storage for high performance servers (to me in any way).

For my new toy I just ordered this. Won't be expecting it any day, it will take roughly one month to get the darned thing.