What hardware are you going to buy in 2008?

veK

It's the HDD Silencer-Box. It reduces the noises of the spinning HDDs. It's a very popular and awarded case here in Germany by a brand called ichbinleise (translated I am silent). I bought it for 2 reasons: 1. noise reduction obviously, though my discs are rather silent anyway and 2. because I am going to remove the HDD cage from the case (because of the length of the videocard) and install the HDD Box at the bottom of the case instead.

So my old all in one inkjet printer gave the warning of low on black ink crap it does quite often.

So I'm now looking for a laser printer.

After some research and sale price comparisons, one that I think might be nice is

HP LaserJet Printer (P1505) $108 - monochrome only. Manufacturer sells it for $200.

Or

Samsung Monochrome Laser Printer (ML-1630) $117

Is there anything specific I need to look for in a laser printer? I don't do professional stuff, and I think I can get by with just black ink (colour would add another $60 to the price). I could resort to my old printer if I needed the odd colour print.

EDIT:

Friend recommended an older BrotherĀ  HL-2040 although only when it goes on sale cheap

Something is really messed up. They keep changing the price of the HP laser printer. It was $119, then after an hour of researching other printers yesterday they changed it to $108, now today it is back to $119.

They must have some messed up way of changing the price based upon my cookie stats at their website. I've noticed this at other websites (bestbuy) as well.

The samsung is now $129 as well.

I'm going to boot to my windows partition which I was using yesterday and see if it remembers the price. EDIT: didn't remember the price.

why don't you recommend the brother? Is it because it was manufactured around 2005 compared to these other ones that were manufactured in late 2007?

Ok.

Bestbuy has the HP 1505n on sale for $100 (manufacturer sells for $250). So if they get some in stock I'm running to staples to get price match :P

Or I could settle for the 1505 version for $100. But the 1505n sounds like a better deal with basic networking capabilities :P

F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5, still none in stock. F5F5F5F5...

Only reason I'm f5ing is because the 1505 version got some in stock an hour or two ago. So hopefully the 1505n does too.

Bought the HP h1505n model.

At first I bought the regular 1505 model, then I got home, and saw that bestbuy got some in stock (they had none for the past 30 hours) so I drove back to staples and exchanged it for the 1505n. And they also paid me back $9 because they rang it in wrong the first time. I also had a $20 staples gift card.

So for a $250 printer, I ended up paying $85. :D

I got it hooked up and I think I'm going to like laser printers. [insert devil smiley]

EDIT:

woot got it working in ubuntu. test printed off a wine (drink) list

Looks like ubuntu already detected my canon mp360. I never tried using it.

Is it normal for laser printers to let out a bit of steam or "smoke" where the paper comes out? I just printed 10 pages of text and noticed quite a bit. Although it was gone about 2 seconds after it was done printing.

I just bought the laser printer yesterday. :(

Not on the paper but in the air where the paper comes out.

It looked kinda like steam, although it disappeared about two inches into the air above where the paper comes out.

I just printed 3 more pages and noticed a little bit come out. It seems odorless and disappears by the time it is done printing.

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_LaserJet_1020

This model or printer has been known to smoke even after light use (e.g. 2 pages)[citation needed]. HP's advice is to reduce printing quality to 75 g/mĀ². (Light printing).

The P1505 has also shown smoke when printing a single page with a new toner.

Guess I'm not the only person. There is a pdf document discussing the emissions. Also in the link it has HP response denying anything.

I find it odd that none of the reviews mentioned this. I'm also looking at HP forums at http://forums.itrc.hp.com/ and no mention of this.

Maybe my power supply is not that good? I got a lot of stuff plugged in to a single wall outlet (yes I know unsafe). Although normally only computer/monitor/tv is on doing anything at most. The light in my bedroom dims a little bit, although that is normal when large appliances turn on (old house). According to specs it uses 380 watts when printing and 5 watts in standby. That like more than my computer uses I think. My canon mp360 only uses 47 watts when printing and 15 watts in standby (good to see laser uses less in standby).

HP's advice is to reduce printing quality to 75 g/mĀ². (Light printing)

My printer does not seem to have that option. Although there is a print density option, and an "oconomode" which uses less toner. HP does not recommend economode for full time use. I'm now guessing this means paper quality?

I turned print density down by one. I'll test print stuff tomorrow to see if it is still present.

post-1194-12833239647007_thumb.png

you do know that laser printer are not suited for closed places. . . like a bedroom or living room. ;)

Usually corporations have laser printers set up in air controlled rooms. To get rid of the emissions. ..

I got all my stuff now. Some parts took a bit longer so I couldn't move my equipment into the new case yet. I'm going to do that this weekend, maybe starting this evening. I already use the videocard though and have played some games.

If anyone wants to see smoke coming from my printer with just printing one page, you can watch the 2.2 mb video at

http://rapidshare.com/files/108730386/MOV00311.AVI.html

So smoke like that is not normal for any laser printer? That was a small amount of smoke too.

I still have around 20 days to return it. I also posted this on hp forums, so hopefully someone will reply with something.

https://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1223938

A Silencer-Box for my HDDs

That sounds nice, literally . Do you think I can also buy it in Holland? What about the heat of the HDD, where does it go?

I drilled some holes into my current computer case so the fans can blow better and make less noise (also added a fan). It looks to work great and works silence like I wanted it, however after the last time reopening the case I wanted to see which fan made the most noise (and I could add a resistor to make it silencer), so I started the PC with only the power cable and I stopped one for one a fan to listen. After reconnection and starting the PC everything goes well until the blue-log-in Windows XP screen should show up, my monitor says there is no signal from the videocard. So during 'bios' loading it works, but when the log in screen should come the signal goes away (I also tested on a different monitor, gives the same result). I'm afraid the videocard did somehow get heat damage by stopping the fan, but I'm not sure. I thought there is no problem in stopping the fan shortly and there will be an over-heat protection. Now I'm working with an old Ati videocard that makes a lot of noise...

Anybody got an idea how I can test/fix the card? Can I reset the card, hehe? How do I get in Windows Safe mode, perhaps that helps?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well, i've put this off forever but this is the PSU i'm getting......http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

I love the fact that you can hook up only the cables you actually need.I've seen this one in another PC of a friends and it is super quiet also.

Also great quality cables.....http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=17-341-002-06.jpg&Image=17-341-002-12.jpg%2c17-341-002-02.jpg%2c17-341-002-03.jpg%2c17-341-002-04.jpg%2c17-341-002-05.jpg%2c17-341-002-06.jpg%2c17-341-002-07.jpg%2c17-341-002-08.jpg%2c17-341-002-09.jpg%2c17-341-002-10.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Item=N82E16817341002&Depa=0&Description=OCZ+GameXStream+OCZ700GXSSLI+700W+Power+Supply

should last a long time I hope.And free shipping hehe. Come to think of it,Ive never owned a decent PSU ever.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered everything for the new PC, besides the videocard because it's not that widely available (yet).

The parts:

Samsung Syncmaster 226BW (22" Screen)

Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF Dominator 4096 MB (Work-memory)

Antec Three Hunderd (Case)

Cooler Master M620 (PSU)

Scythe Mugen Infinity (CPU Cooler)

Intel CoreDuo E8400 (CPU)

Samsung SH-S203D (DVD burner)

Logitech Wave Keyboard

Samsung Spinpoint F1 (1TB Harddisk)

Gigabyte EX38-DS4 (Mobo, good for crossfire in future)

Ati HD 4870 (Sapphire) (videocard)

Nexus 120 MM Case Fan (3 times)

Card reader in USB stick (black)

Windows Vista 64bit Home PremiumĀ  NL (Dutch Vista)

Sharkoon Xurface Gaming Pad

Fan Mounts Nexus (Rubber pins to replace fan screws)

X-Fi Extreme Music (soundcard)

Logitech Z-4, 2.1 set(sound boxes)

Total cost around 1500 euro.

• 3 weeks later...