What hardware are you going to buy in 2008?

veK

Nooo, you bought into it.

In Canada it costs $2176 minimum over a 3 year period. We are the second most expensive country in the world for the iphone. After Aug 31, it will cost $2,572 making us the most expensive in the world.

Rogers iPhone 2nd most costly in the world

I'm sure they are very cool. But telco vendor lock-in (contracts and no competition) and high price keeps me very far away from Apple and I don't bother looking at any of their products. I admit they have a great marketing strategy which is working.

It's just my luck the iPhone starts at about 150 Euro's here (free to 70 Euro's for the 8gb version). Making it just about the same price as a Nokia N95 Black and about the same price as a Blackberry. (contract is 2 years)

I have been at the midnight launch where a college of mine bought his version after queueing for 4 hours. Mine was reserved 2 days later.

Apple does has a very awkward strategy. I had an option for the first generation iPhone and refused. If any other company would have made a similar device I would have bought that.

And about the vendor lock in. It's going back 10 years, then again like you are going to change SIM's every day. And after a couple of months you can have it removed.

I just got this out of the box and working and it is awesome sounding....http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2507686&Sku=L23-7250

Nice price. I think I looked at those speakers back when I bought mine. Mine was $50 for Cyber Acoustics surround sound speakers. Work great.

What speakers were you using before? Default two speakers that come with computer? If so it is definitely a great upgrade. Once you get surround sound, non surround sound is terrible (when at friends, in car, default two speaker computer setup) etc.

A friend of mine got the Logitech Z-5500 for a decent price and they sound unbelievable. Makes my surround sound look like a crappy two speaker setup. The subwoofer is twice the size of mine.

Before was a Frankenstein setup, I had a altec lansing subwoofer system with my 2 aiwa stereo speakers rigged to it. It was loud as hell but not that great sounding due to a lack of amplifier for the big speakers.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I just wanted to upgrasde by SB audigy 24 bit so I bought a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme audio PCI of course. but to tell the truth its not that much better as far as amperage.Really not all that happy with it. It looks like a really nice card too awesome looking chipset etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at getting

Samsung T220 22" LCD

It's on sale at several places for $270-$280, regular $350.

Anyone know anything about it or the brand? Every review I've read for it was good. I saw it in a store and it looked nice. the touch sensitive on/off button was cool. The "on" light is minimal and can be turned off.

I have no plans for getting 24" monitor right now because that adds another $100 to the pricetag.

My LG 204WT 20" monitor still works fine, it will be setup with my old computer instead of the current 17" CRT.

Yea i dont know how the hell I pulled off getting mine for 177.00 ongoing sale at the time I guess.cause when I go and look at the same one I bought now it's like 350 or so.But yea your right about the reviews,I value those alot and always check em out.BTW is this your first big flat screen? tommorrow I'm hooking up the HDTV plugs that came with it to my HDTV box for watching my movies on it should be interesting to see.

I didn't get the T220 in my previous post. I would have but staples wouldn't do the price match (ncix and futureshop "apparently" had none in stock).

But now with new ncix deals out today an even better deals have arrived!

Acer X223WBD Black 22IN $180

Staples Price: $230

Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW 22" $215

Futureshop price: $299

Full specs

The samsung is a better product than acer I believe. And there is some in stock. Hopefully there still is tomorrow so I can pick one up.

Reviews at newegg for samsung are good.

Not as good as the samsung t220, but that is why it is $50 cheaper.

Hopefully they have one on display so I can check out if the backlight bleeding and humming noise when brightness turned down <80 are bad (I think my lg had humming problem with backlight turned down). Hmm, its blue power light blinks when in standby mode, so I'd have to shut it off every night. Maybe I'll wait for the t220 to go on sale again.

I'm currently checking various laptops. I need to see and test some live though and I'm also waiting for some which aren't available yet. I guess I will buy one in january... good opener for the follow up thread  ;D

Looking at getting

Samsung T220 22" LCD

It's on sale at several places for $270-$280, regular $350.

Well Today I finally bought the T220. Futureshop put it on sale for $250, so I went to Staples and got it price matched for $241. Regular price is $340. 30% off Weeeeeeeee.

Don't notice any dead pixels or any defects yet. Have 30 day return policy if I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished my new tower:

- Antec 300 case (don't like the 900 for some reason)

- 5 120mm fans

- Intel Core 2 E7200 overclocked to 3.0Ghz

- 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066

- ATi 4870

- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion

- Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound

- Samsung 2693HM 26'' LCD (1920x1200)

- 650W Antec PSU

- 2 Hard drives: (Primary) - 300GB 10,000rpm WD VelociRaptor, (Second) - WD 320GB HD with 16mb cache

- Dual fan PCI slot cooler underneath GPU

- Samsung SATA optical drive

- Logitech MX3200 wireless keyboard/mouse

- Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0

That should be it for the moment. I built this computer to last one year; going off to college next year and expect to replace board/CPU with whatever is out at the time.

Pictures (sorry, only had blackberry):

Desktop:

desktopde2.jpg

w1920.png

Actual pictures:

img00053pk2.jpg

my.php?image=img00056ge5.jpg

img00058ka5.jpg

img00061yj5.jpg

My girlfriend is sponsored by another company and received a new MacBookPro.

The new design isn't as horrible as I thought it would be.

http://picturez.game-heaven.com/MacBookPro_2343.JPG

(BTW. Vek, I love your country right now ;). Where did all those people came from, first time I have seen Berlin as crowded as it is now, the love parade excepted of course.)

• 3 weeks later...