the makers of emp !!

thesnake

i wish to be able to chat one time with one of the peapol who made emp....

i mean did they ever expect the game to last this long.....

i think if they did know that this game is still alive and kicking they will think twice in ending

the dune games...

_ the other thing i would ask about is did they expect peapol to use the game the way we do??lol

i mean did any of them expect the skill level most of the player these dayes have??

to be able to make 100s of units only in few minuets is really phenomenal the level of the AI

on hard doesn't show that they knew peapol will become monsters of emp...

guys like pearl and sardcore  and spaze and others  its just so amazing.. and rare to find...

specially in rts games were they usually die the same year they were made..

i think if they did know that this game is still alive and kicking they will think twice in ending

the dune games...

Westwood are no more. There won't be any more Dune games from them. (However, the former Westwood guys formed Petroglyph, which produced Star Wars: Empire at War.

By the way, even though a small amount of people still play Emperor, the game was considered a flop. With Renegade also being a flop, it became too much for them.

i wish to be able to chat one time with one of the peapol who made emp....

Id like to think if we were allowed to chose a person or two to put forward to talk to them on everyones behalf, we would chose someone who can get their message across better :P

Id like to think if we were allowed to chose a person or two to put forward to talk to them on everyones behalf, we would chose someone who can get their message across better :P

Who did you have in mind besides yourself, yourself, and yourself? :P

Would you want someone with an LSD screen asking Q's of the makers of such a great game ?

The LSD screen does explain spicy's writing style.

I agree with apo mostly about there not having been enough money from emp, but perhaps the individuals might comment about the game they made ?

As far as Emp goes I would have to use the old analogy that it takes money to make money. I don't recall them ever marketing the game. Maybe with some advertising revunues being spent on RTS instead of always on FPS, it may have actually had a chance to make some money. Most kids nowadays are going to buy(or ask their parents to buy) whatever they see on TV. But since that didn't happen we can only speclate at this point what could have been.

Part of the problem was lack of marketing and lack of money, another major factor in my opinion was the on-line playability which now adays is the main facet of the game. Back then connection problems and lag was a big problem suffered by the majority, by the time this was beginning to be overcome the game was already in decline. Even today we have on occasion laggy games which drive everyone to distraction.  ;)

You guys are forgetting one other problem....... Emperor had very high system reqs for its time.  I remember when i first bought it i couldnt play it well on my 1ghz computer with a geforce 1 card..... i had to shelve it until i upgraded to a 2ghz w/ geforce 3.    And i know alot of people who had that same problem.  So emperor was just put out a little too early for its time as it was way ahead of its time.  That also contributed to poor sales i am sure.  You wont hear alot about a game if only 1% of the population can play it.

But i must say with my AMD 4000 w/ dual 7800gtx ... it runs so fast in single player that everything is a blur  ;D  Kinda funny how these old directx games run now on these higher end computers.

Most kids nowadays are going to buy(or ask their parents to buy) whatever they see on TV.

Well des the only reason why i brought emperor was because of dune series which was starting on tv. although i did have dune 2000 and the very fist dune(the 1 with very funny looking men)

anyway if it wasnt 4 da dune series i was gonna go 4 ra2 i had both emp and ra2 in my hands when i decided wich one 2 buy, emperor was money well spent considering i brought it in 2001 late,and im still playing emp.

just a little info use it loose it whatever.... .

You guys are forgetting one other problem....... Emperor had very high system reqs for its time.  I remember when i first bought it i couldnt play it well on my 1ghz computer with a geforce 1 card..... i had to shelve it until i upgraded to a 2ghz w/ geforce 3.    And i know alot of people who had that same problem.  So emperor was just put out a little too early for its time as it was way ahead of its time.  That also contributed to poor sales i am sure.  You wont hear alot about a game if only 1% of the population can play it.

That is funny, because I bought it having a P2 400MHz with a 16MB Riva TNT2 card, and it was OK to play. I mean, it was a little slow, but didn't lag. On my AMD 1200MHz (can't remember model), with an nVidia GeForce 2 MX (64MB), I could could run everything on max, and it was smooth as silk!

i agree with gun there on the insane sys specs u needed at the time, (that was a slow period for many gamers at the time lol)  'TURN MULTITEXTURE OFF !!!!!! -how many times did i repeat that back then,    what u got?  TnT2?  hah!  go play c&c :)

most of us were still on the old amd/intel 600 or similar with a gf2mx or something,

even some of us who had 'high end' specs at the time were doomed (1ghz pos, gf2gts,ultra 512mbram)

The recommended specs were a joke as well, they wouldnt allow you to run it at 800x600 all on high w/multitexture and maintain the sweet 60fps mark with consistancy..

in fact i actually used emp as a dx7 card test/benbchmark....  even to this day,  if you can run emperor in 1280x960 with all high while maxing you antialiasing(with supersampling if supported) and max anisotropy, and still get 60fps without a drop...yea not a bad machine you got..

but i rekon it was the bad mix of marketing, timing and the title... even though it says 'dune' in its title, not many actually thought it was the sequal to d2..till you showed them.

morely a game called emperor: , but with some dodgey side title..as opposed to the traditional dune: insert sub-title here..

i believe most dune players were sold to ra2:yr ..coz at least they knew what it was before they bought it (assuiming theyre a bit noob) :P