FEAR for free

Danuary

Yes, you read the title right Vivendi universal has recently released the full multiplayer mode of its much acclaimed FPS as a free standalone download.

All you need to know? Free FEAR

download here, here, or here (recommended, free registration gives 500k download)

Fill out this form here and congratulations, your soul now belongs to Vivendi universal you may now enjoy your free FEAR.

Yes, you read the title right Vivendi universal has recently released the full multiplayer mode of its much acclaimed FPS as a free standalone download.

Hope that answers your question erjin.

If anyone is up for a match add me on Xfire, my nick is Rewired9.

Most likely they will get people hooked... then pull the plug.  Forcing you to buy it.  No company is gonna pay 100's of thousands of dollars to produce a game so that people can have fun for free in the hopes that it might make people buy the single player when in reality the main reason for buying these types of games is for multiplayer.  Sorta like Battlefield 2.  Who the hell plays BF2 single player?

well erjin i wouldn't be surprised after ea left the door open to playe the downloaded copy of bf2

on private ranked  cracked  servers..they are even sponsoring some of them..

i mean it was so easy from the technical side to block the invalid CD keyes just like all the other games.....i told you befor but you didn't listen

I do! ;D

Well, I don't think I'll be touching FEAR anyway. No time to play, apart from a little decline in interest in gaming.. But leave that aside.

i wont get it olso... you know why?? because as a consumer i don't have time and am not even intrested  in sierra best fps game because i have allready ea best fps (bf2) for free.. and i playe the full multiplayer game

for free under the ears and eyes of ea games...

note: i think  what those companyes want...is : players and hardware buyers just like me..

Oh come one guys, whats fishy here? there are just under 100 servers compared with CS:source's >1000, 100 is pretty insignificant. Even before the free release almost every single server was empty. If anything they want people to fill up multiplayer and think about getting the SP version of fear while they are at it.

I don't know where you live american Cowboy but here in America single-player games with hyped up singleplayer modes usually have the emphasis on the singleplayer. Case in point, Riddick, COD, Oblivion, splinter  cell, half life, silent hunter, homeworld, etc.

So, now if you will just kindly sign in lambs' blood here, here, and here you are all ready to play First Encounter Assault and Recon, multiplayer.

when i say pull the plug... i dont mean shut the servers down...   "pull the plug" is a metaphor for them not letting you play for free anymore...aka you gotta pay.  And FEAR is not as epic as oblivion or DOOM or HL2 to where the single player would be the main focus.  Hell, if i remember correctly FEAR single player is so weak that it can be beaten in like a day or two. IMO Multiplayer is the only thing FEAR has going for it ... like BF2.  Just my opinion.  And I've been gaming for 23 years so i am confident/content in my tastes.

ok.... when they send out a message saying *due to the costs of maintaining the servers, we are now forced to charge a monthly fee, sorry for the inconvenience*, dont say i didnt tell you so.   If not then they are really nice people.

when i say pull the plug... i dont mean shut the servers down...  "pull the plug" is a metaphor for them not letting you play for free anymore...aka you gotta pay.  And FEAR is not as epic as oblivion or DOOM or HL2 to where the single player would be the main focus.  Hell, if i remember correctly FEAR single player is so weak that it can be beaten in like a day or two. IMO Multiplayer is the only thing FEAR has going for it ... like BF2.  Just my opinion.  And I've been gaming for 23 years so i am confident/content in my tastes.

Doom? HL2? excusez-moi mr. Cowboy but every single reviewer at Gamerankings begs to differ.

Pulling the plug? charging a monthly fee? well mr. Cowboy there is no strain on their servers because they are all hosted by the players, not to mention there would be a huge outcry because they never said this release would be time-limited.

Next-time, please do a little research before looking a horse in the mouth.

knew there had to be a catch.  marketers are employed not because they give away free stuff... but becuz they make you unhappy with what you already have and make you want to upgrade/change/buy new.

p.s.- game reviews mean jacksh!t.  I've seen terrible games rated high.  I personally have played FEAR as well as other friends and i can tell you that the game gets ultra-repetitive and can be beaten in a weekend ... extremely short for a game that costs 60 bucks.  I think HL2: Episode 1 was longer and it was only 20 bucks.  Not only that but the game is poorly coded with its shadows and its code is so inefficient that most people have to play it at low res making it look like crap.... and in addition , people with high-end SLI rigs still only get like 50-60fps.   Not only that but the game had poor sales.  Extremely poor.  Dont even try to compare it to other epic games that were best-sellers and actually sold out in some places.  The whole reason they are having to give away something for free says everything.

But it is nice that they are giving free stuff away so people like Spicy can play.

AC

Okay cowboy, you seem to like stating facts that lack a source or actual basis. Lets examine a few of these "facts"

First of all, a new expansion is not a "catch". If you do not care about the singleplayer or the expansion, it does not affect you in anyway. The only change you should see is less players due to people leaving to the expansion.

marketers are employed not because they give away free stuff... but becuz they make you unhappy with what you already have

hmm, I don't know about you, but aside from those christian childrens' fund commercials, I haven't been made unhappy recently by the ads for "head and shoulders" shampoo or chocolate milk. If marketers are really supposed to make you sad, then why did the powerbar people give me a chocolate power bar and gel after a triathlon? They weren't playing green day or avril lavigne at the booth so I am wondering where this strange accusation came from.

I personally have played FEAR as well as other friends and i can tell you that the game gets ultra-repetitive and can be beaten in a weekend ... extremely short for a game that costs 60 bucks.  I think HL2: Episode 1 was longer and it was only 20 bucks.

Wait, I just beat episode one last week, and if I remember correctly, it took me from 11am-4pm,(with an hour lunch in between) that's quite a bit shorter than a full weekend. Ultra repetitive means boring? you mean like halo? thousands of "regular" people would disagree with you; or how about a popular game on these forums, CSS or BF2? all you are doing is playing the same map over and over with the same weapons, the only difference is the enemies act different. How about pacman? do you consider that a crappy game?

Not only that but the game is poorly coded with its shadows and its code is so inefficient that most people have to play it at low res making it look like crap

Inefficient? I can run it perfectly with most of the settings on maximum, all the firefights are extremely visceral with dust clouds in the air from the building getting blown to pieces and flashes of gunfire reflecting off the walls creating a strobe effect in dark areas, oh and did I mention, this is on a 6600gt, about $130 Canadian right now, and will arguably be obsolete in a few months. Heres news for you, a 9300 does not constitute a good or even average GFX card, nowadays all those are good for is writing an essay. There are too many people on the internet whining how games have "poor coding" and their system should be able to play it because they could play the first one in the series. Quite often these people have a 3GHZ p4 with 2GB of ram but terrible graphics card like a 5500. That is the equivalent of taking a tank to tow a Winnebago but connecting them with a chain of paperclips. I would imagine your friend is running a "paperclip" system just like this.

On a lighter note, the server list has recently been expanded with 800 new servers, probably even more by the time I start playing today.

Anyway I just thank Sierra for giving me a good game for free..EA will never do it in fact they just pull the plug after one yearof their products release(the ea sports case)about the SR.Just dont put soft shadows it requires a very good GPU..I run it on high with a 6600GT,AMD 64-Bit 3200+ and 1024 ram.(1024 res)

I agree with eveyrthing Rewired said there, and I almost threw up when I read the crap that Mr. Cowboy there wrote :).

FEAR has a great scalable engine, with great graphics, a lot of stuff going on the screen, and one of the best AI in a FPS game. Its singleplayer is more interesting and varied than the one in HL2 (it's composed of both action and horror sections), plus it has its own multiplayer. (don't talk about HL2, CS Source is technically a different game, and you better not bring HL2 DM up :P) I'm not saying FEAR is perfect by any means, but it was revolutionary in many ways, and its sequel will greatly surpass it. Aside from the Gravity gun (which gets boring quickly...), HL2 doesn't have anything really special... the engine runs nicely on older systems, but it's not nearly as flashy as what the guys from Monolith created.

I personally think that it's a very smart move to release FEAR's multiplayer for free. It will increase FEAR's popularity tenfold, which will in turn make a lot more people buy the sequel. Guys I gotta go now.. to play FEAR Combat ;)

P.S. Hello Azzurri!