Trilogy set after the Battle of Corrin

Dunenewt

We may do a novel or trilogy set after BATTLE OF CORRIN dealing with the formation of the great schools, the Great Convention, etc. The fans keep writing us and asking for that story.

Sounds good.  :)

That's in addition to the three novels already planned after Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune.

Our next planned project is a trilogy we've called "Paul of Dune," with the titles of the three books tentatively, PAUL OF DUNE, JESSICA OF DUNE, and IRULAN OF DUNE.

This story, set between HOUSE CORRINO and DUNE -- as well as between DUNE and DUNE MESSIAH, in alternating storylines -- will tell the story of Paul's younger years, his friendship with Duncan and Gurney, and Duke Leto's War of Assassins against Grumman; and it will also fill in the story of Muad'Dib's great Jihad, Princess Irulan's task

is this a joke or april fool or something!

the old man is turning in his grave for crying out loud!

not that I'd ever read them - I just hate the idea of two imbiciles milking money from FH's work.

besides they are degenerating the entire duniverse!

Don't most people like that somethings are left to the imagination any more? Or does everything always have to be spelt out for people? They better not ruin the mysteries of the guild by making up some half arsed insights into it...

Is it possible for them to not release a Dune novel every single year? By the sounds of it they have enough books planned for the next decade.

I wish they'd spend more than a year for each book. Seems they simply dump them out every September no matter what (probably contract states so).

Maybe they can do this since two authors working on it compared to one author and this allows them lots of time to work on it. Still doesn't seem to improve quality ;)

I fear that sooner or later the original books will be drowned in the tides of the successors' twisted creations.

I bet BH and KJA secretly regret that Dune is set only 10,000 years After Guild, but I think they'll still manage to use this time span as a basis for as many of their books as possible :P

That's how it happens, guys *sigh*. Instead of creating something original, they prefer to keep the beaten track. How shameful :-[

And BTW, I don't believe any of those "thousands of fans long for our books and storm us with letters begging for more on everyday basis" claims.

I may believe that claim, I don't believe KJA and BH are seeing phantoms. But I do think they see all criticism as biased and adversial. They are not entirely wrong in that either, plenty of people have been roaming around marking the books as evil. But they do forget that plenty of criticism is very constructive, and could actually help them.

As for writing so many books; I think they make their first books (the House prequels, which were actually not bad) worse with every new book they write. When I read the House prequels for the first time, I liked them as they were a new view on the Duniverse (and I prefer the pre-Leto II era over the post-Leto II)

However when I read the Butlerian Jihad, I was too often annoyed by shortcomings to really like the book for the good elements it had. I stopped reading their next books as I feared my dislike would only grow bigger.

With every new book they write the House prequels will just become another three on the heap of "those new Dune novels", instead of an interesting and different perspective of the Duniverse.

Is it possible for them to not release a Dune novel every single year? By the sounds of it they have enough books planned for the next decade.

I wish they'd spend more than a year for each book. Seems they simply dump them out every September no matter what (probably contract states so).

Maybe they can do this since two authors working on it compared to one author and this allows them lots of time to work on it. Still doesn't seem to improve quality ;)

No, it definitely doesn't, and anyone who honestly believes they can even pump out a quality SHORT STORY in just under a year of thinking and conceptualizing and characterization and plot development etc. is just fooling themselves.

See, the problem is that the prequels, even the house series, read like dry textbooks for a grade 9 history class.

Too much narration

Not enough DESCRIPTION

Too much talking

Not enough DIALOGUE

Any decent writer or someone who really appreciates literature can tell the difference between such things. one actually engages the reader on a visceral level....the other just takes up space and fills in the blanks, instead of letting the reader do that themselves.

The best part of herbert's writing was the way that he would force you to figure out for yourself some sly plan of the tleilaxu or BG over the course of 5 or 10 chapters, without ever actually telling you full out what said plan is, but instead, making you pick up the clues from human reactions and clever dialogue between intelligent characters that all seem to have their own agendas.

brian and kja are quite the vice-versa opposite of that.

• 3 weeks later...

As most fans, I jumped at the idea that the original series would finnaly be finished. I was glad to here tha his son would do this (who else would have a better grip on the story)

now we are what 5 years ahea (more) and 6 books (the house books did have some slight appeal but the bjh ugh)

now finnaly we get the final books and the hardcore fans as me are haitating to read them because things past its a shame

I don't know if I am to read them bus as it goes I am a fan so perhaps...

still they ment well (probebly) but f####d up

I was glad to here tha his son would do this (who else would have a better grip on the story)

This seems to be quite a widespread illusion. I, for one, don't see any reason why BH, only for being FH's son, has to have all the authority in everything concerning what his father wrote. Blood relationship in no way implies intellectual similiarity of any kind, especially if we're talking about works of (literary art). Art is a very creative way to express one's personality, and I doubt anyone except the person in question, son or no son, can perfectly understand his/her inner world.

Um, I guess this would be an a bit oversimplified explanation ??? What I know for sure is that every human being as a unique individual, and we all differ from our parents (essentially differ) the very same way we differ from any other person in this world. Of course, being Frank's son, Brian surely was more, um, personally involved, but that doesn't guarantee you his interpretation of his father's writings is in any way better than those of everyone else who read it.

Um, I guess this would be an a bit oversimplified explanation ??? What I know for sure is that every human being as a unique individual, and we all differ from our parents (essentially differ) the very same way we differ from any other person in this world. Of course, being Frank's son, Brian surely was more, um, personally involved, but that doesn't guarantee you his interpretation of his father's writings is in any way better than those of everyone else who read it.

I'm not saying he is the best choise but he most likely would understand his fathers philosphy behind the story becaus Frank probebly woudl have discussed it.

However he is, as you say, a individual and unique person with his own idea's, that woudl explain why tha books he wrote with KJA are in the spirit of dune but are also full of crap.

How closer you stand to a peron how better you would understand him, we as his readers know what he wrote but less of what was his motivation behind it. Brian would have more acces to that. But he would in now way have a complete idea of what Franks Idea was, no-one can only frank could (may he rest in peace)