The Settlers !

erjin999

The series of games about little men who went around building stuff and fighting other little men.

There are now 5 versions of this game, which started out on the Amiga (at least thats what I think !).

Thats where I first played it, and now have it going on emulator.

Speak of your own experiences with The Settlers...which one is best ? Why ?

Is the new one any good ?

I liked the third one the best probably just because it seemed the richest of the lot. But the first one was a classic, just so hard to choose ;D

Anyone know what the new lot is like?

From my experience of the first one, it can take some getting into, but is extremely rewarding. One of my most favourite games ever !

First time I played it, I put it away as it seemed too steep a learning curve.

Now I am glad I had a second go.

Fantastic game! Little lemming like good Samaritans, tyring to build a kingdom of there own. heh!

Ive only played the first one and was it a rewarding moment when I finally got my little folks trained up to become 1st class nights.

They truly were the nights in shining armours of that game. :P

yes i like the settlers its a cool game and sierra  have a good game like it called empir earth

I don't quite see the resemblance.

Anyway. Settlers 1 and 2 are very good games. I've played them almost too much.

However, the later games were not that good. I've played Settlers 3 quite much, but I stopped sooner than I'd hoped for.

Settlers 1 was extremely in-depth for its era. Were the newer ones deeper in the strategic side of things, or were they about the same ?

Did the newer games stay as complex or get more complex ? Or even soften up a bit ?

2 was brilliant, even in its simplicity. I remember playing the campaign really made you feel like an explorer, stranding in strange lands.

I liked 3 too, more sophisticated (not just in graphics). Somehow every new game felt like you were building a community. The fog of the unexplored map really has something eerie, for all you know there might be another civilization there, possibly more developed then you.

Never played 4 much. It was mostly and upgraded version of 3. Still good though, in fact reading this thread prompted me to reinstall it.

Never played 5, the way the reviews talked of it didn't entice me and nobody I know played it.

• 3 weeks later...

Got em all and love em all for slightly different reasons.

Settlers 1 was a unique game of it's time and truly challenging, a good strategy game combining Sims type play with war gaming, the two player mode was virtually unique at the time.

The random map generator was the best feature of the game and i wish it was available to modern strategy games.

Settlers 2 became the classic version of the game and set the stage for the the two follow ups in style of play. This is apparently being redeveloped for the modern market.

settlers 3 and 4 followed very much in the settlers 2 vein except for two major changes firstly roads where not needed to link buildings but developed as goods moved about and second you got to play the various races.

Settlers 5 or settlers heritage of the kings or HoK as its known, bears little resemblance to the originals.

The new game engine and game play are far different for those origonal games. firstly it is character driven and all the classic traits have gone.

It is an extremely poor multi player game due to the one keep factor.

There are two expansions to the HoK game.

Personally i feel that this one is more like a combination of Genesia and Warrior Knights battles.

All were good, enjoyable games in their own right, and i still play all from time to time. save settler 1 which sadly i can no longer run even in a window on my PC and my Amiga gave up the ghost some months back.

All were good, enjoyable games in their own right, and i still play all from time to time. save settler 1 which sadly i can no longer run even in a window on my PC and my Amiga gave up the ghost some months back.

Emulator. Talk to me via IM and we can sort something out ;) Something nice about having your Amiga back in front of you, with even more expensive hardware you couldnt afford at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

i tryed settlers 5 or hok and i didnt like it at all...

the game is hard..and they never give the resorses you need and if they did they never give you time to build up...because by then all the mines will be empty..the combat is crap and in the way off mass and push kinda thing...i didnt even complete it..coz it got realy hard after so i was board.