a riddle

piterdevries

I did, simply in order to check my meagre Bible knowledge. As expected, everything was made before Adam with the exception of Eve. And Adam named just about everything as well, so there's no help there. I thought that perhaps it might be one of the four rivers (Tigris, Euphrates, etc), but then which one? And that certainly wouldn't fit with all of the lines. Why would it travel in fear? Did one of them ever have a soul? Not as far as I know. The snakes doesn't work either, despite absence of hands and the like. What I notice is that it says the answer 'withdrew' rather than 'was banished' or the like. So it went away from Adam of it's own accord.

... Hmm. I think someone with a better of knowledge of the King James Bible might stand a better chance.

I guess it's one of those riddles that if you know it, you can't understand how people can miss it, and if you don't know it, you can't understand how people got it. Trust me though, the one answer really makes sense in light of all of the clues.

Hint 2: the "soul in me" is not necessarily just a soul... cha cha cha

Here you go...

[hide]It travels in fear possibly because whalers hunt it down for oil (used for great light) or its blubber. It doesn't have a soul because it's seen that animals don't have a soul and thus can't get into heaven, but in the bible god put a soul in a "leviathan" / "whale" - Jonah (Jonah and the whale?), then took it back out. [/hide]