Hurricane Katrina

Andrew

Bush lifts wage rules for Katrina

So now they are bringing in the mexicans so the contractors can make lots of money. Bush can not afford to hire non-cheap labour. Wonder how long until he changes it back? A year? Wonder if this labour is protected under labour practice laws or if they will be treated fairly.

No, I am not racist, it is a fact, as observed from people in new orleans.

Bush is on tv now dodging bullets from the media. lol. Talking about how approval rating is low, and how Bush said he didn't expect the levees to break. Troops being in Iraq did not slow the releif/rescue operations.

Why is bush always grinning and smiling in a disaster area?

Tool

Bush is on tv now dodging bullets from the media. lol. Talking about how approval rating is low, and how Bush said he didn't expect the levees to break. Troops being in Iraq did not slow the releif/rescue operations.

Why is bush always grinning and smiling in a disaster area?

Tool

Cause Cheny's playing with something shiney in the back, where only Bush can see it.

I thought Bush said he was doing a great job?

So will he go back to judging horses? Oh wait, he was removed from that position (not resign).

FEMA... ;)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,169169,00.html

They said that even before Katrina, Brown had been planning on leaving the administration late this fall to go into the private sector.
Bullshit?

As soon as I heard there were old people stuck in a nursing home dead (on the scanner a couple days afterwards), I thought to myself why the hell were old people left in a nursing home during a big hurricane? LIABILITY! Jesus some people are stupid.

Hope they go to jail for life.

Nursing home owners charged

Couple charged with 34 counts of negligent homicide

That's a lot of years. although it will probably take 10 years before they set foot in jail.

According to a black minister

"I heard from a very reliable source who saw a 25 foot deep crater under the levee breach. It may have been blown up to destroy the black part of town and keep the white part dry," Farrakhan said.

HA! That would coincide with the sounds of explosions people heard when it broke...

As if everything else wasn't embarassing enough...

Cuba is much better prepared to face hurricanes than the United States

Also, as American Cyborg mentioned, Fidel Castro even offered to send 1,586 doctors to the Gulf Coast, while the US federal government was obviously too busy to care. I can't think of anything more ironic than that.

How many more disasters and screw-ups does Bush need to preside over before he gets impeached?

As if everything else wasn't embarassing enough...

Cuba is much better prepared to face hurricanes than the United States

Also, as American Cyborg mentioned, Fidel Castro even offered to send 1,586 doctors to the Gulf Coast, while the US federal government was obviously too busy to care. I can't think of anything more ironic than that.

How many more disasters and screw-ups does Bush need to preside over before he gets impeached?

"Before Hurricane Ivan whipped Cuba last year with 160 mph winds, the government evacuated nearly 2-million people. The result: not a single death or serious injury."

Hell I would say it shouldn't even be the governments responsibility to evacuate. Some but not all.  We have the best storm tracking equipment known to man, I still say 99% of the problem is lack of knowing when to get the hell out of dodge.  But we tend to just wait till the last second, when all main roads are clogged with others that waited, then wonder why all other ways of leaving are no longer available. If you live in a potential hurricane area then you have to expect it every single year. It's not like it is a freak of nature once in a lifetime event, it is every single year there is a chance of one or more. It's not that Cuba has advanced hurricane handling abilities, it's just they use a little common sense on the matter vs. many lazy fools, that choose to wait till 3 hrs before a catastrophic storm hits them. I would love to hear of 1 single American that thinks the government should be soley responsible for their lack of leaving a forecasted, catastrophic event. I'm not trying to defend them, but damn, you can only cry bad government for this entire disaster for so long.

"Before Hurricane Ivan whipped Cuba last year with 160 mph winds, the government evacuated nearly 2-million people. The result: not a single death or serious injury."

Hell I would say it shouldn't even be the governments responsibility to evacuate.

Why not? Isn't the first and most basic purpose of government to do the things that wouldn't get done otherwise? We have governments because we need them to do the stuff people cannot (or will not) do on their own. So if people cannot or will not evacuate a city before a massive catastrophe hits, it is the government's job to evacuate them.

We have the best storm tracking equipment known to man, I still say 99% of the problem is lack of knowing when to get the hell out of dodge.  But we tend to just wait till the last second, when all main roads are clogged with others that waited, then wonder why all other ways of leaving are no longer available. If you live in a potential hurricane area then you have to expect it every single year. It's not like it is a freak of nature once in a lifetime event, it is every single year there is a chance of one or more. It's not that Cuba has advanced hurricane handling abilities, it's just they use a little common sense on the matter vs. many lazy fools, that choose to wait till 3 hrs before a catastrophic storm hits them. I would love to hear of 1 single American that thinks the government should be soley responsible for their lack of leaving a forecasted, catastrophic event. I'm not trying to defend them, but damn, you can only cry bad government for this entire disaster for so long.

Actually, the vast majority of those left behind in New Orleans had to stay there because they were too poor to leave. And the government did nothing to help them.

Why not? Isn't the first and most basic purpose of government to do the things that wouldn't get done otherwise? We have governments because we need them to do the stuff people cannot (or will not) do on their own. So if people cannot or will not evacuate a city before a massive catastrophe hits, it is the government's job to evacuate them.

Well in this case the first line of evacuation procedures falls more on a State and local level, not Washington. I just think Equal blame resides there pretty damn heavily as well. Especially when an entire city is in a cereal bowl below sea level, you better have a reasonably reliable course of action, not hope for the best by moving who you can to a football stadium that itself was not even remotely prepared to handle people in any way. Just my opinion but for starters, the mayor of New Orleans, and several other Louisiana officials that were first to throw all blame right away, should have been along side of Bush when he took some responsibility for the aftermath trainwreck. And being poor is not an excuse for being under informed, and dismiss the importance and urgency of whats going on, or about to happen.

Well for one it isn't as powerful, it is barely a hurricane, and the Carolina's are also not below sea level like Louisiana is. It is moving really slow so there will be a lot of rain but it won't be anywhere near as bad as Katrina.

Speaking of that one btw, it had me on edge and ready to leave it just stayed right off our coast for a few days strengthening. This has got to be one of the strangest hurricane paths i've seen in a long time http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7845030