State of the Site Address

Gobalopper

Well you will have had to have been around for a long long time to catch the relation but Bill9999 from the now deceased Westwood Underground used to do these fairly often and the timing seems about right for me to do one of my own.

As you may have noticed the server has been running really slow lately. The problem comes from our current host and the restrictions we have since we are hosted on a free server. Unfortunately even though we did pay for a large percentage of the server there doesn't seem to be much I can do about the speed issues other then finding an alternative host. We could probably stay here and continue on as is but I don't think that appeals to very many people due to the complaints we regularly receive. ;)

If it does come down to finding another host we would need a fairly large allotment of bandwidth and space which doesn't come cheap. This site alone does about 50GB a month which would likely increase if the server was faster and that total doesn't include the subdomains. Costs for a good host that provides what we need range in the $25/month mark which is well over double what the Google ads generate.

So the floor is open to suggestions. An example plan that would likely support a site of our size can be seen here at 1&1.

Yeah, I've begun to notice that FED2k can sometimes take a while to load.  For me, it just sort of waits about 5 - 10 seconds then loads at the normal speed.  Which is weird, but I can put up with it.  I hope it doesn't come down to having to pay for webspace, but if it does, I'm sure that there's more than enough members on this forum that would be willing to donate a small amount of money, possibly through PayPal, to keep the site going.

My friend Jaszon just recently bought some webspace, and apparently got a very good deal.  You might want to check out this site, Gob.  These are the guys that do the hosting for my friend's site, and he pays something stupid like

Hehe, we use 1and1 too. Can you not split up the site. Or more... the downloads, which can stay on the free host, and the site move over to another "paid for" host ?

Also, wouldnt revenue from Google ads go up as there are more users ? I think thats what you meant about the increased bandwidth if we went to a faster server. Also, how exactly do we get money from google ads ? Can we help by clicking on them etc. etc.. ?

Yah! get a couple of monthly bloods donors to supoort the site.

I think we just get milk and cookies.

Yes.  "Donors".

In canada it's just orange juice and cookies.  They used to pay in the states, dunno if they still do.

Selling your body as a service ( ;) ;)) will soon become legal in Liverpool (serves them right for not living in London) but unfortunately, no one wood pay for my body, otherwise I would look at that as an option.

Is it not possible to have download mirros for our...erm...downloads..? We should be able to use free hosts then for something like that, shurely ?

No erjin is right I don't want it displaying on the main page.

And we do have a mirror but Professor-Botje has been having some problems getting it working. The problem with finding mirrors is that I doubt many would be interested in just having us post 1GB of files on their server. And even when I turned off downloads for a month we did about 20GB and the server was still slow at times.

How about disallowing attachments, no avatars..small things like that that are repeated. Would that help ? Shurely the text used in this forum isnt going to account for so many Gigs a month ? It has to be the pics and attachments.

Hi Gob, I came across this thread 'cause I was looking around for threads on map making, and this one caught my eye. Whistler and I were talking about this subject about a week ago. We were wondering how you and the Strike Team raised the money to run your sites. I don't really look at all this site because my main interest is Emp. online, and because of free time constraints. But most the topics here are of interest to me, as is this site in general. Why don't you just solicit contributions? I have allways felt that in life there is very little that is truly free. And if something is worth having, it is worth supporting. If your member base is large enough It would not add up to that much per person. Whistler and I would certianly be willing to contribute. Is it because of the percentage of your viewers that are minors, and therefor have no means of income? Or do you feel you have a large "casual" base but a relitively small "Die Hard" fan base? Or don't you want to go that route because of a longevity concern?

I think that many people are eithor minors or poor university students.

Or do not have an online account aka credit card. As credit card is the easiest way to send money.

If I get a cheque to clear, I may be able to support $25.

I do not think a 'payed' subscription to the site will do good for the site.

Neither do i believe a 'donation' will solve the problem, cause it is just a 1 time donation.

First i believe that un-necessarry things should be blocked, like pictures in the signature...

Anyway another host should be found i guess, which cost money...

Wasn't there a thread somewhere about Gates donating? ;)

Actually when i think of it, i can't think of anything better then adds or donation. Or maybe contribution (a very small fee) but then people should get something in return...

Like if you pay 10 euro you become a Inktwine something, when u pay 1000 euro you become Landsraad ;D (This is how you all became Landsraad i thought???)

First i believe that un-necessarry things should be blocked, like pictures in the signature...

But the signiture is hosted on my own server, thus not using any Fed2k bandwidth, except for the coding.

I have firefox blocking Fed2k ads, but if they are actually generating money, I think I will allow them to be viewed.

• 2 months later...

And we do have a mirror but Professor-Botje has been having some problems getting it working. The problem with finding mirrors is that I doubt many would be interested in just having us post 1GB of files on their server. And even when I turned off downloads for a month we did about 20GB and the server was still slow at times.

Did we ever get that mirror ?