Mozilla FireFox

At work we have IE6 and it's like going back in time. It always crashes and loading pages takes so damn LONG!

Heh, ya know it's my job to make that crappy old thing go away for good! I'm Lead Project Manager Executive of Windows 7 Rollout in all its transparent glory. Of course, it could go horribly wrong and I end up leaving everyone's machines in the morning with no OS at all... Either way though... no more IE6!

• 1 month later...

Statistics: Firefox 3.5 surpassed IE7 in global usage share last week

#1 browser by version number.

Microsoft really screwed their monopoly on web browsers.

Next target should be for IE to not have >=50% market share.

Anyone want to make a bet if it will happen, and approximately when?

I'm gonna guess February 2011. IE in total only has 56%. So maybe a little over a year from now it'll drop another 6-10%.

Original data that you can mess with.

Sort by browser, winxp has 66%, vista 22% and win7 6%. Microsoft would really love to kill winxp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Correct, its weatherfox or whatever its called, customised the placement so as to use as much space as possible.

I did prefer the tabs below, until I used this for a bit and now have copied the changes to all my computers. Its worth a try.

How about a list of everyones addons, and what you think of them in terms of usefulness?

So I'm testing Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 3 and firefox 3.6. I went to youtube mainpage to see flash stuff, and I havn't installed adblock+ and I see this huge monstrosity:

screenshotyoutubebroadc.th.png

Do people really browse youtube and other websites when advertisements take up 50% of screen space?

Has youtube always been like that?

I click on video link and don't see ads anywheres, so just main page with huge banners?

I havn't upgraded to firefox 3.6 on ubuntu 9.10 yet. Dunno if I will. Probably easier to wait for ubuntu 10.04 final.

First impression of ubuntu 10.04 is good. running smooth off of 4gb usb stick.

It's bizarre seeing ads on the internet at work. Will have to ask if I can install an ad block.

Depending on where you work, it would be an added bonus as it would eliminate advertising vector as malware/virus point of infection.

Think of it as protecting your data/OS (assuming windows) if you have to browse web.

If you already use firefox at work should already be using adblock+.

But I assume you use IE, so you'd basically have to ask to use Firefox.

EDIT:

Unless you get a dedicated adblocker program. But firefox and adblock+ work great. If using windows a customized hosts file will prevent ad networks from connecting in any program. Good if you have windows+IE.

It's bizarre seeing ads on the internet at work. Will have to ask if I can install an ad block.

I use one central proxy server that amongst other things filters out most advertisements. No need to install (additional) software on the clients.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Minefield is the codename for all dev (nightly/trunk?) stuff.

Eventually when they decide to branch off for a 3.7 release or whatever, they'll have a japanese(?) codename for the alpha/beta etc of that release. Then becomes named Firefox when final released.

There's always a minefield version out there as it's just the absolute newest version.

Think of it like for some open source projects tell you to go to svn or git and compile your own from latest stuff. :P

• 2 months later...