Neverwinter Nights

bryorama

More info (system requirements included, I suppose) here: http://nwn.bioware.com/

Edric:

[hide] I noticed the golem politics. ;) But there were other things I thought about. Importantly, 'which one is more likely to help me?' and 'If helped, which one will give more?' If you complete the maker's experiment you get a very strong shield golem that follows you and can cast any spell you teach it. It's also an efficient melee fighter with - if you create it right - the ability to regenerate health, among other things. I played with the rules again here and made mine Valsharess-shaped.

I got a Valen romance at the beginning of Chapter 3, but maybe he's easier than Nathyrra; I haven't tried her.

The first time I hadn't figured out the name trick and killed him 'manually,' as it were. Then I went back and took over, ruling Cania and taking over the world... Mwa ha.

I don't know about giving it back. I can't remember that ending. Presumably it has something to do with an earlier action. [/hide]

As for the wings... When making custom potions it is not possible to do that, neither is it possible through various other channels unless you get really technical and write your own scripts. That is beyond me, but you might find some help (if you ask nicely) here.

I have:

Something like the Thayviard Circlet as a helm. Armor of Freedom as my Armor. Belt of Agility +4 as a belt..well duh. Boots of striding +5 as boots..And Greater Ogre Gauntlets.  ::). And My weapons are either:

The Shining Light of Lathander (I have 3  :-)

2 Reddish Aura battle axes (Forget Name)

Hammer Of ThunderBolt (WarHammer with Thunder Aura)

Schimitar of Speed (White Aura, Speed Upgrade: Haste)

Think of the others later.

You can with script modifiers, but I'm not advanced enough for that. There are hak paks that allow addition of all coloured wings, and several others... but only on NPCs. To put it bluntly, it is possible to add wings without being a dragon disciple.... But it's very, very diffuclt.

I certainly couldn't do it...

As for equipment... I make my own. ;D

• 2 years later...

Sorry for digging this up, but I've just gotten the Diamond edition, and I must say I love it! I haven't gotten far because I haven't had much time to play, but I'm kind of cross between playing a Wizard and a Sorceror. The Wizard seems more challenging but more interesting, so I don't really know...

Any advice?

(and nobody plays the original game modules online. They are always custom. Hey, whatever happened to good old online story-based roleplaying?)

• 1 year later...

I was going to start a thread about NWN modules, but instead I decided to megabump this one from the far reaches of history.

So, have you played any of the fan-made modules - and if so, which ones? I'd say the Hex Coda is a must-have for all sci-fi fans (it is set in a mostly sci-fi universe). I also greatly enjoyed Tales of Arterra, and the Shadowlords-Dreamcatcher-Demon series (though Demon was a disappointment).

ok, I gotcha.  yea, morrowind fighting engine got boring fast.  it was pretty much just hack n slash the whole way through, completely real time buttonmashing w/ you sword/mace/spell or whatever. pretty mindles, but man the story threads were so vast and detailed.  and the side plots were seemingly endless.  I played prob 300+ hours between two characters and still never finished even close to all the side story content.

So NwN sounds similar to the wow fighting engine? never played D&D.

My old roommate bought this game, and I had a lot of fun with it.  But then I moved out, and lost all my saved games.  I bought myself a copy (Diamond Edition), and although it was all neatly packed on one DVD, it didn't have that nice fat printed manual that the Platinum Edition had (Diamond has a big PDF file on the DVD instead).

Anyway, my character was a multiclass monk-rogue, which I found to be pretty effective.

You DO know that the Diamond edition comes with a hotfix to settle some bugs, don't you? And yeah, they don't have the hard copy of the manuals. There are actually several PDF manuals though. The shortcut provided gets you the NWN manual. The folder the game is installed in has manuals for the expansions.

• 1 year later...

Edric O super bumped the thread, so I figured I would instead of creating new thread. Neverwinter Nights diamond compilation is for sale at the online retailer I buy from for $15. Is it worth the money? I should be able to play the game at max graphics on my computer which would be great. It's based upon D&D, do I need to know how to do that? Or just create a character, and go kill things and other stuff normally in RPG/adventure games? There were lots of patches, so it should be stable and better than original release.

And no, my computer would not be fast enough to play NWN2 that great, as my computer can only play games up to 2005 at most (with lower graphic settings).

EDIT:

Oh, I think I'll download and play the demo.

EDIT:

Demo looked good, probably get the game sometime.

If you can get NWN Diamond Edition for only $15, then what are you waiting for? Go get it. Now. :)

It's absolutely worth it. The game does rely on D&D rules, and it's going to be much easier if you know those rules, but you can easily play it without any knowledge of D&D whatsoever (that was my situation when I first played through the campaigns, for example). Also, one of the best things about it is that it comes with a powerful editing tool that people have used to build countless adventures with a quality rivaling that of the official campaigns.

ok, I gotcha.  yea, morrowind fighting engine got boring fast.  it was pretty much just hack n slash the whole way through, completely real time buttonmashing w/ you sword/mace/spell or whatever. pretty mindles, but man the story threads were so vast and detailed.  and the side plots were seemingly endless.  I played prob 300+ hours between two characters and still never finished even close to all the side story content.

So NwN sounds similar to the wow fighting engine? never played D&D.

NwN, in my opinion, has quite a slow, repetitive combat system, but you should just check a video of it in case you would disagree with my view:

I think Morrowind was a lot better than NwN, your character could be developed very freely, and the game let's your character be a lot more mobile, for example, with my character, I could literally jump across mountains (it would cause a lot of damage when I would land though). Although, the combat system in Morrowind wasn't exactly really, really good either, but it was more enjoyable than NwN (imo).

I enjoyed chapter 1, and just started chapter 2. A bit overwhelmed with the stuff to do, I guess I talked to too many people in the town and have lots of quests. Do you guys normally get 1 quest and then go solve it and ignore everything else? I'm currently in a cave which I think was part of main quest suggestion.

Also, I ran out of hard drive space because of sygate firewall crashing because onboard lan isn't working, and so dr watson accumulated 9gb in 1 logfile (constantly writing to it). I was wondering why when I first installed the game and had max settings it ran very good, and today it was running very slow and I had to turn off half the graphics which still didn't help a lot. I uninstalled sygate since I rarely use the internet on winxp.

Havn't installed the newest patch yet (using what came installed), so I hope I can install it and continue playing.