Neverwinter Nights

bryorama

Chapters 1-3 in the original campaign of NWN follow the same formula: There is one central "town" area and several different surrounding areas. Most of the quests you get in town (including the main plot quest) require you to visit each of the surrounding areas in turn and do something (like finding an object, or killing someone) in each of them.

So it's best to get all the quests in town at the very beginning, then visit the surrounding areas one by one. Otherwise, if you don't get all the town quests in the beginning, you'll have to revisit the same surrounding area over and over again, as you find out that you have additional things to do there.

Also, just to warn you, chapter 2 is by far the longest chapter in the original campaign. If you do all the side quests, it might take you as long as chapters 1, 3 and 4 put together.

What character class are you playing, by the way? :)

Another player who started the game as Wizard :P

You should get the latest patch, or at least 1.68. If I'm not wrong, NWN Diamond is bugged by default (for instance, it's impossible to update using the updater as it's broken. It'd still download but refuse to install). If you just cannot get 1.68, use the hotfix that comes with the DVD. It would fix the game after your installation.

Not sure if it'd affect your savegames however.

So I'm a wizard, and I've been doing 'recommended' upgrades for most part (all for skills). I'm starting to think my intelligence for casting spells is too low (from what I've read it is needed for wizards casting spells). If I have higher intelligence, it means I can get higher level spells faster (or more spells memorized per level)? Or is that completely dependant upon character level.

from http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Wizard

Spellcasting: Arcane (intelligence-based, requires preparation, armor-related chance of spell failure is a factor); wizards begin the game knowing all cantrips and four 1st-level spells. Must have an intelligence score of 10 + the spell's level to cast a spell.

Last time I checked I have 21 intelligence, yet I cannot learn spells that are supposedly level 9?

I currently have level 7 spells.

I'm pretty sure I'd be level 14, thus according to chart, it would be normal for me to have only 2 level 7 spells memorized. Next level I get the 1 level 8 spell?

So I beat original NWM. Should I continue with my level 15 wizard or start a new character for the first expansion pack (shadows of undrentide)?

Deos it automatically adjust difficulty based upon my level? If I stay a lvl 15 wizard (with all my items and gold!?) would it be too easy to play? Can start new character (level1) and survive? I plan on being a sorcerer.

Undrentide was designed for level 1 characters, and it does not adjust. The original game's hero does not have a Bioware-made continuation, as far as I am aware. Though there are of course various efforts by fans. However, Undrentide's hero is canonically the same person as the hero in the next expansion, Hordes of the Underdark, which is designed to start with a character of about level 15-17.

HotU is my personal favourite, of course.

So I beat original NWM. Should I continue with my level 15 wizard or start a new character for the first expansion pack (shadows of undrentide)?

Deos it automatically adjust difficulty based upon my level? If I stay a lvl 15 wizard (with all my items and gold!?) would it be too easy to play? Can start new character (level1) and survive? I plan on being a sorcerer.

As Dante said, if you continue with your character from the original campaign, it will be far too easy. You're supposed to start with a new level 1 character in Shadows of Undrentide. In Hordes of the Underdark, however, you're supposed to continue with your character from Shadows of Undrentide.

And yes, HotU is my favourite campaign as well. :)

Yep, I started as new sorcerer in first expansion. The expansion at times is difficult (against bosses and puzzles). Currently at "interlude" in underground cavern (3rd part of interlude where guy identifies crystal, then you go into archaeological site). About to go through portal to chase the woman.

I don't actually recall whether you get your stuff back. Maybe... Anyway, there's better stuff around, even if it doesn't have the sentimental value of the old stuff.

I tended to custom design my kit anyway, so not sure.

I tended to custom design my kit anyway, so not sure.

What do you mean by that? Create items?

Also, with wizard/sorcerer when upgrading they usually want you to take "brew potion" but I've never created one with my wizard so I usually take some other spell enhancement with my sorcerer (extend, empower etc)

Brew potion is utterly useless...

In HotU, you will eventually run across a chest that contains all your old stuff. It is near the end of the first chapter, though, so don't expect to get your old stuff back too soon. Also, the chest will contain several different "pages" that you must scroll through in order to get all your old items.

The first time I played HotU, I thought the first "page" was the only one, and wondered why the game would selectively give me back only a random part of my old items. By the time I realized my mistake, it was too late. You find better items along the way, but at least I could have sold my old stuff...

And speaking of money, hold on to it. You will need to make some rather large... payments... at the end of HotU.

Brew potion is useless...

The Aurora Toolset was arguably more influential than the game itself, and has many different uses. You can make entire custom levels, play with scripting, or tweak the levels of the official campaign. You could use it to make yourself a munchkin, but where's the fun in that? I tended to just recolour bits of kit, or tweak conversations to make them less specific. I play a sorcerer myself, and the bulk of my effort went into making gear that I liked that wasn't too powerful and leaving it in specific chests throughout the game in time for the appropriate level. Only ever did it on second playthroughs though, as the first one has to be pristine. Spoilers be bad.

horde of underdark is good. Just started chapter 2. Got all my items that were stolen. Great for equipping my 2 helpers, and selling some other stuff.

It seems that I am maxing up to new levels very fast. Much faster than original game which would take hours, now only take 30 minutes.

I think I need to re-install.

You won't get any work done if you do.

The latest patch is great. No more DVD needed to be inserted to play. Having two henchmen is great. Deekin is much more useful now that he is upgraded more. I kinda ditched him for the sorcerer and trapper in shadow of undrentide. My other henchmen is the wizard/assassin female Nathyrra that you talk to in Hordes leading up to chapter 2.