Special Forces

Dunenewt

My brothers Karate Teacher, (Kenpo Karate), has learned moves and taught them to children from the Israeli Special Forces. Moves like choking people, disarming people, such things like that. Pretty cool if you ask me. I vote for Israel.

yea. . . pretty cool. . . . recruting children for the Special Forces and teaching people those moves. . . .I almost feel guilty and boring being against those things from the cool world you people live in .. .

SAS mission:

Peterhead Prison

In October 1987, the SAS were called up again to stop a problem in their own country. However this operation would include no guns. The SAS were called in to Peterhead Prison in Scotland. Prisoners had taken over the prison and needed to be subdued. The SAS was the only unit at the time with the means to carry out such a mission.

The team pumped a mixture of smoke and tear gas into the building. Once that was completed, an assault team made entry. They entered the building through a hole in the ceiling that the prisoners had made. Instead of MP-5s, the SAS Team was armed with long staves(batons). The Team approached the hole to be greeted by a prisoner. Using a flash-bang, the team quickly subdued the prisoner. Another problem needed to be taken care of. A prison guard was also being held by the prisoners. The team found the officer and quickly hurried him out of the building toward more waiting SAS soldiers.

The prison assault showed everyone that the SAS was capable of using their best judgment for each situation. It showed the public that guns are not always needed to achieve a victory.

Don't know.  If anyone watches Casualty on BBC1 there was something about a prison riot on there...

German GSG-9 GrenzSchutzGruppe - 9, SAS, and Somali special forces mission:

GSG-9s best known mission is the 1977 takedown of a terrorist held Lufthansa 707 in Mogadishu, Somali. A team of two men and two women hijacked the plane, demanding the release of Baader-Meinhof terrorists held in German jails. After the captain of the plane was killed, the German Government ordered GSG-9 in.

They arrived at 17:30 hours on 17, October 1977. Two SAS officers were along to "observe" the takedown; They brought the new "flash-bang" stun grenades with them. Members of GSG-9 and the two SAS troopers begin approaching the aircraft from the rear. At 23:50, with the help of the local Somali military, diversions were set up to distract the terrorists. They were told their demands had been met. Then a huge bonfire set by the Somali special forces began to burn 100 yards in front of the plane. At 00:05 (12:05 for those of you who can't read military time) the assault began.

Climbing up the rubber tipped ladders, 20 GSG-9 operators forced their way into the aircraft and tossed the flash-bang grenades towards the cockpit. One female terrorist was encountered immediately and killed. Another raced to the rear of the aircraft and barricaded herself in a toilet. She was critically wounded by a burst from an MP-5, but survived.

Two minutes after the assault began, the fuselage of the aircraft is secure and the evacuation of passengers begins as the battle rages for the cockpit. The leader of the terrorists tosses two fragmentation grenades at the GSG-9 operators; these detonate under a row of seats and do little harm. The leader is then dispatched by a burst of 9mm from a MP-5. The fourth and final terrorist is killed when the leader and father of GSG-9, Ulrich Wegener, places several .38 rounds into his head. Eleven minutes after the assault begins, the aircraft is secure, with no losses.

I was shocked when I saw what the norwegian soldiers did to those dogs. but that was not special forces.

that conditions in norway, the climate, gives the special forces good training. it is like sardaukars and fremens, here in norway it is cold and the conditions are very hostile. so I think that is one of the reasons why norwegian commandos are among the best.

Dunenewt, on your latest quoted article, why were SAS and GSG in Somalia, in Africa? Did they rush over? ???

Singapore Airlines SQ 117, which has 123 people on board, was hijacked at 2215 hours on 26 March 1991. There were four hijackers, believed to be members of a Pakistani leftist group, which has left a trail of violence, including an apparent assassination bid on the Pope. The group, Al Zulfikar, first gained notoriety when three of its members hijacked a Pakistani airliner to Kabul in 1981 holding more than 100 hostages. One Pakistani diplomat was killed at the airport and 54 Pakistan People's Party militants were released. One of the 54 militants who went free became the ringleader of the hijack.

The hijackers, armed with explosives hand grenades and knives, demanded the release of prisoners in Pakistan, including former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto's husband, Mr Asif Ali Zardarim who was arrested previous October. The terrorists' irrationality can seen when the hijackers took bottles of whiskey and cognacs and started spilling the contents all over the aisle as negotiation went on. The terrorists were clearly willing to put their own lives at stake.

After eight hours of negotiations, the hijackers turned aggressive, issuing a five-minute deadline, threatening to kill the hostages every 10 minutes if their demands were not met. As if to add credibility to their threat, one of the hijackers even said, "I promise you I will free every child, woman and man, but if you make trouble, I'll make trouble."

The politically stable Singapore Government then faced two choices, either giving in to the terrorists' demands or raiding the plane. Unlike the Indian government, the Singapore government, strongly controlled by the PAP, had the liberty to choose either route without fears of being overthrown by the Opposition in the event that things turned out badly. Furthermore, it helped that Singapore holds the honour of having one of the best commando troops in the region, and therefore executing a raid was a viable solution.

The assault appeared unavoidable when it was apparent to the authorities that negotiations with the terrorists were breaking down. While the terrorists still had the impression that the government was still open to negotiation, the Singapore government gave the order to conduct a surprise raid.

Within 30 seconds, all hijackers were shot dead and no passengers or crew were injured. The whole ordeal ended in less than 9 hours. The eventual outcome for the hijackers was death, and perhaps to irrational beings like them, also fame.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder who would win in a fight between Russian Spetsnaz commandos and US Army Rangers? And in what ratio between the two can they be considered on equal footing?

But I agree that Delta Force is one of the most elite Special Forces in the world today, that's for sure... I'd be glad to have those on my side when I'm fighting a war...