The Israeli-Palestinian conflict: a poll

Which side do you support?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which side do you support?

• Israel
    • Palestine
    • Neither

I think this poll is senseless. In times of Cold War it was easy. You could be with Moscow or Washington. Tyranny or freedom. And even solvement of this crisis wasn't hard: we can say such people as Wojtyla, Reagan, Thatcher and (tough maybe unconsciously) Gorbacov, solved everything in one decade and harvest ethernal sympathies for it from those, who value the freedom. Israel is harder task. You have a state, which some orthodox Jews don't accept for religious reasons, same as filistine terrorists do so, just they are too civilized to blow themselves up in buses. As well as it is possible to make a compromise here. In Cold War, it was inevitable that one of the sides will once fall. Here you have so many sides and view, that only problem is, that weapons are active. Not every (politically active) Jew wants what Sharon wants, as well as not every Filistine backs Arafat.

Ethnic cleansing? Lynching? Honestly, listen to yourselves!

Actually there have been lynchings of Israelis if you can find the casualty figures.  Still, I doubt one would have too much to fear of lynchings walking down the street.  Ethnic cleansing...just no...I agree that sounds extreme.

It's not a war it's !@#$ arabs took their children do them brain wash and than send them to do terror acts after that they take children and use them as sheild to their "soilders" and than blame us of killing children.

i don't think that all israel move are right and i agree with them but by killing their leaders that plan all this terror acts we do the right thing

so i support israel:P

Why didn't they just make a nation somewhere in the US called israel? the USA has so much land that they don't know what to do with it and the Israeli's and the US go very well together. And there's already more jews living in the USA than in Israel.

Why didn't they just make a nation somewhere in the US called israel? the USA has so much land that they don't know what to do with it and the Israeli's and the US go very well together. And there's already more jews living in the USA than in Israel.

LOL

Yes, I was thinking about the same thing before. But religion seems to play a big part in this, although I think it's more important of having faith than having your own land.

The Soviets ones had a land intended for the Jews, but well, we all know how that went. So now we have us a situation. Israel won't move because it's holy places are there, and it's the only place the Jews have had any history in. Same for the Palestinians, though their holy place are in Mekka nowadays.

And the christians also have their holy place in Jeruzalem. Isn't that evil.. What is happening now in Israel, between jews and muslims kinda happened 600 - 1000 years ago between christians and muslims. Perhaps it should be no man's land :) . As it is the centre of conflict since.... well too long :P . Nah i know this is not this simple. But realy, it IS a source of conflict.

This poll is a nonsense. Indeed you can't choose one side.

You can't support the situation of the palestinians which are very poor and have to go to Israel for working because their territory is collapsed.

On the other hand you have to understand israeli who want to live in peace and in safety.

It is still the same problem: the majority of people want to live together in peace, even if each side has to make sacrifice. But there is still a minority on both sides who doesn't want a common peace but destroy the other side.

For instance the israeli settlers who settle themselves in palstinian territories without abide the international laws. On the other hand you have the palestinian terrorists who doesn't want peace because they are not ready to share the territory.

This problem is too difficult. Furthermore those people are not helped by their governments. Those governments are infested by politician intern problems which forced them to have undefendable positions.

For instance Sharon and his wall or Arafat who is too closer from the terrorists.

So, you can't say "I'm pro palestinians or pro israeli" because you can't be against those people who are all victims of the situation.

Wow Man Gr8 Idea i always wanted to visit there:P

send latter to the USA goverment

Voted neither. I don't really have any opinion on the matter (after all, I don't think I know enough about it to make an educated decision), but even if I did I'd like to think I'd vote neither. It's none of my business.

I would like to thank the recent posts who recognize that there is not just side in this.  However this post still makes me angry:

Actually the Palestinians are the ones that try to do that (ethnic cleansing). Just think about this way, very simply, I meet a Palestinian. I won't get too excited and I'll probably try to speak with him. Now if an average Palestinian meets me, especially in a Palestinian City, all alone, he will probably try to lynch me with many other fallows.

Ok, lets look at the other side.  Imagine you are a Palestinian.  You live in the middle of the desert.  Your land is given away to migrant jews.  Admittedly, the general consensus from your relgious beliefs dictates a long standing distrust and hatred of jews, which ignites multiple wars and conflicts, but for all practical purposes doesn't affect what everyone keeps referring to as the "common man(palestinian or israeli)".  So as years go by, more and more of your land is taken.  Bulldozers topple your homes to make room for Israeli housing developments.  The region you live in is in economic ruin.  You are forced to go to Israel for work.  Humiliatingly, twenty year old israeli security guards patronize and degrade you in front of your family as you try to cross a security checkpoint.  The Israeli government enacts numerous sanctions against your region which prevent aid (such as water) from being adequitely provided by organizations such as the Red Cross.  There is simply not enough water in the majority of rural palestinian occupied areas.  You have no medical care, no sustaining local jobs, and you live in a hovel.  And still, the Israelis take your land.  Not to mention, the Israelis have plenty of water and medical care and prosperity and adequite housing and most importantly rights.  And they are indignant: the palestinians are mindless mobs, their racial/religious hatred fosters unreasonable etc etc etc.  So you become a freedom fighter, the only thing which seems reasonable in your mind.  These are desperate people.  Desperate people commit attrocities. (Now I'm not trying to defend the suicide bombings but I am showing you their reasoning).

Now this is what I see as the defendable Israeli position:  You have been shunned by governments from around the world(post WW2).  You want an independent jewish state where you are safe and possess self-determination.  The palestinians appear to you as hateful anti-semites like the torturous people from europe who either abused your relatives or friends, or at the very least would not allow you to live in their country.  A single palestinian blows up a bus; you raid a ghetto in order to kill a faction leader- some innocents die.  Those innocents have relatives left over.  They bomb a checkpoint.  You lose a son.  Something must be done.  You build a wall.  Palestinians bomb your wall...

It never ends.  The difference in sides is that the Israelis took the land.  I don't believe in the claim that the land was there for Israel's taking.  The same view is applied to america and the Indian.  Additionally, Israel obviously has more control and organization and is in a better position for progressive compromises and change.  No matter how unreasonable Palestinian terrorists may seem, the burden for peaceful compromise lies with Israel.

btw I didnt even get into the whole religious claim to certain lands- which is terribly complicated, but suffice it to say I think such places should be put under UN or some sort of international control to avoid further complications.

Now you dont have to agree with me, but please dont call people ignorant or racist for trying to understand the palestinian side of the conflict (or the Israeli one for that matter).