Earth

exatreide

oh and I read before that somebody said that earth is in another galaxy. that is dead wrong. In frank herberts novels it says that the planet revolves around the Canopus star which is only a few lightyears from earth.

Look up the star charts.

What planet revolves around the Canopus star TMA_1?

The books are set approximatly 25'000 years in the future.

Navigators fold space like a rubber sheet. It's a theory made by some important scientist guy. I could post it if you would like.

I posted a similar question (about earth) to the alt.fan.dune newsgroup, and one guy referred to the DE as mentioning earth was severely ruined and then placed off-limits.

BTW, In House Harkonnen some people are called Terrazi's. This sounds a lot like 'people from earth'

Plus, I believe that in Dune Messiah there is also some text about Paul holding a conch shell from Mother Earth!

Additionally, somewhere in the religion appendix in Dune, it says that the OC Bible was established in orbit around earth.

That means that it's not just fiction, it's sci-fi or science fiction. So there is some science involved in it.

Although I look at Dune as a saga or probbebly fantasy more than placing it in the sci-fi bookshelf. :)

so everybody suddenly changes their minds.lol People on this forum constantly talk about the scientific properties of Dune so it shouldnt screw up with stuff like that. anyways frank never said it is in the horse head nebula.

Science fiction only states that there is a minOOte smudge of science in it, and all the rest can be hardcore madness. A book about love and romance, set in space, could be classified as SciFi. Kinda silly, but oh well.

I found some other interesting thing in the Dune appendix on religion...

something like:

"and the CET convened on a neutral island on Old Earth, the spawning ground of all ancient religions"

what island does he mean? I thought of Israel at first, but that aint an island

well that doesn't seem very likely, because humans weren't even around at the time of Pangeae IIRC and it used to be everything (all land mass), thus make it unnecessary to refer to it as being 'the spawning ground of all religions"

• 2 months later...

I read the a couple of post about earth being destroyed during the butlerian Jihad.

That is wrong. Earth probably still exsist. Cos after BJ all religions with over 1 million members catered at a neutral island on Oldjorden, which is norwegian for OldEarth. There they dsicussed something, which I don't remember.

This inforamtion is located in the Appendix of Dune under Dune's religion.