killing a sandworm

Big D

I have set up a base on sandy pass.

(I defeated the enemy and captured a lasertank in an advanced carryall and force-moved it to a corner of the map)

I had the fremen and the guild as sub-houses.

the fremen because the fedyakyn(sp) can summon a worm and the guild because the niab tank has a high worm attraction (8)

I send some devastators and niab tanks to a sandy area and prepared a death hand.

a crawling worm appeared, I launched my deathand missile and destructed my devastators.

unfortunatly the worm fled(did not die)

I have yet to see the ''vertical'' worm, it's appearance is somewhat longer, so that gives plenty of time to launch a deathhand missile and drop in in it's mouth (litterally).

I hope that this will kill it.

I wonder how ''messy'' it will be (evil grin)

I've tried dropping a Death Hand missile into a vertical worm's open mouth before. >:)

I've even tried Chaos Lightning and the Hawk Strike.

Although the horizontal worm that skims the surface of the sand is affected noticeably in varying degrees by all 3 superweapons, the vertical worm can not be stopped or killed. It does have a health value, but the health is just so high that no matter how many units you have, you wouldn't be able to rack up anywhere near enough damage to even threaten it, before it sinks back into the ground.

EDIT: Instead of sacrificing lots of expensive units, use a projector, and project expensive units/units that attract worms quickly, and group them in a cluster on the sand. When the vertical worm comes to eat the fake units, send some real units to take pot shots at the worm, and you should get your units some chevrons here and there. ;)

Question: Why do sandstorms seem to target your massed deployed Kindjal's directly?

I was playing the campaign once against the Ordos, I was pretty fearless because of my formidable defence of Kindjal's, but a storm appeared roughly a half of the map away from the rock piece my base and Kindjal's were deployed on, and it came *Right for them*, when it reached the spot where they were deployed, it just stopped there and started going in small circles... What a pest :P

About killing crawling worms, Sonic Tanks do the trick.

2-3 normal ones can kill it with 1 shot from each of them. A rank-2 Sonic Tank can kill it with only 1 shot.

• 5 weeks later...

Just tried it. I made the vertical worm weaker than the normal surface worm that skims across the sand. I then went into the game and projected lots of Devastators and Minotauruses, and marched them out across the sand.

When the vertical worm arrived, I dropped a death hand directly into its mouth.

There appears to be no death animation for the vertical worm. It doesn't fall apart, or anything fancy, the ground under the worm simply flashes as if the worm was about to pop up out of the sand again, and the worm just sinks back into the sand normally.

• 4 weeks later...