Herberts vs fanfic

bloke

Its only if they profit off it I think

I have a different understanding: seems clear to me that Brian Herbert finds fan fics undesirable and claims he has the competence to engage law pursuits, whenever he wants, wether profit is made or not.

On the other hand we are not given a limit, a usage or mis-usage of the Duniverse that would trigger such an action.

So if you write a non-profit fan fic, you are still in a pretty safe (yet precarious) situation.

Forgive my ignorance but why are the Herberts unhappy with fan fiction?

Brian Herbert appropriately estimates he has the monopoly of Dune related texts, which are the core of the Duniverse.

If the available legal texts are not enough, you are supposed to feed your Dune appetite with licensed video and game derivatives, you are not legally supposed to read or write fan fics.

Brian Herbert's stuff IS fan fiction... the only difference is that he has the copyright and I suspect he wouldn't like to see some competition to his fanfic.

Yes, it's the only legal fanfic, so he considers any competition as a loss (or potential loss) of income.

Raymond E. Feist is against people writing fanfics about his books (who is related to the game Betrayal At Krondor), and he also said instead of doing that, make up your own world. Which is exactly what I did. (it was after seeing that which started it all)

http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/~sherrya/

check it out :)

I put many weeks in to the map, which I still havent converted completely to one large file to edit easily.

I still have to complete my large castles for each "faction"

But sadly it hasnt been updated much in the last month.

small elf small.JPG Look at the pretty elves. ;)

Fanfiction.net has a list when you log in, of authors who won't allow fanfic to be submitted about their works, and will sue you.

FanFiction.Net respects the expressed wishes of the following authors and will not archive entries based on their work:

Anne Rice

Anne McCaffrey

Raymond Feist

Robin McKinley

Laurell K. Hamilton

Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb

Irene Radford

P.N. Elrod

Brian should get his name added.

Forgive my ignorance but why are the Herberts unhappy with fan fiction?

Brian Herbert appropriately estimates he has the monopoly of Dune related texts, which are the core of the Duniverse.

If the available legal texts are not enough, you are supposed to feed your Dune appetite with licensed video and game derivatives, you are not legally supposed to read or write fan fics.

Surely to goodness any non-profit fanfic is totally _un_ illegal? What law can be considered to break it?

Isn't it a bit simplistic to just attribute their attitude to jealousy? I can't say that I have ever spoken to the guy but he can't be that petty surely?

Personally speaking I would never endorse such a short sighted view as it is self defeating.

Fanfiction.net has a list when you log in, of authors who won't allow fanfic to be submitted about their works, and will sue you.

FanFiction.Net respects the expressed wishes of the following authors and will not archive entries based on their work:

Anne Rice

Anne McCaffrey

Raymond Feist

Robin McKinley

Laurell K. Hamilton

Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb

Irene Radford

P.N. Elrod

Brian should get his name added.

Shame on all of them, do they want to alienate their fans?

Maybe some people enjoy telling stories in 'their' worlds? That surely msut be the highest complement that these people can receive.

Andrew - what exactly are you basing your comments about Feist on? i bet you that i own and have read more of his books than you, and have had Betrayal at Krondor for much longer than you

i used to read stuff that he posted on the web, and he was cool with people using his characters in MUDs and play-by-email games so long as they didn't charge for it or do stupid things with the characters

anyhow, Brian Herbert sounds like a real jerk and all of *his* books are fanfictions and I am quite sure that Frank Herbert is cringing in his grave at the horrendous writing of the Dune "Miniserieses".

someone needs to tell Brian Herbert to STFU

I havn't read any of his books, and I'm sure you had the game longer than me.

Anne Rice

Anne McCaffrey

Raymond Feist

Robin McKinley

Laurell K. Hamilton

Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb

Irene Radford

P.N. Elrod

http://www.fanfiction.net/guidelines.php

Fanfic - The Facts

Now, the "official" notice:

Fans are discouraged from writing any fiction in Midkemia or using any of

the characters created by Raymond E. Feist in other settings. While the

author understands this practice of "fanfic," or fan fiction stems from

enthusiasm over the work, it is nevertheless a copyright infringement and

an abuse of the author's legal rights. The author suggests that fans turn

that creative impulse into creating their own, original, worlds and

characters. It's much more entertaining creating your own universe than

working in someone else's.

OK, that's the official disclaimer.

The reason I have to take this position is due to years of abuse by fans of

other writers/TV shows/movies. The copyright issues are complex and

often don't seem to make sense, but the financial risk to myself and my

family is real. So, be the "Raymond E. Feist" of your own universe and

have a blast. If you get good at it, you never know, someone might

someday be writing you fan mail.

Thanks for understanding.

Best, R.E.F.

http://www.crydee.com/feist/refindex.htm

The last quote was from Feist himself.

Isn't it a bit simplistic to just attribute their attitude to jealousy? I can't say that I have ever spoken to the guy but he can't be that petty surely?

Personally speaking I would never endorse such a short sighted view as it is self defeating.

On the positive side Brian Herbert has emailed the author of "Dune: Advent" and told him he appreciated the fanfic, which is quite encouraging (note that was long before he's writing his own Dune 7).