Preparation: Modern Pirates

Lord J

You know, this "Preparation" post idea was good. I never thought of doing it quite like this before, but it would have saved a lot of time and boredom.

Modern Pirates

I'm thinking about starting a game based on a radio show I heard a long time ago. This guy had been sailing in his personal yacht, and his ship was boarded by members of an Asian navy, to steal anything of value.

Pirating activities has been considered obsolete for about 200 years, with the buildup of allied navies, coast guards, etc. and modern weaponry. However, the sea still takes up most of the Earth's area, and it still gets pretty lonely and quiet out in the middle of nowhere.

A moderately decently armed fighting crew, with minimal luck, could undoubtedly take most personal yachts and fishing boats. Larger vessals, such as cruise ships and oil tankers would only take a bit more crew, organization, and weaponry than the pirating crews of old. Even the navy cruisers of today, even the incredible carrier ships, crewed by hundreds of naval men and women, could be boarded, looted, and even sunk if done carefully and intellegently.

In the game I'm getting ready to make (if you guys show interest), the time has come for a new brand of capitalism. Not earned, but taken!

You will command a vessal crewed by elite fighting men through the deepest and darkest of the Earth's oceans. You will encounter varying sizes of ships, on varying missions of thier own, and take, you guessed it, varying types of treasure. Gold, silver, plutonium, nukes, guns, drugs, food supplies, slaves, prisoners and even alien cargo, and much more!

Here's what i'm thinking in the line of rules, etc.

You launch from a country of your choosing as criminals, unable to return to your country of origin for at least 5 years for danger of recognition.

You launch with a small ship, about the size of a small yacht, with 3 to 10 men, rifles and handguns to go around, a finite supply of ammunition, food supplies for a month at sea, and fuel for about 3 months.

I will write in any type of vessel you encounter, depending on what direction you head. You write if you intend to attack it, and I write the battle, who, if anyone is killed, and what, if any, treasure is found.

Depending on the type of treasure, your next action is pretty obvious. Gold or silver is valuable pretty much anywhere, but I wouldn't suggest attempting to smuggle nukes or plutonium into the US. Food supplies or fuel may be used onboard to remain at sea for a longer voyage. Also, ports will have varying types of goods to sell to the intellegent buyer. A smart player could simply become a smuggler of any number of goods, without boarding a single vessel.

Distance matters. Start off the Atlantic American coast and head east long enough, and you'll hit Europe. However, as I typed above, you will start off with only a month's supply of food, and about 3 months of fuel. A month's worth a food won't mean much to starving men on your 6 month voyage to England. (I realize I'm probably mistaken about the length of time it would require to travel from New York to England by yacht, but there has to be limits, and I think the food crisis idea makes sense.) So if you start off the Atlantic coast of the US, where should you go? Mexico is probably a good guess, not to mention Cuba, and the slew of South American countries a bit southwest. Or Canada, Greenland, or the Arctic, way up north.

So, the idea sounds quite a bit different from the alien invasions and battles for Arrakis we've been doing lately, but I think it sounds pretty good. Tell me what you guys think :)

I'll be in! :)

Although your nautical estimates are a little... colourful. It should take a reasonably slow ship (eg, a tanker) only ten days to sail across the Atlantic. Sailing ships would undoubtedly be slower... Perhaps you should set this further back in time? With the tall ships? And possibly choosing our startoff point? Possibly.

Ooooh, nice!

EDIT: Glad the 'preperation' idea went down well. This thread could be very useful... for ideas and such.

would it be possibel to use a danish crew, but set sail from Vietnam?

I see no reason why that should be impossible, you could be a Danish cell, terrorists, or a government-supported probe team, something like the US Navy SEALs, sent to 'Nam for covert operations. You defect, however, and steal a vessal.

Hrmm, the only thing, if Denmark is your country of origin, even if you launch from 'Nam, it will be impossible for you to go to either Denmark or 'Nam for 5 years, lest you are identified. Which should cause no problem :)

I'll be in! :)

Although your nautical estimates are a little... colourful. It should take a reasonably slow ship (eg, a tanker) only ten days to sail across the Atlantic. Sailing ships would undoubtedly be slower... Perhaps you should set this further back in time? With the tall ships? And possibly choosing our startoff point? Possibly.

Ooooh, nice!

EDIT: Glad the 'preperation' idea went down well. This thread could be very useful... for ideas and such.

I figured my estimates were a little off. But I don't really like the idea of being able to jet from port to port so quickly. If someone could come up with a better option, I'll be more than happy to consider it.

I think the time aspect would work better in a time 200+ years ago, pre-combustion engine, or a few hundred years in the future, using space instead of sea. However, the idea is centered around modern times, on Earth, with resources we all know too well.

I prefer the idea of the player choosing the starting point, as I typed in the first post. The way, he may play in the area he likes.

A few more rules:

Battles will go in this order: You sail along for as long as you like. On your radar, you see a ship. As you move closer, I type in what you see. What type of ship, the ship's name, what of the crew you see, etc. You decide whether to attack, and how you want to attack, what type of strategies, etc. Launch your attack, I will fight it out and tell you your reward. You choose what to do with the ship you have attacked, any crew you have taken hostage, and any treasure you have taken.

Time is not relative. You may travel for as long as you like in a single post, as long as you have the food and fuel to permit it.

Crew: 3 to 10 men-at-arms. Period. More than ten fighting men on a small yacht would get very hectic in a short amount of time. I'm not going to allow for upgrading ships right now, as I'm trying to keep things simplistic. So, if you have volunteers to join your ship, you should either, a: kill them, b: sell them, c: (my favorite) create a match between the volunteer and another member of the crew. Who wins is up to you, unless you would rather let me decide, in which case I'll write out the battle sequence.

Questions or comments?

When do you guys think I should start the thread?

do u just say 'mr dozy has encounterd a tanker' and then when i go online i post my response?

Something like that.

I'll probably write it as something more to the effect of:

Aboard the S.S. Dozy (Enter your own name for your vessel):

Lt. Casparigus turns to you and says, "Sir, it's an Austrailian oil tanker. The name is S.S. KoalaValdez. Oil tankers like this are usually not very well crewed, and weapons will probably not be available. But, they are Austrailians."

"And Austrailians rarely run away from a fight."

"Correct sir," the Leiutenant nods and asks, "Your orders, Captain?"

And you reply with your plans to either attack or let it go unmolested. You also may choose how you want the battle to begin, a full frontal assault, a trap, a strategy of some other type...Whatever. :)

is there no interaction to other users?

I'm trying to figure out how that would be undertaken. I'm sure you could interact, but the nature therof would be very complex.

Any ideas?

would it be possibel to use a danish crew, but set sail from Vietnam?

I see no reason why that should be impossible, you could be a Danish cell, terrorists, or a government-supported probe team, something like the US Navy SEALs, sent to 'Nam for covert operations. You defect, however, and steal a vessal.

Hrmm, the only thing, if Denmark is your country of origin, even if you launch from 'Nam, it will be impossible for you to go to either Denmark or 'Nam for 5 years, lest you are identified. Which should cause no problem :)

well I was thinking of something along the lines of being the leader of a political party, the party would of couse be outlawed as it had tried and failed a coup, then the party leader (me) and the top 3 members of party would then have fled to Vietnam (for obvious reasons :D) but as the danish govermant requests the party top handed over, the party and some vietnarmese henchmen set sail.

babylon, how long have you been gone, I can hardly remember you

allmost a year now I think. 9 months or so. but I fought in the first great undersea battle :)

[edit]I looked in my messages just now and there are 9 messages from you there :D[/edit]

I'll play could I have the pheonix 1000 as my pirate ship?

( http://www.ussubmarines.com/Luxury_folder/lux.phoenix.html )

That, dang, I dunno. Man, I'd almost sell my mother to have that thing 8)

If no-one else minds, though, I see no reason why not. :)

well I was thinking of something along the lines of being the leader of a political party, the party would of couse be outlawed as it had tried and failed a coup, then the party leader (me) and the top 3 members of party would then have fled to Vietnam (for obvious reasons :D) but as the danish govermant requests the party top handed over, the party and some vietnarmese henchmen set sail.

Sure, whatever floats your boat. (Snicker, snicker)

I would like to join. As my return fan fiction :)

Hey, welcome back, dude.

Well, I think I'm going to start it off Monday. I've got a lot to settle with my school between now and then, and, although the classes start up that day, hopefully I'll be able to have time to get the stuff done.

Let's see...Interaction between players...

Ok, I was thinking about this earlier tonight. We can run the combat system like Kanly, maybe 3 rounds instead of 5. That will keep us from one-post battles, anyway. In the "fatality" round, as it were, you may decide what to do with the enemy ship and cargo. As for the prisoner(s), the player's main character may not be killed. Other than that...(shrug). Trading is also an option.

I'll play could I have the pheonix 1000 as my pirate ship?

( http://www.ussubmarines.com/Luxury_folder/lux.phoenix.html )

That, dang, I dunno. Man, I'd almost sell my mother to have that thing 8)

If no-one else minds, though, I see no reason why not. :)

My own Fan fiction submarine... *wets self*

It comes with the mini sub too right?

Sell your mother?? want mine for free? :D

No show, just yet. This has been one of the most hellacious days of my young existence, and I'm doing a 16-hr semester this go-round. I'm starting to remember why I took so long off around the end of last semester.

If someone else would like to start a Modern Pirates game, you have my permission. Just make sure I get credit for the idea. I think i'm going to stick with Kanly and TGED for right now, but a new war game? Not right now.

BTW, No, I don't want your mother. ;)