Turrets, which do you think is the best? (Warning: VERY LONG POST!)

Exo Etherial

Now, most players I know don't use turrets. They prefer to not have to spend time and money in making something that cannot shoot back if something if out of their range.

However, they also cannot deny the usefulness of having turrets scattered around a base. Whether to kill sneaky ACP-drops, or to keep the lines if that all-or-nothing attack didn't go quite as planned; turrets do have a use.

I have a list that two of my buddies and I (I just speak for them...) have made from best to worst. The categories that were used when choosing each Turret are in order of usefullness/suckitude: Firepower, cost, utility (Infantry/vehicle specific or effective against both? Can it shoot both air and land?), range, friendly fire, power consumption, and toughness. Please also note that these selections were made under real fighting conditions, and with a mobile in-base garrison for back up.

--------------------------------------------------

The first choice that our little semi-cabal came up with is the Atry Machine Gun Turret. With frightening universal firepower, decent range, low cost, and no power needs. This turret is tops if you have to worry about masses of oncoming... Well just about anything, especially effective when backed up with Mongeese and Air Drones.

Harkonnen Gun Turret came in second. With enviable range, high amounts of universal damage to both land and air, along with unusual toughness and nonexistent friendly fire. This turret would have been tops if not for the power needs. As my friend Ooh-Ooh-KaChoo-Sexty-Two pointed out a single well-timed Infiltrator strike can make your expensive Gun Grid useless.

Atry Missile Turret for a well-deserved Third. Dazzling range, good firepower against vehicles in both land and air, along with good armor, and no chance of shooting yourself in the foot. Truly a Jack Of All Turrets, it performs any task that you need a static defense for well. However, it's mediocre rate of fire, vehicle-specific attack, and power needs make it just good at everything and not exceptional...

Ordos Pop-Up Turret for a controversial fourth. Only the extreme anti-vehicle attack, and moderately effective anti-infantry attack pulled this one ahead of the Harkonnen Flame Turret. A good rate of fire and its penchant for concentrating on what you want it to shoot at also helped. But the latter is only because it cannot shoot at things in the air. It has a range that is counter-intuitive of its primary roll of an anti-vehicle turret; its hardiness leaves much to be desired. Its need of power has also knocked it down a few notches to the panel. This turret, in our opinion, was never meant to be what a turret should be: A stand-alone defense.

Harkonnen Flame Turret for a contested fifth. Ultimate anti-infantry capabilities with a moderate anti-vehicle punch, but only if the vehicle is standing still. And isn't heavier than a Missile Tank. With a tendency to fry your own troops, vehicles and buildings, this turret is a masochist's dream. Its range is good for what it does, but this doesn't make up for its high fratricide rate.

And finally the Ordos Gas Turret for a useless sixth out of six places. Incredible range and an anti-infantry power that is even better than the Harkened Flame Turret. But it is like hocking loogies against a brick wall when pitted against ANY vehicle . . . PERIOD. This turret also has a slow moving projectile, giving it a tendency to miss its targets. This makes its range working against it. The area-of-effect quality to it gives it an edge over projected units, if they hit them. The same quality also lends to its friendly fire ratings. Instantly killing Chemical Troopers meant to back them up.

All rating and/or comments were made by Sekurio, Ooh-Ooh-KaChoo-Sexty-Two, and Minxed-Missile.

--------------------------------------------------

Were we fair in our ratings?

• 3 weeks later...

I say the Ordos Pop-Up and the Gas Turret to be equally last OR maybe the Gas Turret somewhat better.

Why?

The Ordos Pop-Up uses the same amount of power and cost the same as the turrets which are in the same grade in other houses, but it has a far shorter range than other's, not to mention it doesn't have AA capability.

Although the Gas Turret has massive range, but its warheads ain't guided and the shot's slow projector is the combination which makes it extremely inaccurate when against making targets. Its quite effective against infantry inmass, but is virtually useless against any vehicles.

1.Atr Machinegun post

2.Harkonnen Flame Turret

3.Atriedes Rocket turret

4.Harkonnen Gun Turret

5.Ordos Gas

6.Ordos Pop-up

It'll say its:

1.Atr Machinegun post

2.Harkonnen Gun Turret

3.Atriedes Rocket turret

4.Harkonnen Flame Turret

5.Ordos Gas

6.Ordos Pop-up

Why?

The Flame Turret's disadvantage is it hurt your own unit if its around the turret.

Why Gun Turret is beter than Rocket turret is because fast aerial unit tends to be able to out run the missile while the Gun Turret never misses also it somewhat has a better anti-infantry capability.

The Flame Turret's disadvantage is it hurt your own unit if its around the turret.

That is if a n00b is dumb enough to place his unit/units right in front of it ;)

fast aerial unit tends to be able to out run the missile while the Gun Turret never misses also it somewhat has a better anti-infantry capability.

Yes,100% right. ;)

Why not the Imperator Cannon ( ;) Edric)?

My idea is this:

1) Harkonnen Gun Turret

2) Atreides Machine Gun Post

3) Atreides Rocket Turret

4) Ordos Pop-up Turret

5) Harkonnen Flame Turret

6) Ordos Gas Turret

My idea is that a turret sucks after the moment it is placed. When a turret is placed, it can easily be outranged, or in many cases hit 'n run is good enough to destroy the turret.

That is why the turret is less usefull in this game then in other games. Many people found that out, and said that turret sucked, because they no longer had the usefulness of what it had before.

But it has still 2 important roles.

1) In an Engineer rush, when you captured a building. Then it's nice to place some turrets near, so you can destroy important buildings quickly (turrets rock against buildings)

2) When you are rushed. Imagine 10 Dust Scouts and 2 Laser Tanks in your base. When you build a unit, that unit can do a bit of damage, and then it is destroyed, resulting into nothing.

But when you build a Machine Gun Posts for example. It comes up with surprise, and before the oppponent has a chance to react, several units has been destroyed.

The Harkonnen Gun Turret comes here in the first place, because it is also pretty good against airborne, and it can do much damage

It's obvious why the Gas Turret is last

They all have there advantages,

Atreides machine gun turret is good all around.

The Pop up turret is best against armor.

Hark flame turret is best against infantry

The hark machine gun is best against air.

They are all useful.

Yeah,when they are needed.

Sometimes when you have finished all the buildings that you need to build when its a long game,then build a Level 1/2 turret and just don't deploy it.And when any enemy unit(s) breaches your defense and enters your base,deploy it down and watch the fun........Hehehe.........

Hmm, in late game, then the 1 turret won't matter so much.

But you can do very much damage indeed to the enemy rush by popping out turrets of nowhere.

I once stopped an entire Mino rush, I had little base defence, and the rush attacked. And then with help of turrets I stopped the entire rush. (But, resulting into having lost my entire base defence, and another rush was approaching)

If you look at elite players like Elite47,Navaros,harkdawg,etc.,they actually do not build turrets.

They build turrets when needed. It all depends on the game.

And BTW, dont include Nav in that list he just claims to be an elite. ;)

If you look at elite players like Elite47,Navaros,harkdawg,etc.,they actually do not build turrets.

If they're playing against a player turtling, and if they don't build turrets.... big mistake!!

My idea is this:

1) Harkonnen Gun Turret

2) Atreides Machine Gun Post

3) Atreides Rocket Turret

4) Ordos Pop-up Turret

5) Harkonnen Flame Turret

6) Ordos Gas Turret

Gun Turret first?

Lets sort it this ways, we should separately sort the turrets out by non-powered and powered.

1) Harkonnen Gun Turret 2) Atreides Rocket Turret 3) Ordos Pop-up Turret for powerede turrets

1) Atreides Machine Gun Post 2) Harkonnen Flame Turret 3) Ordos Gas Turret for non-powered, there should be doubt about this.

Again, devastator_mech underestimates something, a player won't get the chance to turtle against a good player.

If your opponent is highly developed in defensive tactics? A good player only means experienced, and has no guarantee in anything.

That is if a n00b is dumb enough to place his unit/units right in front of it ;)
Well if you need to rush a unit to a place while the turret is doing its job and the quickest way is to go through it?

You can't always control everything.