Tropico

Edric O

So, has anyone played this great game? Personally, I LOVE IT! :) It's good to be El Presidente. ;)

This is a topic to share your impressions, winning strategies, in-game politics, etc.

And also, I thought it would be fun if everyone would post the profile that fits his real personality best. Mine is:

Background: Leftist Author

Rise to Power: Communist Rebellion (he he he ;D )

Qualities: Diplomat

Incorruptible

Flaws: Paranoid

Religious Zealot

So nobody here actually played it? :-

Well, it fits under the category of city-builder games (a little bit like SimCity), but much, much better! You are the new ruler of a small tropical island nation in the Carribean. They call you "El Presidente". Unlike other city-builders, Tropico puts a lot of focus on poliics. You can hold free elections or be an oppressive dictator. You can be a communist or a capitalist. You can ally with the United States or the Soviet Union. And last but not least, you can benefit from a wide range of not-so-legal activities, like bribing, election fraud, assasinating your political opponents and stashing away money in your private Swiss bank account!

Not that I would do any of those things. ;D

Are you crazy, Tenzul? I ALWAYS play as Incorruptible! And I always hold free elections, because it does wonders for my people's liberty rating, and I don't need any soldiers. (in fact, I usually have no soldiers AT ALL, not even for my Palace - they're useless if the people are happy)

I just read a bunch of review and i dont think you can attack. The soldiers are just for defence against rebels and revolutions. God i want to fricken order this game up NOW! Im gonna try to get some money together and order of online because all the stores around me dont have it. This game looks greeeeatttt i cant wait!

Anybody that wants more information check this out....

http://tropico.godgames.com/index-tropico.html

Scytale, you are a disgrace to Communism! :P

I follow the true path of Communism! I am a benevolent democratic president who keeps all his people happy, equal and free! Viva la Republica Comunista de Tropico! :)

Oh, and I always piss off the Americans. ;D

Btw, Duke, you can't actually wage war on another country. You only need soldiers to protect yourself from rebels and popular uprisings. And you only get those if your people are unhappy. So if you keep your people happy, there's no need for a military!

However, you CAN get invaded yourself, by either the USA or the USSR, if you piss off one of them too much. That is, unless you have alliance with the other one (so that they protect you). I usually ally with Russia as soon as possible, so I can annoy the Americans as much as I want. ;)

And finally, here's a screenshot of my beautiful island, from one of my best games so far. :) (see attachment)[attachment archived by Gobalopper]